Awesome SPL Video Team Toxic

thxsubwoofers

Wow! wangin' subwoofers! But poor ol' Pete look's like a total dork.......

I rode in the back of a Durango with six Tempest 15" subs on a wall, with some sort of Mmatts amp. 150 decibels on a Termlab meter.

Talk about obnoxious. Impressive SPL, not to mention watching the Durango go into convulsions. But completely worthless for sound quality.

My ears were fried for a few days........

[:D]

Wonder what it's like in the mouth of CECAA850's IB manifold... as he uses four (4) Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's.

It is technically the same driver as the vid except 18" diameter rather than the 15's shown. [8-|]

ROb

That is obscene. What kind of extension does he get, and how loud? Is it high quality?

I cant find the T/S parameters for the

Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18'. It isnt in the T/S database as far

as I saw, and I cant seem to find them elsewhere. Anyone know

where I can find them?

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/archive/Avalanche%2018.htm

The specs are still on the old site they had. Since Chad and everyone

else at Ascendant are so busy with their new sub and mid drivers, I

don't think much time gets devoted to the web page.

To get to the old site which has all the old products click on "old

site... click here" button. Here is a direct link to the 18in Ava

however to save you some time. As far as quality, yes Ascendant Audio

makes VERY high quality products. I personally have an atlas 15 and its

very nice. I can't recall exactly but I believe those 4 18's in IB

would get usable spl down to 10-12hz. Thats insane. scp53

Thanks for the help! I only asked because my dad wants me to build him a big sub. I think he will do a double take when he sees this one, but I may be able to talk him into it. I just need the TS parameters to medel it and give him some extra info about size extension SPL etc...

I'll second the excellent quality and usuable extension down to the

teens is pretty standard for an IB. Unfortunately Ascendant is in

the middle of a product makeover and the Avalanche 18", as well as the

three other subwoofers they offered, are sold out.

Good news is there are plenty of other good 15" drivers available... Bad news is no reasonable 18" at the moment.

ROb

PS: you want a "big sub"... go for an Infinite Baffle: http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/index.cgi

[:D]

Wonder what it's like in the mouth of CECAA850's IB manifold... as he uses four (4) Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's.

It is technically the same driver as the vid except 18" diameter rather than the 15's shown. [8-|]

ROb

That is obscene. What kind of extension does he get, and how loud? Is it high quality?

http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/cecaa850/

As far as extension, I have no idea, but for grins, I'll put a 10Hz test tone on at -10 and any closed door in the house (2900 sq. ft. brick on concrete) looks like someone's trying to shake it off the hinges. I'm sure I have usefull output below that but I haven't measured it. How loud? They have no problem keeping up with my RF7's at any volume which is all I care about. The SQ is better than the 2 SVS's that it replaced. Sorry I'm not a numbers guy, I don't pull out the meter unless I'm calibratng or EQ'ing. I am however very happy with it and for the first time in my HT's existance, I have no desire to upgrade my sub.

'It was loud, extremely loud' the spokesmodel states after having her hair blown about by that ridiculous display of volume.

First, it is idiotic to subject a human being to that kind of spl in a closed vehicle with no hearing protection at all (witness that she merely plugs her ears with fingers)

Second, 'testing' a system with a single tone gives the viewer no impression at all of the speakers musicality, that is, it's ability to reproduce music as it was produced. Wonder what the frequency response curve looks like. In the words of my esteemed colleague DrWho- 'probably a one-note wonder'.

Third. Such a system in a moving auto is probably breaking several local ordinances, lowering property values, and subjecting the passengers of that vehicle, neighboring vehicles, and emergency vehicles to an enormous risk of bodily injury and property damage should sirens not be heard.

I'm not at all impressed. In fact disgusted that this practice is popular these days. Maybe I'm just an old fart.

Michael

'It was loud, extremely loud' the spokesmodel states after having her hair blown about by that ridiculous display of volume.

First, it is idiotic to subject a human being to that kind of spl in a closed vehicle with no hearing protection at all (witness that she merely plugs her ears with fingers)

The girl must be deff by now haha!

For SPL, to bad they never test out Digital Designs.[:)] http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=9900c I heard they won the world record of 176.5-178 dB! With 6 9915[15"] subwoofers.

Third. Such a system in a moving auto is probably breaking several local ordinances, lowering property values, and subjecting the passengers of that vehicle, neighboring vehicles, and emergency vehicles to an enormous risk of bodily injury and property damage should sirens not be heard.

==========================================

Yes, but somehow "dorky guys" feel a need to put 10k worth of audio in a 20k car so they will get chicks?? Go figure... They pay dancers to show up at shows to "LOOK HOT" and seem interested (hint they are not..) leaning up against cars... And most car shows that employ them get more attention with beer and wet t shirt contests than any cars or products sold. LOL.

Bottom line... 99% the guys that drive them.. would not be on any hot models list for 5 seconds...

Now that I said that rant... don't we all want 20k worth of audio in our homes.. So we can impress chicks too? Woops!!

feel a need to put 10k worth of audio in a

20k car so they will get chicks?? Go figure...

It's more of a personal satisfaction I suppose... as I'm sure

they noticed 10k of audio doesn't attract women long before they reach

that amount.

I often joke about it, as I'm into classic cars, and so many people

make comments on how old cars are "chick magnets" when in reality the

only

people they attract are other car guys. Only useful if your

female or gay... I'm neither... [:P]

ROb

PS: I'd worry if your wife gets a 10k audio system or a classic car though... [;)]

These stupid loud one note playing SPL monsters have no sound quality to speak of,designed to play one note at sickening SPL.Anything over 125dB is plain dumb,as no human will stand up to this high SPL for long,or lose hearing like a brain dead bum.

Efortless,loud when need to be if A ok,but a one note playing giant sub ina very small space is...pointless BS.

Sure they will reach over 190dB one day,and..so..what.Why not just stick a nuke in there and detonate,SPL will be way way higher...and the point will be? Some very bian dead people love to roll down the street and blast thier subs,shaking the crappy housing along the street,yeepee.

Second, 'testing' a system with a single tone gives the viewer no impression at all of the speakers musicality, that is, it's ability to reproduce music as it was produced. Wonder what the frequency response curve looks like. In the words of my esteemed colleague DrWho- 'probably a one-note wonder'.

I'm not at all impressed. In fact disgusted that this practice is popular these days. Maybe I'm just an old fart.

Michael

I agree with this 100%..... however it was pretty funny watching her hair fly around :)