Yamaha htr5890??????/ Is it a good receiver?

firedawg24

From the Yamaha website..

" What Is The Difference Between The RX-V Line And The HTR Line?

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods, the same manufacturer's suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units.

There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality front panel construction.

The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.

The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales, phone sales, or internet sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail, by phone, or at authorized internet retailers.

All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty. "

By the quote above, the same units are the same price so........the price is the same between the htr5890 and the RX-V1500 and one must ASSUME that they are indeed the same units. MSRP $849.95

My unit is the RX-V 750 (which was replaced by the RX-V757, basically the same unit but XM ready) and I am totally happy with it. The Yapo does a good job of setting things up right, from the very start. I have Forte mains and Heresys for center and rear speakers in a room that is about 12' w x 22' long x 8' high. Carpets, drapes and acoustic ceiling. Reference level volume is about -18db (depending on movie) and with the mains set to full range and a 12" sub, you have no trouble with realism and room shaking!

EDIT: for the record, the 5890 is rated at 140w x 7 and the 1500 is rated at 120w x 7, my unit is rated at 100w x 7. The difference in raitings is due to the way they were measured. The 1khz raiting is done so that Joe and Mary Doe shopping at BB, are more impressed by how much more power it has[:P] The full range raiting is closer to the real world.

I say go for the RXV. I got my RX-V1500 for $700 on sale at a local soundshop. Worth every penny. It was an upgrade from my old RX-V690. There's something hokey about rating amplifier output at 1000hz only. I don't know exactly how different the numbers would be if they were both rated the same.

I have a Yammie HTR-something and I like it better than the Denon I used to have. The Denon cost alot more, too, but it sucked in comparison.

The Yamaha has been "cleaner" sounding since day one. It also seems to have a great FM radio receiver in it, which is aN EXTRA bonus.

DM

Thank you all for the replys, I think I will go ahead and do it. As you

can see in my sig that I have an old dsp1000 yammie, circa 1994, and it

has been very faithful but it is now time to upgrade. I could care less

about cosmetics as long as it looks OK the price will be the driving

factor. I have seen these units on ebay for around $500, is this a

mistake to go that route?

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you all for the replys, I think I will go ahead and do it. As you can see in my sig that I have an old dsp1000 yammie, circa 1994, and it has been very faithful but it is now time to upgrade. I could care less about cosmetics as long as it looks OK the price will be the driving factor. I have seen these units on ebay for around $500, is this a mistake to go that route?

Thanks,

Dave

www.pricegrabber.com

Authorized dealers and low prices.

www.resellerratings.com will tell you all the feedback of almost any online dealer.

Why a receiver when you can get a better dedicated amp for the same price?

For HT with processor?

??????? [8-)]

I am not sure where you are confused.

What kind of dedicated amp can you buy cheaper than a receiver and hook it up to have at least 5.1 (or heck even Dolby 3) sound, with a tuner, and with switching capabilities for your DVD, CD, VCR at a minimum?

If you have a nice preamp / processer then buying a receiver would be stupid.

Receivers are making big jumps in performance lately. I used to have a Rotel setup (preamp/processor, tuner, 3 channel amp, 2 channel amp) and the sound I am hearing out of "all-in-one-boxes" is impressive. The big plus is the low impact to the visual equipment in your listening room. Along with lights, power requirements, etc.

Å