Cornwall 511B "voice of the Corn"[:)]

travisc

Really want to try a larger midrange out with my Corns.

just when I get the idea in my head forum goes down.

I got alot of archive reading to do. But I have seen what IBslammin has done and would like to give it a whirl.

my Corns are rare and mint so no hole drilling, thinking 511b and a tweeter mounted on top as well as the crossover.

1'st question using the 511b instead of the 600 do I just move the squawker down one tap?

please bear with me

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you the guy who just bought the pair of 511's on ebay? I've been thinking about doing the same thing. There's another pair up right now. What drivers are you going to use? WIll the K55's fit and work correctly?

I'm certain it's been done here before, just do a little searching and you should find em. Maybe BEC or DrWho can help with the xover point etc.

Post pix please, let us know how it works out.

Michael

Guys,

This is a bit premature, but I am working on a 600 Hz version of the Trachorn. It will have the same mounting scheme and hole size as the K500 horn from the Belle Klipsch but is actually intended for the Cornwall. It will have a air-tight sealed front flange for use in sealed boxes or bass-reflex speakers like the Cornwall. It's a few months away yet though.

Al K.

Colter,

no havent gotten them yet, Was over Charle's place this weekend and really got to thinking about it. The forum was down so I couldnt get any input.

I am hoping to get some input from IB or someone who has done it.

I have no idea what driver combo to use with it or if the k-55 driver adaptors are available anywhere

also I dont know much about all the different Altec horns and whether Duke would have some input on different horns.

Guys,

This is a bit premature, but I am working on a 600 Hz version of the Trachorn. It will have the same mounting scheme and hole size as the K500 horn from the Belle Klipsch but is actually intended for the Cornwall. It will have a air-tight sealed front flange for use in sealed boxes or bass-reflex speakers like the Cornwall. It's a few months away yet though.

Al K.

will you be designing something for the la scala in the future? i understand the horn you sell now would work, but i'd have to destroy the entire top end of the cabinet to fit it in there. as you know, it's not exactly a piece you can just screw on and off like a k-horn or belle.

perhaps have the horn come out a bit with a gasket so it fits in the original hole and supply grills to accomodate the protruding horn?

just some ideas...

Guys,

All true.. The Trachorn 400 needs to have the hole enlarged to be used in the LaScala. A Tractrix horn that would fit into the mouth area of the K400 would not go low enough. That's why I had to enlarge the mouth an provide new grill frames. The new 600 Hz horn is actually designed to replace the K500 (Belle horns) in my personal home-brew "Heresy on Steroids" den speakers. I used the old Belle squawker honrs in them and now regret it! I simply realized that they would work fine in the Cornwall and am going to see if anybody is interested in them for that use. Again, the mouth has to be larger on the 600 Hz version than the K600 horn just as it was with the 400 Hz version. As usual, there's no free lunch! I really don't know about the vertical mounting. I don't think it would be right. The Cornwall horn works better vertical but the Trachorn is intended to be oriented horizontally. They are different kinds of horns.

Here' the preliminary drawing of it.

BTW: The Selenium adaptor I put on the Trachorn for the K55 will adapt the K55 to the Altec horn but it will require holes be drilled as the holes won't line up.

Al K.

post-2934-13819276224736_thumb.gif

Colter,

no havent gotten them yet, Was over Charle's place this weekend and really got to thinking about it. The forum was down so I couldnt get any input.

I am hoping to get some input from IB or someone who has done it.

I have no idea what driver combo to use with it or if the k-55 driver adaptors are available anywhere

also I dont know much about all the different Altec horns and whether Duke would have some input on different horns.

IB Input'in,

A temporary installation is cake. That way the CW can be made stock again.

Pull the back. Pull the Xover and tweeter. Cover the tweeter hole with a small piece of 3/4" plywood. Screw over the hole from the inside. Make sure screws do not go all the way threw the motorboard. Remove the K-55 and plug the horn. Should be able to find a threaded plug.? Bec will cringe, but rope caulk should work. Wire the woofer lead to the inside part of the terminal strip. Replace back.

You will need to drill the 511b to accept the K-55 adaptor. BE SURE to remove all metal shavings. Bolt on adaptors, screw on drivers. Screw a small strip of wood to the top-inside of the horn flange. Screw the K77 to the wood. Place the horn and driver atop the CW. Stack books or somthing below the driver and adjust the height to ear level at sweet-spot. Place Xover on the top next to the horn. There is room. Run speaker wire to Xover input. Connect K77. Run wire from the terminal strip to woofer-out on the Xover.

No need to change filters at this time.

Once you have decided that you can't live without the 511b, and you will, then play with the crossover points. 600,500,or 400hz.

Have fun.[:D] Now UB Slammin[ip]

Terry

You can use this adapter to mount a K-55 to the 511b.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-322

But drill the adapter instead of drilling the horn. That leaves the 511b unmolested in case you (like me) decide that it is not all that good and want to sell it. I liked a K-401 better.

Bob Crites