Subwoofer short-list, which ONE???

Bob_Collins

OK, here is my current shortlist of subwoofers that I am considering purchasing.

Paradigm Servo 15 v.2

Revel B15a

Velodyne DD-15

Which one of the above would be the best choice in terms of quality, low extension (must dig lower than 20 Hz. and be audible). The main speakers and surrounds are Klipsch RF-7s, RC-7 is the center channel, and Klipsch Fortes are the rear surrounds in a 7 channel config.

I will be listening to both music and home theater, but mostly movies in home theater mode. I want QUALITY, DEEP, LOW bass, not looking for maximum output, hence my short list above. If additional output were needed, I would be looking at adding a second matching sub, but at least initially there will only be one. One sub to rule them all is what I am after. ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Bob

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I don't think the sub-12 would dig near as deep as I want, especially since the RF-7's are very capable of digging fairly deep on their own.

I know that TheEar has (or had) a Servo 15, a Velodyne HGS-18, and the Revel B-15, and previously has stated that the Revel is his favorite sub overall, so I'd like to get him to chime in with his recommendation on my short list in the original message that kicked off the thread (not the old antiquated versions he has (just kidding!) ;-) I'd also like to ask TheEar to respond as to why the Revel is his overall favorite, is it for its ability to dig deep, its musicality or accuracy, or the ability to match it with virtually any speaker combo due to the EQ it has?

Ear, again I was only teasing about you having older models. I have great respect for your opinion on this subject, and hope my comment above was taken in the joking manner in which it was meant.

Bob

Newbs,pretenders and would be ME's move over,stop posting opinions about subs you never had at home,let a pro do the talking. [:P] ...[:#] ...joking. [:D]

Lets disect these three subwoofers first.

Paradigm Servo 15 Ver.2 Massive built sub using Paradigm's 1250W RMS amp powering a overbuilt 15 woofer capable over 2" of piston travel.Servo control,very low distortion among the best in any price range,very potent down to 20Hz.For the price this si the best buy of the three,you get the most SPL and quality for your dollar.A great compromise HT and music sub

Revel B15 Well built sub using Revel's 1000W RMS amp and has a very welcome parametric EQ to make a perfect match with justa bout any speakers.The woofer has an even longer travel than the Paradigm sub above! Higher SPL(I am talking 3-4SPL extra down low)but this sub uses no servo control and will not be as musical as the Servo above.Betst HT sub of the bunch,hellacious 31.5Hz output and great 20Hz output.Below 20 it drops like a stone.

Velodyne DD15 The high tech king of the hill,using a 1250W RMS amp powering a tandem push pull voice coil 15" woofer,has about 1.25 to 1.5" of linear travel.On top of having a push pull motor system and being servo controlled it uses an advanced AUTO EQ and has a composite out to see the results on screen! With this one you find the right spot,adjust the phase let the auto setup do its thing and voila.Most musical and cleanest sub of the three.Least output(plenty for most rooms),will go deep below 25Hz its not a powerhouse.Musical champ,a refined tool.

So here you have it,I could write much more on any of these but I hope this quick ocerview will help. [:D]

Nope, size is not an issue. I just want to stick to subs that I can walk into a dealer, look at, hear, take home, and be able to return without the hassle of having to deal with a shipper. Also, I tend to prefer the idea of a sealed subwoofer rather than ported or with a passive radiator.

Ear, elsewhere you mentioned that the Revel B15 was your personal favorite subwoofer, can you tell me why? Also, which of the 3 on my short list do you think will dig deepest (play the lowest notes (below 20 Hz.), audibly)?

Bob

A question for you Ear...

A few months ago I helped my sister pick speakers for her own home theater. After testing several brands in several places everywhere (BB, CC, Frys, GoodGuys) she settled on the reference bookshelf speakers and the RW10 sub.

Now, that trip made me realize how slow/muddy my "take 5" energy 12" sub is compared to the klipsch subs. I've updated my speakers to klipsch RF15/RC25s in front, but I'm now planning my sub upgrade.

So my question is -- can you compare and recommend one of the RSW-12, HSU VTF-3, or similar SVS or outlaw LFM-1? I get the feeling from reading your previous descriptions that the HSU is a great sub under 1k... same as SVS. But how do these compare with the RSW-12 in total? Is the RSW-12 that much better?

Many thanks!

Back home...[:D]

Ok,a sub like the VTF3 and an SVS Plus series will have more deep bass(below 25Hz)output,the RSW12 has better punch and will be ideal as a music sub.As the HSU and SVS will have a slight advantage in HT.

Ill take the water heaters by far,any 16-46+ /20-39+ or ultra would kill the rsw12 with ease,hsu is a music sub,vtf3 ,rsw is a music sub, svs is music and ht sub and tighter than all you mentioned.