Bose 901s mint 6th edition wiht stands and EQ

mpmiller1980

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a minority of one here but as I have previously posted, the 901 Series VI is not a bad speaker. It actually is really good sounding, good bass, good imaging, uncritical placement as long as you can stand them out a foot or so from the wall. I still maintain the 901 VIs are just about the only worthwhile price-versus-value items Bose makes. The much less exalted 301 bookshelf speakers are another.

Without rehashing my previous posts, I will only recap that I have both 901 VI's and relatively new Klipschorns (2003's), still run both systems in different areas of my house, and still thoroughly enjoy them both. No, the 901's can't run with the Klipschorns at full, live rock concert hall volume levels with the Khorns' stunning clarity and effortlessness. Yes, below those extremes they do what they do quite fully, clearly and nicely. And they look good too, and are one heck of a lot more easily placed than Klipschorns.

On the other hand, having to use them with their equalizer is a pain. Still , for a high-quality straight-stereo installation , they are worthy higher-end speakers at even their price new (some $1300) and , if they are in sonically and cosmetically excellent condition, a very good buy at half that price.

Tom,

What do you drive them with? I have a 100 wpc Adcom,GFA 5 something or other, that I used as a rear channel amp before I got the B & K 200.7 so I don't really know what it is capable of. What do you think? I already pawned my behemoth Carver to SunburnW so that's pretty much all I would have to drive them. I'm making a workout room in the garage and might do them. WTH, sumpin different.

By "them" were you referring to the 901's or the Klipschorns?

I am running the Boses with a vintage 1990 Pioneer VSX-5700S 100 wpc Dolby Pro-Logic receiver in a secondary HT system set up in an exercise area. That old receiver beast just keep truckin' along and sounds great, Pioneer built a goodie with that one. It has preamp-out - main-in jacks on all 5 channels, so I run the Boses through their equalizer as front mains, and nondescript small Radio Shack speakers for the center and surrounds. But the Boses carry the system and I frequently switch them to straight-stereo.

I run the Klipschorns with a 2005 Harman-Kardon AVR-235 7.1 channel Dolby Digital receiver. It is rated at only some 65 wpc but with the efficient Khorns and Belle Klipsch center, that hardly matters.

Khorns are notoriously amplifier-sensitive and I went through two or three other receivers including a brand-new Pioneer Elite before I settled on the HK. Before I decided to use the Khorns in a HT setup and got the Belle center, I ran the Khorns straight-stereo with the old Pioneer VSX-5700S receiver and boy, did they sound good. On the other hand a Sherwood straight-stereo amplifier, and a relatively new Onkyo TX-DS575 Dolby Digital receiver sounded awful, poor imaging, poor bass or a combination of both bads, and the Pioneer Elite had poor bass. Go figure. .

I hope the Bose 901s haven't been scooped up yet as I just may have to sell my Klipsch set up and buy into the Bose revolution in sound. Having just caught one of the manufacturers comercials, I must say Bose sounds really good, and twice as good at the half price point of this lists offering and the look is simply to die for, as they say.[;)]

///I'll have to give this some heavy concideration and will proll jump on the opportunity this year.[6]

///I'll have to listen to the commercial again.[;)]

I hope the Bose 901s haven't been scooped up yet as I just may have to sell my Klipsch set up and buy into the Bose revolution in sound. Having just caught one of the manufacturers comercials, I must say Bose sounds really good, and twice as good at the half price point of this lists offering and the look is simply to die for, as they say.[;)]

///I'll have to give this some heavy concideration and will proll jump on the opportunity this year.[6]

///I'll have to listen to the commercial again.[;)]

and while you're concidering things, conSider getting some help with that atrocious spelling, or at least learn how to use spellcheck. That's the little thingey that has ABC and a check mark by it. Or is concider a drink, like apple cider?

See! In my original post I tried to say this would happen. Happens every time.

Those series I 901's are pretty cool looking (doesn't stacking them like that kill the stereo imaging -OK, that was a cheap shot). They would work well in a game room where people are constantly moving around(one at each end) and set to mono.

901's sound very nice, just not for two channel critical listening. They have a nice bass heavy (and treble too) mellow sound. Put 'em in a game room and when you entertain, everyone will love them! They are great for that purpose.

Chris