Very fine workmanship from Amplitude

Erik Mandaville

A pair of his MKIIIs were recently shown here. This person does exceptionally fine work, including great attention to detail on these chassis from Welborne Labs. While this type of metal plate over wooden frame chassis approach might not provide the same immunity from RFI/EMI, it should be fine for most. Please note the carefully drilled holes around the tube sockets for ventilation. Really very nice IMO, and the best part -- the price. I would buy this amp right now if I could, because I have looked at his work for a few years, now.

The cost is uncommonly low, and it does not reflect poor quality. A really good buy, I think, for someone who might like to get into tubes -- or who already is!

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?ampstube&1131413706&auc&3&4&

Erik

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also agree...this looks to be a first-rate build from a proven design using quality parts throughout. And if I wasn't financially challenged, I too would also consider purchasing this power amp (it couldn't be any worse than what I already own, right Craig? Heh)![:)]

Sorry Craig, I'm a li'l slow on the outtake. Is this opinion based on the disagreement you had with Erik awhile back concerning this fella who builds Dynaco-based power amps using old, used unrefurbished parts? Being inexperienced in the electrical/restoration/rebuilding arena, I wouldn't know what to expect, if this is an acceptable practice, or a ticking timebomb just waiting to go off in your face! I'm not trolling or eager to start a flame war...I'm just curious about your honest opinion, Craig...

Sorry Craig, I'm a li'l slow on the outtake. Is this opinion based on the disagreement you had with Erik awhile back concerning this fella who builds Dynaco-based power amps using old, used unrefurbished parts? Being inexperienced in the electrical/restoration/rebuilding arena, I wouldn't know what to expect, if this is an acceptable practice, or a ticking timebomb just waiting to go off in your face! I'm not trolling or eager to start a flame war...I'm just curious about your honest opinion, Craig...

No time bomb here.

In my case, at that ridiculously low price, I'd wouldn't even bother to suffer the pain of shipping an amp. I don't know why he bother making amps. He's making pocket money by doing so.

I'd be rather curious to know what Craig doesn't like about this amp. Especially for the price we're talking about here.

So is the switch close to that a bad thing? Looks clean and 35 watts seems good and I wonder how much it will sell for.

When is Craig coming out with a 35 watt affordable amp?

Thanks Erik, it looks very, very nice......wish I were in the market for my tube amp right now...[:)]

Geezz guy's this place is like a pile of mud. I'm only kidding it is a good deal on the amp for sure. The guy won't be in business long at those prices so don't plan on a long warrantee.

My only problem with the entire Idea is the amp is not an original Dynaco so why stay with a anemic circuit? Yea they sound okay but they could sound oh so much better IMHO (IMHO is just to try and keep the nasty comments that I'm sure will follow to a minimum) An amp like that is worth less then a stock Dynaco properly rebuilt on the resale market.

If you factor in the Iron and the chassis cost he has $350 in it right there unless Ned and Ron are giving him a deal which would surprise me. The rest of the parts would easily add up to another $150 or more. Boxing them up another $15. The guy is going to go broke quick.

But let me say it again at the price it is surely a steel! But don't expect to get nocked off your socks with dynamics or detail.

Craig

So is the switch close to that a bad thing? Looks clean and 35 watts seems good and I wonder how much it will sell for.

When is Craig coming out with a 35 watt affordable amp?

Thanks Erik, it looks very, very nice......wish I were in the market for my tube amp right now...[:)]

Craig will never come out with a product that performs like that! It wouldn't even interest me in the least. Any product that I release will nock your Sonic socks off or it ain't leaving my door. You can not do that for $600 here or in China used parts or new. I plan to pay my house payment and the lights[;)]

Craig

That's a guy named Chris Miller. He's ok. He obviously isn't doing this to make a living. He's bought some of the ST70 chassis I made. In fact, he made me an ST70 using one of my chassis and a spare set of ST70 Output transformers I had on hand. No mods so to speak, he just builds the stock ST70 for the most part. Very nice work though. He'll use a stock driver board from either Curcio or Vintage Electron, and transformers from Triode Electronics. I wouldn't feel worried about this item if you're looking for a solid, stock ST70 sound.

It is an auction, so maybe he's hoping for a higher final than $699.

Geezz guy's this place is like a pile of mud. I'm only kidding it is a good deal on the amp for sure. The guy won't be in business long at those prices so don't plan on a long warrantee.

My only problem with the entire Idea is the amp is not an original Dynaco so why stay with a anemic circuit? Yea they sound okay but they could sound oh so much better IMHO (IMHO is just to try and keep the nasty comments that I'm sure will follow to a minimum) An amp like that is worth less then a stock Dynaco properly rebuilt on the resale market.

If you factor in the Iron and the chassis cost he has $350 in it right there unless Ned and Ron are giving him a deal which would surprise me. The rest of the parts would easily add up to another $150 or more. Boxing them up another $15. The guy is going to go broke quick.

But let me say it again at the price it is surely a steel! But don't expect to get nocked off your socks with dynamics or detail.

Craig

By the way, I agree with that, if you're going to have a Stock Dynaco rebuild, I'd just assume it look like a stock Dynaco. But to each his own!

I still need to drop some 12AU7's in the NOS Valves SuperDuper ST70 rebuild you did for me! It was 12AU7's you said to try right?

Yup 12AU7's give it a whirl and let me know what you think. Be ready to crank your VC up on your pre a good bit more. If you really like it with the 12AU7 you can send them back and I'll fine tune the circuit for them for free you pay shipping. This will help them sound even better.

Craig

Speedball:

"So is the switch close to that a bad thing"

A power switch and an IEC connector have the same blood type (type 'AC'), which is why they have been put close together. Some builders don't worry about installing power switches in the front of the chassis for the sake of conveniene. However, since the high impedance first voltage gain stages into (some) amplifiers are often also up near the front of the chassis, many builders really prefer to have any AC carrying wires, even if they are shielded or twisted for minimal hum, away from those high impedance sources. High impedance circuits, particularly where signal levels are low, tend to be less immune to noise problems associated with 60Hz AC hum, RFI, EMI, etc.

I once built a version of the AES (Audio Electronics Supply -- division of Cary Audio) AE-1 preamp (which I still use), and installed the switch at the back of the chassis in the exact same location as this amp from Audiogon. I had worked on two factory-built AE-1 preamps, and found both of them to be reasonably quiet, but still nevertheless noise-prone. The factory chassis had power supply and signal circuitry practically on top of one another, as well as AC power switch wiring very, very close to the first stage of the preamp. I will not say the preamp I made is a better preamp, but it is more quiet in terms of background noise than the two factory examples I had here. I also used a larger chassis for the same reason.

Where to install the power switch can be a matter of personal style and/or building practices. I have been taught to keep, if possible, any AC carrying components as far away from signal related parts as possible. Even my old RCA Tube Receiving manual discusses the importance of good wiring practice, including neatness and separation of power supply and signal wiring, in high fidelity circuits.

Erik

Here is another interpretation, using all new parts and refurbished power and OPTs, of the ST70. These are built by the same person who did the brief modifcations on the Baldwin I have. This person has professional metal working ability from automobile restoration/painting, and has been working with tube and television equipment since most of us were kids. His workmanship, including chassis painting (powder coated here) wiring -- all of it, is really among the best I have seen. He also installs the meters you see on the front panel of this amp. There is another Dyna 70 available for under $700 that doesn't have the meter.

Dee's awesome new MKIIIs were from the same builder.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1134664996

Erik

Its a mystery alright Dean.

Why dont manufacturers put labels on these things?

Come to that - why don't they include some indication of whether they are using new tubes or NOS ones?

Might even be able to do it on the same label if they were clever....