Cornwalls

rowooo

Hey Hey, about time i showed up isnt it LOL!

Listen, i have the academy for center as well as shapeshifter, that center seems to match the cornwall 1 or 2s!

And i got it cheaper than the C-7, or a single heresy!

Well, welcome to the forum, i have 2 pair in home theater, its an explosive expierience!

What i would try to do, and im not saying to do it, is rewire the inside of the cornwalls, sounds like a bad conection , maybe to the crossover network!

I think if the diaphram was going, i would be a constant out of sync situation!

Either dull, or off all the time!

If it still does this, get ahold of al, with ALK crossovers and ask him about the problem!

Hes here on the updating older speakers forum!

It could be the cross over also!

Hey Shapeshifter, my freind is buying the KLF-C7 instead of cornwalls!

What he is missing out on, in the midrange, i told him OH WELL!

No explosions in his house LOL!

Well, let us know if you get the tweeters going, and once agian, welcome aboard!

Regards Jim

Jim, Glad you showed up too. You've got a lot of technical experience with the Corns. > Good advice you gave. I'm barely above the light bulb changing stage. <LOL Plus he could post any additional concerns to the "Technical Questions" area of the forum to get additional comments from users. When you said.."my freind is buying the KLF-C7 instead of cornwalls!" did you mean instead of Academy?

Bob,

A belated welcome to you too! Regarding Cornwall I's vs. post 85 II's. I've never heard the later II's so I couldn't comment on which has better sound. I have 71 II's with vertical horns & 85 I's. So the earlier II's do present more detail in the mid/high frequency range, w/ slight advantage in bass vs. the 85 I's. However, based on comments from owners of later model II's and reviews of them at other sites, I believe all models of Cornwalls produce great sound and are indeed real treasures. I wouldn't pass up a great buy any model!

The best to all,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Mike L,

I was curious about the Cornwall-Cornwall II question myself when I was buying my 1984 vintage Cornwalls and wrote to Trey Cannon in which he replied...

"The Cornwall came out in 1959 as a center for the Klipschorn.The label Cornwall II was used from the late 60s early 70s as a way to mark the vertical horn models.That stopped when when the vertical horn models stopped.Then in the late 80s we went back to using the II when we changed to the outie mounted drivers"

So as you see there are actually 2 models of the Cornwall IIs.

Also,if anyone is interested in purchasing a pair of 1984 Cornwalls mine might be up for sale.They are oiled oak with brown grills and the factory risers.I say might because if the Klipschorns I am looking to buy aren't what I looking for I definately will not be selling the Cornwalls.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for clearing that up. So all Cornwall I's (pre-'85) that had the vertical horns were referred to as Cornwall II's. I believe Tom Adams' Cornwalls had the vertical horns as well. Can someone explain the differences with the horizontal and verticals horns? Which is preferred (I'm assuming the vertical are rarer)?

Mike

Sorry for the delay in responding. Could not gain access to the forum yesterday or earlier today. Message stated something like forums and shops not available due to maintenance?

Any whoI see that someone addressed the fact that there were II's that predated the Cornwall II models built after 1985. Yea, the first production models from 1959 till the mid 60's (maybe 63) were all vertical Cornwalls and not designated as II's. After that vertical horns were available as special orders and designated as II's. I know the vertical models were available in 72, saw them and heard them while stationed in Germany. Not sure after that year? Have some pic's of front and back of one of mine. The arrows indicate that the speaker can be set up horizontally or vertically. Sorry about the glare from flash.

Well the Cornwall seems to be the one Klipsch model that had the most variations during its production run. btw, I included a pic of 1972 La Belles (wish they were mine!) with PWK emblems in both right corners. My 71 emblems have same orientation. Still perplexed about these PWK emblem placements? Any historians to clarify.

Regards to all. Glad to have access again.

Wes

Ops,Revised Post: The Belles'have "K" alpha codes, so they're 1972'scwm9.gif

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-18-2001 at 09:37 PM

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Lindsey:

If you have pictures of your setup (and from the looks of your website you certainly have the know how to take them :-) please share them with us...

Mike

Mike.. Here's a url to a couple pics:

http://www.ravenimaging.com/bobl/audioequip/

Enjoy!

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Nakamichi 482 Cassette Deck; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD

I just picked up a pair from Mark Voigt (aka Soundbug1) and they are "M" series, so 1974, and they have vertically mounted horns, I guess making them one of the latest, initial model IIs.

I just got my tweeter fixed today, that I took apart and broke last Wednesday and things are grand.

While this new 'coil' has the flat copper hook up wires, as opposed to hair thin leads on the original coil, I can't hear a difference after a few hours between the two K-77 tweeters (EV T-35s.)

Chris

------------------

2 Channel #1:

Dynaudio Contour 3.0s

in black ash veneer.

Cary SLAM 100 monoblocs set to 95w Triode.

Blue Circle Galatea tube preamp.

Sony SCD-1 SACD player and ART DI/O DAC.

Kuzma Stabi w/external

PSU, Stogi Reference arm, Lyra Lydian B MC (.4mV) cart, SF Phono 1 SE tube stage.

PP300 and Chang CLS 9600 ac conditioners.

Stealth PGS ICs, Audio Note AN-VZ silver ICs, Vampire Wire ST-III copper spkr. cables and Shunyata Black Mamba & NBS AC III/Serpent II ac cords.

2 Channel #2

Wright Mono 8 300B monoblocs.

Doc Bottlehead's full blown Foreplay tube preamp.

Alesis Masterlink 9600 4.3g HD CD burner w/Dodson 217 mkII 'D v.1' DAC.

1974 Cornwall w/vertically arranged Alnico magnet drivers.

Italian ESB 7/08 3-way floor standers w/1" silk dome tweeters, 2" silk dome Mids and 10" woofers.

Restored Dynaco FM-1 w/stereo board tube tuner

Mike and Wes,

Yes, I'm happy it's working and we'll see if I need to match up the other one, but so far, so good.

Mike,

I'm testing my ability to provide a title to the link to my systems on AA's page. We'll see if I was successful.

Thanks Chris

This message has been edited by Chris Garrett on 11-15-2001 at 07:53 PM