Which integrated tube amp? Please help me, I don't know anything about tube amp's.

vman71

I recently bought a Krell integrated amp to use with my Klipsch KLF-20's and Chorus II's ( I got a deal I couldn't pass up but I think I will sell it as soon and I get an integrated tube amp). The Krell sounds good but it is just too much power. I would like to get an integrated tube amp. I've read a little and have two in mind: EICO HF-81 and the Scott 299B. If there are others, by all means, mention those too.

Please help me, all comments and personal experiences are welcome/needed.

Thanks,

Mike

The list could go on and on. There are many that sound great from Fisher, Heathkit, Stromberg Carlson, Pilot, EICO and many other Scott models. But your two choices are good also. With the HF81 be very careful picking one to buy these were kits for the most part, so allot of how they work depends on how good the original builder wired them.

How are you on the cosmetic needs? I have a few nice amps here that I could rebuild for you some nicer then others. Feel free to give me a call 810-287-6135.

Craig

Mike,

As others have noted, Craig is a good person to get an integrated from.

A great start as you will get one working up to specs and safe(no fires)!

I've been enjoying the Fisher integrateds lately. I have an

X-100(A). Good quality EL84 tubes are cheap and easy to get-a

consideration when getting older gear.

Well, let us know what you end up with and enjoy!

Paul[;)]

Hello Mike,

Since you seem to like the sound of the Krell, why is it that you are changing?.

The Krell is a very good amplifier. Going to tubes will give a very different sound (a sound that some prefer).

I would suggest visiting a local stereo store that has used/consignment equipment and demo'ing some tube equipment on your speakers first.

Good Luck,

-Tom