Problem with Klipsch Corner Horn

cultrain88

A week ago my front right main blew its fuse. I went to replace it and it automatically blew another fuse. It also sounds like the tweeter is going to blow too. It generates alot of feedback when amp is powered(tweeter). When the speaker originally blew , it was quite loud. I'm still not sure why it blew, or what made it blow. The left main works quite fine. By the way, the speaker is a set of 1990's Klipsch Corner Horns, ak-3 crossovers, I believe. Powered by a BAT amp vk-200, with a Aragon Stage one. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. No pun intended. Also, the other fuse was not damaged.

Cultrain

I would think this would work to help narrow your problem down. Disconnect the wires from the speakers and see if the fuse blows again, if it does your problem is in the cross over if not its in the speaker itself.

Hopefully someone that knows more than me will chime in pretty soon. I know there are alot of guys out there with the schematics of the Khorn.

Steve

Steve,

I did not mean disconnect the wires going from the amp to the speaker. I guess I should have said disconnect the wires going to the "drivers". Sorry that was my error in words.

A fuse is looking for excessive amp draw down line. I thought that the fuse in the speaker were there in case there is a short in the crossover or driver. So my suggestion was to take the driver out of the circuit and see if the problem was in the cross over. But from what Dean posted it made me think that I was wrong. I would really like to see the schematic now so I could see how the circuit works.

Steve

sounds like a bad amp to me too...

you might try connecting the left channel amplifier output into your

right khorn - if it plays fine then you have isolated the problem up

stream.

(I wouldn't suggest hooking the right channel amp ouput into your left khorn though).

Then the next test is to run one of your speakers off the left channel

amp output, but reverse the leads between the aragon and the amp. If it

plays fine then you have isolated the problem to the right channel of

the amp (which is what Dean and I both think is the problem) [;)]

Cultrain,

Go slow on this.

First, please do not assume that the fuse is reliable and will always blow quickly enough to protect the speaker.

I think it is irresponsible for anyone to suggest keeping the K-Horn (esp with the drivers hooked up) in the circuit while you do your initial trouble shooting. Substitute a cheap speaker or a 10ohm 10watt power resistor ($1 at radio shack). Be systematic. Start at the amp and then work your way to up crossover (which is probably not the problem unless a wire/lead got loose). By no means leave the the K-Horn in the circuit for the initial testing!

Good luck,

-Tom

I don't know what a BAT amplifier is. Tube or SS? If it is solid state, I think I know what is wrong, and it is the very thing that prompted the introduction of fuses into the Klipshorn. A bad power transistor is feeding DC to the speaker.

The test would be to measure for DC across the output terminals of the amplifier while it is in idle.

And yes, DON'T hook up the speaker until the trouble is located. "Many a fuse has been protected by the failure of a voice coil!" That's a quote from PWK himself.

DRBILL

Hey Mike

I got the package, thx.

Can you explain to me why the amp would blow the speaker fuse....

Steve

here are some layman terms, think of it like this the speaker is not powered in any way untill it is connected to an amp and as it is not powered it would have no need for a fuse, the fuses in speakers are there for one reason to protect the speaker from stray voltage comming from your gear, this is more a convenience to save you lots of cash. if you amp or whatever goes astray and sends voltage down the line it blows the fuse instead of your speaker. been here a few times in the past and it has always been the amp!!!!!! Joe

Thanks to all for posting

I'm sorry I haven't replied to you until now. I know most would like to see how there troubleshooting abilities faired. To those who said it was the BAT amp....You are correct!![:)] My right channel has gone Kaboom! I'll fill you in on the story. As you know, my Klipsch K-horn blew a couple of fuses, from my earlier posting. I originally thought that , it was just a fluke. Well, its not. I called Balanced audio technology and asked for some advice on my problem. He told me that, inside my amp I have two fuses for each channel. It's a two channel amp....4 fuses. Anyways, I also have two lights for each channel(these lights are inside the amp). Not sure what there for. Well, one light was out. I pulled off the cover and well, guess what! Fuse is blown. So good one for the Bat amp customer care associate. So I mosey on down to Radio Shack and buy myself a fast blow 10amp fuse. Get home, put in the fuse. Plug the amp in , hit the power button and..........................Kaboom!! Well , we have a meltdown Houston. Not sure what went wrong , but I have smoke and a small fire. Of course smoke and fire don't mix with electronics. Called the guys back at BAT, and he agreed. I should not have smoke and fire coming from my amp. So I have to ship my amp to Delaware. I appreciate all the help guys. Last but not least..DR Bill is exactly correct with his prognoses....A bad power transistor is feeding DC to the speaker. Not anymore though, it burnt up.HeHe

Thank for all
Cultrain