Would you paint your speakers if you could?

HTADDICT

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some

Decorator Cornwalls that I did in a close to piano black finish. These

were unfinished birch that had been stained and were pretty beat up.

Given the patching etc that needed to be done this was really the only

way to go. These were done in lacquer and required lots of filling,

sanding and coats. I tried to explore the idea of going to an auto body

place to have them sprayed and clear coated but never got to far with

that idea Josh

colter sez 'paint those

cones'

nice ,when a restoration is done, the ginger bread has to

be refreshed too,or it just dosen't look right,car or speaker, fresh

paint, bad crome, or cone, dosen't work,

If I found a pair of beater lascalas, I would fix them up with filler, and paint them. Probably 3-4 coats of Color-it primer, tinted black, and then 2 full wet coats of UNO-HD polyurethane sc403 black. Clean the Sata NR2000, then head for coffee.

Someone else showed off their black painted lascalas and mentioned that they put 2 gallons of primer surfacer ( before catalyzation and reduction ! ) on a pair of lascalas. With an HVLP primer gun, that is enough primer surfacer to cover about 500 square feet or more.

As long as they were block sanded well, I'd put maybe 1- 1.5 quarts on tops, sanding most of that off. Too thick a film is no good at all. As far as refinish paint, I am sure that I could get 'er done with one quart before reduction. ( 1.5 quarts sprayable )

2 gallons of primer? sheeesh, just asking for trouble. More is NOT better, products come with instructions if you ask for them, read the instructions and follow them, they are there for a reason, that's like the guy who brags about his car haveing 6 coats of clear, my response is "Why? couldn't you get it right on the first 2 coats?" If anyone has questions about refinishing them automotive style, let me know I'd be glad to help, and dispell some myth's for those who have not painted like this before. There's allready enough interest in this for me to do a project.

Also If I had a pair of klipschorn's or lascala's or heresy's, that were in good shape, I think It would be a tougher decision to paint them. Unless they were beat up, or I had an extra set to spare.

If I found a pair of beater lascalas, I would fix them up with filler, and paint them. Probably 3-4 coats of Color-it primer, tinted black, and then 2 full wet coats of UNO-HD polyurethane sc403 black. Clean the Sata NR2000, then head for coffee.

Someone else showed off their black painted lascalas and mentioned that they put 2 gallons of primer surfacer ( before catalyzation and reduction ! ) on a pair of lascalas. With an HVLP primer gun, that is enough primer surfacer to cover about 500 square feet or more.

As long as they were block sanded well, I'd put maybe 1- 1.5 quarts on tops, sanding most of that off. Too thick a film is no good at all. As far as refinish paint, I am sure that I could get 'er done with one quart before reduction. ( 1.5 quarts sprayable )

I think you need at least 150-800 coats of color it primer and 1200- 1400 coats of polyurethane sc403 black to be safe. That would be like 850 to 1070 gallons of each

Did I mention I work for a conglomerate that sells those kind of paints.

Sand between coats as not to increase the size of the exterior dimensions.

Duke: why that would be a Porche color. [:)] I HATE red, but that is my preference. I would sooner have a very clean orange or yellow instead.

I repainted our '91 honda with the original R-63 red, put 1 quart of RM Diamont basecoat on it after sealing with Ep 589 grey epoxy, then 1.5 quarts of DC 92 clear. It had the original paint still on the car before, and was in very good shape, sanded thoroughly with p400, sealed and then painted.

Like it has been said, more is NOT better when it comes to refinish paint. If the paint is over 8 mils thick, it will have a short life, same as if it is too thin. To put this in perspective, one mil is approximately one thousandth of an inch. A finish should have between 5-7 mils for optimum life. That is just 5-7 thousandths of an inch from the substrate through to the topcoat.

Michael hurd:

You might have to argue with GM on paint thickness as on the early Corvettes some of the primers were 1/8" think to fill in wavy panels. Not so anymore but if you remove all the paint from an old Vette you will have to fill in those wavy things with something. The stuff they used was a special formulation.

JJK

Just 'cause the factory did it, doesn't mean it is right. When I was in a Ford dealership, we stripped and repainted 5 black pickups. They went through the paint line 3 times each, the film thickness exceeded 14 mils in some places like the roof and hood!

These trucks were only 2 years old at the time and the paint was finished, crows foot cracking and checking everywhere. Went through about 25 gallons of very nasty Deanco chemical stripper, and many many boxes of p80 and p180 grit hookits.

We also had a red Super-duty crew cab in for peeling around all four lower window belt moldings, when the paint was feathered, it was revealed that it too had 3 layers of basecoat / clear coat, on top of both primers. Yuck!

In regards to filling in all the wavy spots on an old vette, you can use a light skim coat of filler to level all the panels. In this case, the filler becomes the substrate, and you still end up with 5-7 mils of refinish paint on top of the substrate, like I mentioned before.

I did a ghost flame job on a suburban last year / house of colors blue ice. Prizmatique pearls over blue. Sweet ride, lowerd, bagged, killer system in it. I did it on the side and for my pay the owner set me up with a system in my car / pheonix gold amp / 15" audiobon sub / couple of other amps / 10disc changer and install with high end wiring (he was a local stereoshop owner) I don't do sideline work for money - takes the fun out of it, one hand washes the other you know! Too nice of a system for my car - considering I have four kids and I pretty much only listen to news and talk radio, but it's fun anyway.

Now if only he was a Klipsch dealer!