Re-build La Scala's

jedo

You're in the right place.

You can get the K33 woofers from Klipsch for about $129 each, the K401 mid horn is $49 each. We have a guy here named Bob Crites (name BEC) who makes crossovers and stocks all kinds of other parts, so you could probably get xovers, rebuilt tweeters, and mid drivers from him.

It's entirely do-able. It's relatively inexpensive when you consider that a pair of good LS is usually $800-$1200 used and they are now made again, as the LSII with a retail price of about $5500.

Michael

well, if you're going to "mod" them in the future anyway,

now is no better time than to pick up some 511b's and altec 902's (i still don't have my pair yet [:(]), along with building ES networks (last time i priced out the parts it was a bit under $300 if i remember correctly).

may also want to do that ported cabinet mod

Hello Jedo,

Just what colterphoto1 said .

And it is certain not a hopeless project !!!

In januari Bob Crites comes up with a update tweeter for the K-77.

He has all the parts.

Just start with the cabinet .........Paint it Black ....

Somewhere i saw this picture...........just beautiful.

Bennyboy

post-16977-13819278310174_thumb.jpg

Congratulations. I agree with the above that it is a do-able project.

You may find that with all the parts, the cost is getting up near so e-bay used units. Those though might have their own problems including cost of shipping.

OTOH, I think the experience is, like the commercial says, priceless. You'll become one of our resident experts in the LS.

Tofu is suggesting going off on another form of work. I would say that restoring to original condition is far more easy. But that is up to you.

There has been a fair amount of traffic on the problems of fixing up raw or lacquered birch (the only choice) when the units have been beat up. Indeed painting could be the most straghtforward solution.

Best,

Gil

There's a guy on ebay who has all the parts from a pair of LaScalas for sale. The woofers are EVM 15L which you'll be just fine with. YES I KNOW they're 8 ohm, but for a first timer, they will operate and have like a 400 watt rating, so they won't blow up, ever![;)] ONe of them is blown, so a recone is in order. This pile o parts is worth

400 horns 100

55 mids 150

77 tweets 150

woofs bad 100

al xovers 100

I wouldn't give over like $600 for the whole pile. But it's everything you need in one purchase to make them work for now.

M

There's a guy on ebay who has all the parts from a pair of LaScalas for sale. The woofers are EVM 15L which you'll be just fine with. YES I KNOW they're 8 ohm, but for a first timer, they will operate and have like a 400 watt rating, so they won't blow up, ever![;)] ONe of them is blown, so a recone is in order. This pile o parts is worth

400 horns 100

55 mids 150

77 tweets 150

woofs bad 100

al xovers 100

I wouldn't give over like $600 for the whole pile. But it's everything you need in one purchase to make them work for now.

M

That auction has a lot of parts. I have considered bidding on them myself. Those price quotes are fairly accurate. Thing is, I don't need the electronics. I just want the doghouses for experimenting purposes. If somone want to win this auction and sell me the doghouses, I'm in!. I could ask the seller to mail me the doghouses and then you won't have to eat the shipping costs. He could mail them to me and I pay you for the doghouses.

Anyone interested.

jc

If someone were to want a Cornscala project however, this would be a good start. Those K55s and K400 horns are worth $350 on there own. The tweeters are worth $100. The woofers aren't worth $100. The AL networks aren't worth much at all (although I sold my pair on Ebay for $150..go figure).

I just want the doghouses. Poor shape but for some test boxes,they don't need to be pretty.

jc

Hey guys,

I am the seller of the components from the La Scalas presently listed on ebay. I bought the pair of La Scalas about a year ago locally. The cabinets were in poor shape but they sounded great; I even bought a Harmon Kardon HK 730 receiver as recommended on this forum. I had ideas about making some very nice cabs for them and getting some ALK'sbut realistically didn't have the time. So, I decided to remove the drivers and crossovers from them and sell them to, hopefully, someone who can build a cabinet and keep them going.( That's why I didn't "part them out.") I am a vintage audiophile who treasures old, vintage gear. (My main system is a Quad ESL 57's, Fisher 400C pre, SA 300 amp)

Anyway, the La Scalas were great sounding speakers. I want to clarify one point; I never heard any rattling from either speaker. It was only when I removed the woofers and noticed someone had placed some masking tape on the back of the woofer that stated "rattling." I then hooked both woofers up, in free air, to a receiver and both sounded clean and normal. (albeit without cabinet) I noticed the screws to both woofers were not as tight as they should be. So, I am not sure what the message on the tape was referring to because I do not think any of the woofers are blown.

I just wanted to clarify this on the ebay ad.

I visit this forum occasionally and it's fun to see all the mods you guys are doing to Klipsch speakers. When I was 20, I built a pair of K-Horn cabinets using drivers from Speakerlab. I know the throat was wrong but they sounded ok. That was my first foray into horns.

Sorry for the rant; Merry Chistmas to all!

Thanks Jim. The info is helpful. Those doghouses look to be in bad shape but as long as they are the original La Scala bass bins and not some knock off....I'm interested in them. They aren't worth much and may be difficult to use but I really just want them for gimmicks and for reference to build a possible custom design.

Thanks for posting Jim. It looks like the gentlemen of the Forum made a good effort on this ebay transaction and all of those LS will be utilized to their fullest. Thanks for keeping the lot together for the sale, as it made the sale a bit more economical for the 'hobbyists' here in Klipschland.

Michael

Hi,I am new in the Forum.I am from Berlin,Germany and have a Pair of La Scala for about 30 years now,all original specification.For better Tweeter performance I use a Pair of Plasma Tweeters-ATR Ion-Tweeter on top instead of the original.

Does it make sense to upgrade the original " historic "crossover and internal wiring to better ones. And if so,any tips for that?

If I am in the wrong thread or the theme is discussed already ,please give me the link.

Thx FKjazz

Thx for answer, can I buy the crossovers also complete somewhere.I'm not experienced in DY any electronical components.What about the internal wiring,any sense in using Silver cables--the original look very simple and "cheep".Are there other Terminals available for connecting the speaker cables --to banana-plugs maybe? I am not very lucky with the original screw fixing ,doesn't fit to any modern cables.

FKjazz