Older pioneer receiver, best pioneer of its day?

33klfan

I know my uncle has a pioneer receiver in storage. Probably about 20 years old or more. I'm going to have to look at it again. Do you guys have any idea what this might be as in sound wise. I remember it being pretty dang big and heavy. I remember some wood on it. I looked at it before i really got into audio, probably 4 years ago it's been when i first saw it. I didn't know if this might be vintage and a good vintage solid state receiver. I just want to hear ur guys say. I know i'm kind of brief. I'll look at it one of these days, but maybe u guys know what i'm talking about. I remember he always bought top of the line, so it was pioneer's best at the time. Thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you get a chance to hear it. It would probably need a good cleaning (compressed Air).

If it is Before 1980 it is a keeper. After 1980 the sound quality went down hill.........

Since your uncle had it in storage, it just might be a gem ! Condition wise.........

Post pictures if you can, along w/ the Model #........

So u probably wouldn't want to turn it on without replacing the caps, or wouldn't it matter. Would it hurt it to just turn it on. I would guess it hasn't been on for 20 years, but not sure. So do u guys think the sound would be an approvement for 2 channel or not.

The Big Pioneers of that day were/are awesome hulking beasts! The sound will be more "In your face" than your NAD Unit is. If you can get it- and have the ability to change the caps/clean it up

it would be well worth your while. Large Pioneers are selling in average condition for 150- 300 +.

Go for it!

I had a 1979 Pioneer SX-1250, and it was wonderful. I think this was

top of the line at that time. I substituted film caps for the

electrolytics at the the input to phono stage (this was my pre-CD

era). The phono stage is buried in a little metal box under the tuner, BTW. After about 12 years, it developed a power

supply problem and I put more money into it than was wise. I scrapped

it and got a 1992 model Pioneer that was pretty bad. I traded it for a

1975 Sansui Quad receiver, which I kept until I got a Scott 333B tube

tuner, Sumo Electra pre-amp and Polaris power amp. Now those units

power the Dahlquist DQ-10s in my study, and my 4 Corns are driven with

a Yamaha 2500 HT receiver.

What happens to the caps that they will need replaced? How hard is it to change the caps, that's capacitors right? I don't have any experience with doing this kind of thing unless it's not too hard. Other than "in your face" what else is the difference. Like are the highs mids and lows better?

Go get that old vintage pioneer hopfully its a SX-780, SX-980, or if you are one lucky dude its a SX-1280 or the big dady of them all a SX-1980 worth about 1000 bucks. Also might be the SX-750, SX-950, OR 1250, still nice pioneer receivers. Pioneer, sansui, harmon kardon, all made nice receivers back in the mid too late 70s well worth your trip too get it in fact I would run and get it.

Go get that old vintage pioneer hopfully its a SX-780, SX-980, or if you are one lucky dude its a SX-1280 or the big dady of them all a SX-1980 worth about 1000 bucks. Also might be the SX-750, SX-950, OR 1250, still nice pioneer receivers. Pioneer, sansui, harmon kardon, all made nice receivers back in the mid too late 70s well worth your trip too get it in fact I would run and get it.

I second the SX-1980. That's very collectible. So if nothing else, you can get $1000 to $1300 depending on cosmetic condition.

The last top of the line Pioneer receiver (from the "Silver Age") was the SX-3900 made in 1980-1981. It is big, heavy, very nice looking and well built. It was 120 WPC and had a digital and analog readouts for AM/FM. After that, everything turned to plastic and microprocessors...

A pic of the SX-3900 is attached as I still have one in a secondary system...

post-12477-13819274189794_thumb.jpg

I remember he also has a tape deck player to. U just put the tape right on the front and it plays. It doesn't close like ones do now a days. It's wild from what i saw. I am going to have to get to my pap's soon and check this stuff out. I'm still waiting for a response from my uncle, so i'll let u guys know as soon as i hear from him. So do u guys think i can try the receiver out without doing anything to it. Would it hurt it to do that?

If it was me and the pioneer was a Sx-780 or sx-980 I would clean all the controlls with Caig deoxit and fire it up, those receivers are worth anywere between 100 and 200 bucks, maby it will work and maybe not who knows. Now if the receiver is an SX-1280 OR SX-1980 I would send this too a good teck like ECHOWARS that hangs out at audiokarma.org he is the Craig of vintage solid state receivers. The sx-1280 and 1980 are worth too much money too take a chance on and from what I hear parts are hard too get or imposible to get so I wouldnt take a chance on it, without a teck looking at it. my 2 cent worth

33klfan wrote the following post at 10-30-2005 9:34 PM:

"What happens to the caps that they will need replaced? How hard is it to change the caps, that's capacitors right? I don't have any experience with doing this kind of thing unless it's not too hard. Other than "in your face" what else is the difference. Like are the highs mids and lows better?"

I was speaking of the input caps in the phono preamp. I think other posts on this thread are thinking of the power supply caps. The preamp caps are tiny 10 uF (relying on memory here) electrolytic caps that block DC and very low frequency AC at the inputs to the preamp. Anywho, if you are not comfortable with working on electronics, refer it to a service tech. The film cap replacements will be significantly larger than the electrolytics and a bit of finagling will be required to make them fit.

Yes, I noticed a difference right off. Considering that the input signal from the phono cart is measured in millivolts, I doubt that the dielectric in the tiny alminium electrolytic caps had enough voltage to form properly. I noticed cleaner bass and treble. I eventually replaced all the electrolytics in the tone control circuit also, but the improvement was not as marked.

I remember he also has a tape deck player to. U just put the tape right on the front and it plays. It doesn't close like ones do now a days. It's wild from what i saw. I am going to have to get to my pap's soon and check this stuff out. I'm still waiting for a response from my uncle, so i'll let u guys know as soon as i hear from him. So do u guys think i can try the receiver out without doing anything to it. Would it hurt it to do that?

I still use a Pioneer CTF-9191 tape deck that may be similiar to what you're describing. There is a door that closes but it's not necessary for playback. If I still knew how to use the search feature and still knew how to post pictures, I'd point you to an old thread that has a picture of it. I think it's called "MkIIIs Up And Running" and the picture of my rack is somewhere on page 2. If it looks like that, it's a nice unit. The problem is finding parts if something breaks.

I still haven't learned how to use the features since they changed the BB. I was just getting the hang of the old one!

It would hurt absolutely nothing to pull it out and fire it up. While capacitors may have deteroirated over time, the unit will still operate, and may operate quite well.

The key to getting the unit to operate in top form may just be limited to giving it a good cleaning. I've seen folks that have given older receivers or other gear up for dead, only to have someone else take it, give it a good cleaning, and the unit springs back to life. A cleaning might consist of opening the unit up, blowing out the insides with compressed air, blowing the dust and dirt our and away from the controls, and then giving the controls a healthy spray down with De-Oxit. If you have a scratchy volume control or tone controls, and intermitent channel, etc., it may be remedied simply by cleaning.

Post your results and findings!