Paradigm VS Klipsch

CopperPot

Hey folks, I'm still in the market for a set of speakers, I've been listening to the RF-35's and like them quite a bit. I hate to make a big purchase without doing an adequate amount of research so I've been shopping around a bit. Today I listened to Paradigm Monitor 11's which were a good speaker and priced slightly less than the RF-35's.

My question is can anyone tell me the real differences between the speakers, I wasn't able to listen to both brands today because I can't find a store that stocks both. I realize being in a Klipsch forum the answer will be get klipsch but what would an honest appraisal of the paradigm speakers be.

Thanks

The Klipsch will be easier to drive due to higher sensitivity. A 7 speaker system will put a load on any system, so high sensitivity helps.

The horn tweeter on the Klipsch has a better dispersion pattern. More of the sound will be direct and less will be off the walls in the higher frequencies.

There are many additional differences. The most important one is that the Klipsch are VERY unforgiving. Poor recordings sound very bad; poor electronics also sound bad. Everyting upstream from the Klipsch must be good or the sound is not so good.

Bill

Welcome coppertpot,

Both lines of speakers are excellent choices. Given that, they are very

different from each other. Obviously being a Klipsch board you will

here why Klipsch sound better to US. You need to make that decision on

what sounds better to you. The RF35 is a wonderful technological little

marval with years of heritage behind it. They are revealing, good or

bad, can be perticular without the right electronics and sound

incredible when everything jells. They are a very detailed speaker that

is crystal clear with very good overall bass response,

I will say I have not listen to the Paradigm line in the last year. But

my impressions at the time were very pleasing. They are very different

sounding speaker almost "soft" in their sound and layed back. The build

quality seems to be very good as well.

But keep in mind I also run La Scala's, Heresy's and other Klipsch in my system and I am use to a very LIVE sound.

The Paradigm's are a good product so if you decide to go that route I'm sure you would be happy.

Difference overall...

IMO if you recorded a pin drop onto a glass surface and played it back

though each set you would wonder why you didn't hear it the same way on

the Paradigm's as you did the Klipsch...In one word Klipsch are "Dynamic"

I like to listen to what is out there to see if my listening habits

have changed. I am at the point in my life that if I found something

better and it fit within my home I would buy it. I would like to add

Khorns to my system but I also think my La Scala's paired with a THX

Ultra sub combo could beat the pants off of them.

Take your time, your own music or better yet if they can playback DVD

Audio or a SACD go buy a disc in one of these formats (something you

really know) and take it in with you. If they don't have a player

hooked up, make them hook one up.

Good luck

Hope that helps

scooter

Two quick points concerning Paradigm loudspeakers.

1. They build everything "in house".

(last time I checked, anyway)

That includes drivers and crossovers.

....which can be as big of a hinderance as it can be a benefit. IMO

2. They are engineered to have a very flat response across their usable freq. spectrum.

This is ultimately the polar opposite of what Klipsch offers.

.....and again, in my opinion, is quite boring unless your doing some very critical monitoring in a relatively inert environment.

Regards,

John.

You're right, I was listening to both brands again today, this time with my own music. The sound didn't seem to "leap out" of the paradigms the way they do in the klipsch. I was listening to Johnny Cash's "Hurt" to get a feel for how they would play some delicate acoustic music and they weren't so hot. I then tried the Klipsch and the sound difference was amazing.

I tried to buy the RF-35's today but the salesman I've been dealing with wasn't their so I have to wait until tomorrow. The other guy wouldn't sell them to me.

You're right, I was listening to both brands again today, this time with my own music. The sound didn't seem to "leap out" of the paradigms the way they do in the klipsch.

Sort of how I felt when I narrowed it down to Klipsch, Paradig'em, and DefTech. After listening to very farmiliar music, the decision was easy.

The soundstage on my 7s are enormous, to boot.

You're right, I was listening to both brands again today, this time with my own music. The sound didn't seem to "leap out" of the paradigms the way they do in the klipsch.

I went through the same experience on 09/30 comparing Paradigm and Klipsch speakers. I drove 50 miles to a HiFi dealer in Cincinnati to compare two Paradigm S4 and Studio 100 speakers. My intention was to drive home with the Paradigm speakers that sounded best. I also carried along some SACDs I had become well acquainted with after listening to them for several weeks on Mackie SRM450s. After expressing to the salesman my disappointment in the sound I was hearing from the Paradigm speakers ( I even listened to their top-of-line Signature S8 speakers) , the dealer recommended I listen to Klipsch RF7s. I will always remember 09/30 as the date my obsession with Klipsch speakers began. The only thing that kept me from coming home that day with RF7s was the Klipsch website the salesman showed me that listed the Heritage speaker line. After hearing RF7s and being told that I could expect more of that "RF7 sound" from the Heritage line of speakers, I began a quest for an opportunity to hear these Heritage speakers. Thanks to this great forum, Amy, the forum moderator, and employees at Klipsch headquarters in Indianapolis that quest was completed on 10/10. After listening to Heresys, Cornwall IIIs and the new Klipschorns, I have been trying to aquire Heritage speakers for over two months, even placing bids on used Cornwalls, LaScallas and Klipschorns on Ebay where pickup was within 360 miles. After multiple attempts to acquire used Heritage speakers have failed I rationalize my unsuccessful attempts as confirmation that I am destined to acquire Cornwall IIIs in January.

The best advice I could give is to repeat Scooterdog's comment :

"You need to make that decision on what sounds better to you."

Good luck.

The conversion stories are fun to read. Once you listen to Klipsch side by side with another brand, you will almost always pick Klipsch. I have said before that I have always wanted a nice Martin Logan setup for home theater and music. After listening to them critically in a well set up demo room, I found the Klipsch sounded as good or better for MUCH less money! This put my Martin Logan dreams down the crapper. So I just stick with my Klipsch.......

Remember, if you don't buy Klipsch, don't buy at all! Many of you are guilty of breaking this fundamental law of the Universe....... It is a proven fact, that more scientific discoveries of such importance they will change life on Earth, are done when listening to Klipsch speakers. The proof is in the pudding, er, uh, I mean in the listening!

My question is can anyone tell me the real differences between the speakers,

Thanks

My studio 40's (monitor) sounded pretty good for movies but when it came to music the tweeter was unbearable just like the rest of the Studio line including the S-series. The Klipsch RF-5 and the RF-7 horn sounded much smoother.

I suggest when comparing the two brands listen to the difference in the highs, it helped me make my choice much easier.