Cornwalls

rowooo

I saw the NE pair in ebay; I assume that's the pair....

I don't know, man, the way the seller describes the speakers, I'd give them a good test before committing to the purchase. Otherwise, good luck!

I need to find a dude in Nebraska with a newish pair of LaScalas itchin' to find a new home.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Thanks guys....I thought the 5 might be an S, couldn't really tell. I won't be able to buy them, but I'm going to go down and check them out. I will let anyone interested in them know how they look and if the two match. Prana, there in Fremont, so if you have any questions on them I'm going to check them out tomorrow morning. Also, 1978...A GOOD YEAR? Thanks guys

Guys........just got back from looking at the Corwalls that I can't afford right now. There in very good shape, a coulple nicks and scratches but nothing big. The grill are also in good shape. Overall there in very nice shape. The numbers also match. I took the grills off and the woofers look great. Bad timing for me. Hopefully I'll get lucky again when the timing is right. GOOD LUCK....

The guy that has them deals mostly with antiques, dolls and etc. so he had nothing to hook them up to. He told me some guy just came in and wanted to get rid of them, said that had been pasted down through the family. I'm sure the guy pretty much gave them away, not really knowing what he had. later...

I'm a bit confused about what model/year Cornwalls I have. I purchased my Cornwalls on 7/3/81. They are both C-BB. I still have the original Owner Information Packets and I never did send in the registration cards. On the far right of the registration card ticket is the letter "E".

Serial numbers are:

22T433

22T439

Does this mean mine aren't a matched pair? Are these Cornwall I's? Oddly enough there's an informational sheet on my owners package that says "Instructions for Cornwall II".

How is this even possible? These were purchased new in 1981! According to what I'm reading on the Klipsch site, they didn't even start making Cornwall II's until 1985. What gives?

It's quite possible that I somehow lost my original information and sent for new info and Klipsch sent me Cornwall II info packets. After all, it's been 20 odd years since I picked these up and memory of what transpired after purchasing them is somewhat hazy.

------------------

Bob Lindabury

Bob,

First off...welcome to the Forum. I believe your Cornwalls were made in 1979. From 1962 to 1983, Klipsch used a letter in the 3rd character of their SN to indicate year. 1962 had the letter "A", 1963 had the letter "B", and so on all the way to 1983 which had the letter "Y" (letters "O", "Q" and "V" were excluded). As for them being consecutive, I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like they were made in the same day (433/439)...

Mike

Edit: By the way, C-BB means Cornwall-Black Birch. And they are definitely Cornwall I's. For more info on your speakers. Click on Products and then select Classic. Scroll down to the Cornwall I's and II's and check out the specifications which are located on the left hand side of the page. Hope this helps...

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Acurus A200X3

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Chorus (mains - Acurus Amp)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center - Acurus Amp)

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (rears)

Klipsch RS-3's (rear surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series & AR for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Cherry or Mahogany Heresy's

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 10-16-2001 at 12:20 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Lindsey:

Bob,

First off...welcome to the Forum. I believe your Cornwalls were made in 1979. From 1962 to 1983, Klipsch used a letter in the 3rd character of their SN to indicate year. 1962 had the letter "A", 1963 had the letter "B", and so on all the way to 1983 which had the letter "Y" (letters "O", "Q" and "V" were excluded). As for them being consecutive, I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like they were made in the same day (433/439)...

Mike

Edit: By the way, C-BB means Cornwall-Black Birch. And they are definitely Cornwall I's. For more info on your speakers. Click on Products and then select Classic. Scroll down to the Cornwall I's and II's and check out the specifications which are located on the left hand side of the page. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the welcome! Actually, I was on here before with the OLD version of the forums. This seems a bit better. <grin>

Thanks for the info also! So, I'm the proud (original) owner of a pair of vintage Klipsch Cornwall I speakers that have been serving me well since 1981! There were times when I considered selling them but I never had the guts to do so. I'm glad I didn't!

Good to see other Cornwall owners here! Finally, some people that know Klipsch and what that name means to loudspeakers. Hopefully I'll be able to frequent this forum and see what you all are up to from time to time.

BTW, can some of you take a look at what I have in my signature and suggest a rear center speaker? I'm considering the RC-3 II'w I think they are. Would this be good? I can't see me mounting another KLF-C7 on the rear wall..hell, the RC3-II would be big and heavy enought to mount!

Is what I have a reasonably matched batch? It's odd that there's nothing listed to match Cornwall I's on this site when you go to the Classic section. Klipsch should provide a list of some of their new "smaller" speakers that would do a reasonable job matching the Cornwalls for Home Theater. There's no way I'd be putting six Cornwalls in my living room! heheh

I just picked up the Sony STR-DB1070 6.1 A/V receiver and now I have to decide on a rear center speaker. I'm having some trouble making a selection.

Thanks!

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Nakamichi 482 Cassette Deck; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD

Bob,

All you have to do is mention "Cornwall" around here and they'll come running. Biggrin.gif Your setup is very similar to mine except I have the Chorus's up front (Cornwalls baby brother) and I like my system quite a bit. Supposedly, the Academy is the center channel that matches up with the Cornwall II's (and Chorus's) and from what I understand, the Heresy's are the perfect match for the Cornwalls. There are a number of people that are running a Heresy Center as well as Heresy surrounds with their Cornwalls.

As for your rear channel, I don't think you can go wrong with another pair of RS-3's (that's what I will have also for movies) but a single C-7 mounted on the back wall will do the trick as well (probably even better). Of course, this is all just my opinion and there are far more knowledgable people out here than I. If you have pictures of your setup (and from the looks of your website you certainly have the know how to take them :-) please share them with us...

Mike

Edit again: Oops...my bad! I see you said RC-3 and not RS-3 for your rear channel. I think the RC-3 would make an excellent rear channel, as would the C-7.

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 10-16-2001 at 02:42 PM

Bob,

Mike is correct! They are indeed 1979 Cornwalls.

I believe your have consecutive serial numbers too. The one you list as serial number 22T433. Is more likely 22T438. Some of those alpha and numeric characters can be very confusing. So take a real close at that last digit. I'm pretty certain it's an eight. Regardless of the number sequence, you have an outstanding pair of speakers.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-16-2001 at 05:14 PM

quote:

Originally posted by ShapeShifter:

Bob,

Mike is correct! They are indeed 1979 Cornwalls.

I believe your have consecutive serial numbers too. The one you list as serial number 22T433. Is more likely 22T43
. Some of those alpha and numeric characters can be very confusing. So take a real close at that last digit. I'm pretty certain it's an eight. Regardless of the number sequence, you have an outstanding pair of speakers.

Wes

Thanks! Is there any general consensus which is the preferred or better version? I notice that the II's have a higher output level.

Also, I've had some oddness the past year or so where the tweeters seem to either be off sometimes or just dull at times. If I turn the volume up a bit, they come back on clear again. Is this some sort of indication that I need to replace some diaphrams or something? It's very intermittant and I can always get them working fine again by either turning up the volume when there's some highs or by pugging and unplugging the speaker wire in the back of my amp which seems to make them come back on clear.

I've checked and it's definately not an amp issue. It's directly related to the speakers.

I don't know if they actually are off or just muffled when this happens. Any ideas?

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Nakamichi 482 Cassette Deck; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD