Tube preamp shootout.

Chicago_Pete

The contenders were a Philly Audio 7B, Luxman CL35 Mark 3, Audio Research SP8, and a Conrad Johnson PV10BL. I only auditioned them with CD playback, hooked to McIntosh 30s, K-Horns and Audioquest cables.

The one that sounded to best to me was a surprise since I paid the least for it. The Conrad Johnson.

I see a few of the forum members have the Juicy Music preamp. Has anyone upgraded to the Juicy from any of the above mentioned?

Pete

I just sold a Magus MFA tubed preamp that was outstanding. It had one of the cleanest circuit board layouts that I have ever seen and sounded great. I never compared it directly to my Peach because I added the Peach with several mods at once and the Peach got better after break in. Both great tubes preamps but I would be interested to see the Magus against the other used gear above. It is known as an audio "bargain" that has a great phono stage and "black" background.

Chris

Why the CJ?

Great question, not being a tech guy I was afraid that someone would ask.

The CJ has more detailed bass by far. Big slam, short decay, not muddy. The highs are crisp without being bright and annoying.

The AR SP8 would probably be fantastic with a non-horn speaker. It was just way too clean with the K-horns.

The Luxman sounded veiled, no big thrills on either end. Reminded me of a couple of C22's that I have had.

The Philly 7B runs a close second to the CJ. It really doesn't make sense looking inside at the Chinese firecracker like capacitors, piss-poor build quality, and the silk-screening for the volume control actually reads "lovume." But this mutt sounds great!

Pete

That old CJ PV-10 can be a sweet preamp, and a much better deal with the phono stage (B had no balance if I remember correctly and was a step up from the A). On the whole, their presentation leans towards the richer side with the Audio Research more the bleached end of the spectrum. You lucked out and bought one of the only Audio Research that I think is really musical besides a few of the early models. I had a few in my system including the SP-9 Mk II and found it analytical to a fault and a downgrade musically from the SP-8.

Actually, your results didnt surprise me too much. Indeed, I posted a long post with pics of the first Philly preamps here wth recs that it looked like a possible winner for the ducats. Do a search and you'll see the posts buried in the archives. Ditto with the CJ. I have some pics in here of the internals.

philly_audio_7b.jpg

It has all the right stuff and Ive since heard a few good things as well.

The tube preamp is a godsend and an overachiever compared to the many solid state offerings in this price range. I havent REALLY liked a solid state active line stage preamp for long term since I dont know when and I've had some heavy hitters pass through.

kh