Moral Dilemna: Purchasing and Returning

ancientdude

THe big retailers have a 30 day money back guarantee, so here is my situation:

I have sold my amp and bought another amp but am still in need of a pre/pro so while I sm waiting for my amp to arrive I amconsidering heading down to the local futureshop and purchased a yamaha receiver that is on sale (with every intention of returning it before the 30 days are up). I only want to purchased it to be able to listen to music in the time I would be without, but if it really sounds good, I might just keep it...who really knows in the end?

Anyone find this morally objectional....

I know I am studying philosophy, in particular ethics, but second opinions are greatly appreciated...thank you!

I do not buy anything on such terms unless I am likely to keep the unit. In the US, returned merchandise is B stock or Z stock or open box etc that usually sells at a 20% to 50% discount. It is illegal to sell returned good as "New-in-Box" (NIB).

The other side of such a practice is that it will become more difficult for others to return merchadise in the future.

Bill

IMO, this one is a tossup.

When the seller has a "no questions asked" return policy, they do this to be friendly to the buyer and to attract buyers who may be ambivalent to the purchase. The buyer may return the item and it is within the stated/written terms of the contract.

I do not think this is a hardship on the seller. They sell open box items routinely still recover their wholesale price and more.

If the buyer's conscience troubles him or her, that's a good reason to not proceed.

This is a case which, IMO is not morally objectionable.

On occasions when I have considered such, I usually pass on the opportunity. Not really that it is such a bad thing to do. I just seems to much like work to return the item and packaging properly packed as original. I find it exhausting to wind up all those little cords, etc.

I agree with what's been said above. If you have to ask, you know the answer, treat others as you would have them treat you. Someone said that this unit could not be resold as new, therefore you are costing the retailer some profit and therefore other prices must increase if this practice would become widespread.

Just do the right thing. Isn't there another way to enjoy music for a short while? There must be some other music system around the house. Or do as I did a while back and do without, then you'll appreciate your new purchase just that much more.

You'll be fine. But thanks for being honest and telling on yourself.

Michael+

Just an observation about this thread.... it may be that the sampling so far (four posters) is not yet representative of the Klipsch forum as a whole...

... but I find it most interesting so far that the responses are three Nay and one OK.

It actually makes me feel good about doing business with forum folks. I have thought that for a long time, but it is another confirmation of my opinion.

I doubt if there are very many downloader music pirates among the posters here or folks who would steal software licenses.

BTW, back in the bad old Napster days, my girls were furious with me because I wouldn't let them download pirated music from napster.

Now I pay for their monthly membership in Napster.

Don't you end up paying a restocking fee when you purchase and then return an item? There's gotta be some kind of catch otherwise one could make a habit of purchasing and returning stereo equipment once every month.

Technically you're within the bounds of the contract so I see no problem with it...though I would never feel comfortable doing it myself.

I remember reading somewhere that there are companies that keep tabs on

how often you refund stuff. Thats why some stores ask you your phone

number or home address or drivers license. The few spoil the rest it

would seem. Though its not every store that uses the return system the

store that do keep tabs andI heard that they even refuse to refund

items when you return them excessively.... just another big brother is

all

Well,

obviously intentions really decide in this situation.

If your intention is to borrow and return, it isnt ethically proper.

If your intention is to find something that you like, there shouldnt be a problem. Thats why they have the policy, so the customer can find the product that best fits their agenda, both physically and economically.

Nope, no restocking fee at most places (Wal$Mart and Best Buy I know

for sure). Although while Best Buy discounts the returned items,

Wal$Mart just tapes them shut and does sell them as new. Yet one more

reason not to shop there IMO.

It also depends on the items being sold. My company does business with

a lot of these chain stores selling readers and sunglasses. Items

returned by consumers are usually shipped back to us and we get a

chargeback bill. What killed my company was when this "Powerful

Company" went directly to our supplier bypassing us (ohh and some of

our valued employees I believe ended up working for them). My company

filed for bankruptcy because we lost a huge percentage of our business

when they did that. Ohh well, it was good until it lasted.