Did I miss something?

AnalOg

I've been away from the forum for about 9 months, upon my return I've noticed an increased popularity for LaScala's, and Cornwall craze has subsided some. I remember about a year ago it was close to a dirty word around here, what gives, or am I just imagining things.

Tom

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been away from the forum for about 9 months, upon my return I've noticed an increased popularity for LaScala's, and Cornwall craze has subsided some. I remember about a year ago it was close to a dirty word around here, what gives, or am I just imagining things.

Tom

Welcome back. Just to catch you up, yeah; the LaScala turns out to be the pick of the litter right now. A lot of interest was generated by the release of the LaScala II as the original old LaScala now appears in the discontinued section. Turns out that the new LaScala is identical to the old version (2005) except for the thicker build on the box walls - the drivers, lenses, crossover - all the same. The new ones weigh about 50 more pounds and have a more rigid construction but the elements are unchanged from the latest old version. Oh, and the new ones are expensive. I got the latest old ones (2005 with AL-4) in fear that just this would happen. Now everyone is looking for them and going crazy searching and dealing.

There seems to be a lot of discussion lately about the relative merits of direct radiator vs horn loaded bass (Cornwall vs LaScala). There was an excellent post lately that called for a rating of the Heritage line, but it got pulled when a fight ensued and some folks got a little personal in their off topic attacks.

Anyway, you are correct, the LS is hot right now. Now that I have mine I'm just enjoying them and enjoying sitting on the sidelines of all the great posts going on.

Pauln

I wouldnt mind having some Belles. When I first looked into Klipsch years ago it was the LS if I was gonna go big, but now I think I would look into a pair of Belles if I could swing it. Welcome back hopefully this place will always be here so we all have a place to go home to. It's one of them places I don't feel weird coming back to if i've been gone awhile.

Bill

Many very favorable comments appeared on the forum by those who went to Hope recently, where the new Heresy, Cornwall, and LaScala were demo'd. Many including me thought the new LaScala was a very fine-sounding speaker, not at all bright or PA.

You can read the comments in the "Cornwall III" thread(http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/605220/ShowPost.aspx).

Larry

I think there are several reasons for this.

First, used Cornwalls (as well as Chorus and Forte) have been selling for a bit more than they were over the past few years. People like us constantly talking them up as a "value" (and they are) had people opting for Cornwalls instead of RF (and why not, at half the price)....and with increasing demand goes increasing prices.

That mild increase in sales price puts a used buyer closer to the used LaScala. If one is considering Cornwalls in good condition, for a bit more one can get used LaScala.....a substantial upgrade for just a bit more $$$. In terms of "bang for the buck", I used to say that the Cornwall ruled that arena......but increasingly, the LaScala is becoming serious competition in that department. The LaScala is most of a Klipschorn for half the money (at least when used). There are LOTS of LaScala out there.....very obtainable on the used market.

And yes, the "cross pollination" of members listening to other members' systems increases awareness and perceived viability of the LaScala, hence the greater interest and popularity of using them in thier own systems. If you ever hear Craig's (NOSValves) system, you would be sold on the LaScala in a New York Minute.

Tom,

Everyone is beginning to realize that many that put the Lascala down repeatedly didn't have a clue what they were talking about. The harsh reputation that Lascalas had was from few people's experience in the 70's and 80's with gear that just did not do them justice. These people kept hammer home "they are this" or "they are that". People hear something enough and they start to repeat it, then it kind of spreads like a disease! Place em right, Power then right and source them right they become one incredible speaker. IMHO the bass they do make is superior to the Khorn it just doesn't reach as low. If you really need that kind of bass just carefully blend in a high quality quick sub woofer. Although I feel 95% of the music doesn't go that low anyway.

Craig

Aside from the Heritage updates (and the Belle Klipsch being dropped), you've also missed out on all the ego-inflating "this or that person is a great guy or girl" threads that have recently popped up. Too much butt-kissing if you ask me.[:P]

Although I feel 95% of the music doesn't go that low anyway.

Then you are arguing that 95% of music doesn't have any kick drums, low toms, pianos, organs, keyboards, timpany, acoustic bass, or electric bass guitars...

Dr Who -

I'm here to tell you that Craig's LaScalas ROASTED these theories that the LaScala cannot be adequate as a main pair of speakers. The kick drums and other associated lower bass material was DEEEEEP and TIIIIIIIGHT. I was quite impressed by how close they come to a pair of Klipschorns........while there is most certainly a benefit to the Klipschorn in the lowest registers, I think that the quality bass of the LaScala is too easily discounted and ignored. It's all in the room and the gear that is hooked up to them.

Define deep and tight in regards to SPL versus frequency and time impulse charts.

The reason I say that is because what one desribes as "tight" another

will describe as lacking in low frequency extension. There is also the

phenomenon where your brain will create the fundamentals even though

they don't exist.

You can only go so far in blaiming the room and the gear connected to

the speaker and I am 100% positive that is not the case in regards to

the lascala. I have heard them in too many situations on a lot of nice

gear and they always sound the same. However, different source material

(music styles) require different things from the speakers. If your

source material isn't very demanding in the low end, then you will

probably find the lascalas not very lacking...But you can't use this

experience to claim that the lascalas have sufficient low end. They

simply do not have the low end required for an all around speaker - nor

do the khorns or cornwalls, but they come a lot closer.

That said, the lascalas NEED a subwoofer in order to be tonally

balanced. But you can get by without a sub if you're using cornwalls for

mains. So the question really comes down to whether or not you want to use a subwoofer with the system.

In my own experience, I found what Who is saying to be true. I never

really happy with my two channel system until I got a sub to go with my

LaScalas. They they sounded full and fabulous. (Still Khorns sounded

better,.. which I suppose is because they load the room

differently... which was a real surprise to me), but the sub made

the LaScalas

sound as good as they can sound, which is pretty darn good.

I have to disagree - the LaScala bass is perfect! Those who think otherwise have a problem with their room, their amp, their source, or their ability to hear bass and hear distortion. Find an audiologist and get your hearing checked. Listen to live music and hear for yourself. See this thread about hearing bass and distortion - test yourself!

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/624148/ShowPost.aspx

I took the test using the "speakers" built in to my laptop and scored perfect down to -42dB. This qualifies me as a super golden ear. Being a musician helps. I know how live music really sounds and how bass really sounds.

No more of this bull about LaScalas and faint bass. My SETs drive my LaScalas with perfect bass. And remember, I'm a tested golden ear musician so there can be no argument.

Pauln