Advent Specs

colterphoto1

No, no, no -- don't remove the fiberglass!! The foam from the smaller Advent won't provide enough displacement -- leave well enough alone.

I have one in need of a surround job. I thought I had two but I don't. I picked up a pair of the vinyl "utility" versions off of eBay on the cheap, and one of the woofers was a Radio Shack pos that someone stuck in after they blew a woofer. I didn't much care because I mostly after the tweeters and perfect corners of the cabinets. At any rate, I'll donate it, and another in need of a surround job can usually be picked up for about $30 off of eBay. I'll do the surrounds if you buy the kit.

the kits are pretty cheap and can be had easily, how bout I just send you one? It'd be cheaper than sending the woofers back and forth. How tricky can it be, you just scrape off the old foam and glue the new ones on.

But I have NO WOOFERS for the 4 large cabinets at all No frames, no nuthin. What should I buy at Parts Express to replace?

The Dayton Classic 12" might be a good drop-in:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-320&ctab=2#Tabs

It costs $30 per driver and has an F3 around 50Hz. Sensitivity comes in

closer to 90dB and it will push a clean 100dB. It requires an 11"

cutout so is a perfect drop-in.

I also noticed the K-22 would be a good match as well, but prob a bit too sensitive and expensive for what you're looking for.

It might be best just to tackle two at a time. Forget about the smaller Advents for now, and just get the Largers up and running. You've already got the tweeters. I've got one woofer, and you just need another. You can get those Largers up and running with very little money actually. Figure $25 for another woofer, $20 for the surround kit, and $10 in caps.

"How tricky can it be, you just scrape off the old foam and glue the new ones on."

LOL, Well Michael -- it takes me half a day to do a pair. The Dahlquist DQ-10 uses the same woofer, and even though I've probably done two dozen of them, it never gets any easier. The old adhesive is a ***** to get off, and the rest of the work has to be done from underneath the basket. You see, the freaking surrounds are inverted, that is -- the rolled up side faces down, and the outer edge of the surround actually adheres to the bottom outside edge of the basket. The fun part is doing it all while making sure the pole piece stays centered in the magnetic gap. Most use shims for this, which means cutting out the dust cap, and this ruins the woofer's original look (because the replacement dustcaps that come with the kits don't look and fit exactly the same. Some get majorily bummed out by this, so I came up with another way of doing it. At any rate trust me -- it's a pain in the arse. Any work I do on an Advent or DQ-10 is definitely a labor of love for me.

Is it just the outer surround that needs fixing? It shouldn't be too

hard to align the VC if that's the case. Though the underside thing has

me intrigued...I would always use a dinner plate to hold the surround

to the woofer while drying so how do you keep it attached? Temporary

tape or something?

Just found this out here: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcboard.php

T/S parameters for the Original Advent Woofer.

Measured voice coil DCR (Re) with a Fluke meter at 4.83 ohms.
Piston diameter measured (estimated) at 20 cm = 7.87"
Used Liberty Audio Suite (LAUD) added mass method, delta mass = 52 grams for -33% delta f.
Midband (80 Hz) test voltage was about .5 Vrms.
Woofer had been used (broken in if you believe in such things) with music before testing:

Fs = 18.23 Hz
Vas = 250 liters or 8.82 cu ft
Re = 4.83
Qe = .364
Qm = 2.93
Qts = .324
Mms = 42.28g
Cms = 1.80 mm/N
Bl = 8.02 Tm
no = .400 %
SPLref = 88 dB

If you have the original wood veneered cabinets with the beveled front a 12" woofer may not fit between the edges. If you look at the basket frame of an original it is not round (looks like an oversized 5 1/4 car speaker to me) My Dad and I had to make an adapter ring out of 3/16 aluminum and fit a 10" woofer in place. The utility cabinets will take a 12". My $.02, get the original tweets and woofers. Hope I've helped in some way.

HF

If you have the original wood veneered cabinets with the beveled front a 12" woofer may not fit between the edges. If you look at the basket frame of an original it is not round (looks like an oversized 5 1/4 car speaker to me) My Dad and I had to make an adapter ring out of 3/16 aluminum and fit a 10" woofer in place. The utility cabinets will take a 12". My $.02, get the original tweets and woofers. Hope I've helped in some way.

HF

This is exactly what Michael and I discovered. The "utility" vinyl clad cabinent (see photo attached above to the eighth post) will accomodate a full 12" woofer, but the walnut cabinets are too narrow across the face. It seems odd that Advent made them that way.

I don't know if this is feasible or would give you the info you want,

but when I had my Large Advents in the 1980s, I searched for and found

a Stereo Review article about them, which appeared in the 70s when the

speakers first were introduced. I couldn't say exactly when that

article appeared, but my guess is mid 70s. A large library, maybe

a university library, might have those old issues of SR. I found them

in the music annex of the main library. Maybe an online archive exists

as well.