Heritage crossover history

colterphoto1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob,

The inductor on tap 2 of the B3 simply converts the squawker highpass filter into a 2nd order. That makes it a 12 dB/octave filter at 600 Hz (or so). It shouldn't have any effect on the highs going to the squawker. My guess is it just adds 45 degrees of extra phase shift to help glitch problems at the crossover reigon.

Al K.

Bob,

The inductor on tap 2 of the B3 simply converts the squawker highpass filter into a 2nd order. That makes it a 12 dB/octave filter at 600 Hz (or so). It shouldn't have any effect on the highs going to the squawker. My guess is it just adds 45 degrees of extra phase shift to help glitch problems at the crossover reigon.

Al K.

YES< YES< YES, this is what I'm looking for!

So we now know that the B3 highpass for the mid is 12 db/octave. Only a few more slopes to go until we have it all mapped out guys.

Al, would this mean that the proper design would also have a 12 db slope on the lo pass of the woofer in the B3 also?

Michael

Michael,

The B3 woofer filter IS a 12 dB / octave filter. I'm not sure I know what you mean by a "proper design". When I use that term I am referring to a true diplexer of complementary singly-terminated filters. That is, a constant impedance diplexer. To do that both the woofer filter and squawker filter would need to be at the same impedance level. None of the Klipsch networks are done that way. The squawker filter is at a very high impedance becasue of the transformer. This is nice with respect to a 1st order highpass because the single cap is a small value. The inductors become huge though. That is why it's taped down on #2!

Al K.

That's beautiful Bob!

Now back to the crossover business. Bob, when you sell replacement caps, are they checked for ESR? Matched pairs? Does any of that really matter? Can you shoot prices on what I'd need for various B models? As I take em apart, I'll check inventory of how many of what I have .

I do know that there's 4x AL here in the LSI's , and there's no way I can afford to do the AA/A's like I did on my nice BR pair. Could you do likewise for a cap replacement kit for them?

Thanks,

Michael

LOL:)

Michael, are you even using those LaScalas right now? Why not focus on what you really want to use as part of your system and just work on that? I know you really like the Cornwall so why not pick out the five nicest ones you have and put your energy into those? Save the LaScalas for last -- those should have some nice AL-3's loaded into them and you'll need new autoformers to do that -- so they will cost the most to build up. Take an inventory of your Cornwalls and write down what each is loaded up with -- and then go from there. Post your inventory into this thread and we'll help you sort it all out.

Mike, the K-51-V is pretty rare. It's the ceramic magnet version of the dual port phase plug K-55-V -- which is pretty rare in its own right.