Any experience with the Eminence line of tweeters: APT-200, APT-150, APT-80

jwc

The horn will have the exact front dimensions as the K-77, so yes, Z-brackets would be needed for the newer Heritage products. The horn material will be a black plastic.

Looking like around the end of next week (Jan 27) before I see finished products.

Bob Crites

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The horn will have the exact front dimensions as the K-77, so yes, Z-brackets would be needed for the newer Heritage products. The horn material will be a black plastic. Looking like around the end of next week (Jan 27) before I see finished products. Bob Crites

Hoo, hoo!!! Getting closer!!!

Some of us are counting the days until we can replace our K-77s!

Again, thanks from us for designing and developing the new tweet.

Between those and my upcoming Trachorns, my Belles are in for a treat!

Carl.

P.S. Of course, thanks also goes to Al for designing his fine products.....

So when i order Bobs new tweeters what do i need to do to my AA and ALK crossovers to take advantage of the new crossover points?Is there an easy fix for the crossovers to get the crossover points where you guys think it should be?Icant seem to down load Bobs schematic on this thread.Thanks for any help .Rick

Rick,

I asked Al K about doing the 4500hz mod on his Universal Type A replacement. He thought it would take alot of changes to make that work, basically a redesign. He has another crossover in mind which he thinks would work better at these points.

In the type A or AA, the mod requires adding an inductor in line between the autoformer and squawker tap on the barrier strip. Easily accomplished with no soldering, on BEC's crossovers.

The sound is so good with the new tweeter and xover mod, I think I'm done with my Khorns. They sound that good.

Best compliment I've had was from Lee Clinton, and he said, 'well, damn you.'

Dee:

What you mentioned about this has stuck with me. I'm very interested in trying just what you have done with Bob's new tweeters. I've got some Lexicon processor 'issues' with the center channel that need to be cured before anything else, but I've got those X-over modifications and new tweeters to hopefully look forward to just a few miles down the road from now.

Marie and I have 'conferenced' ;) Klipschorn mods that would ultimately and pretty obviously alter the appearance of the speakers, and have come to the conclusion that it would probably be best to maintain their essentially original appearance. So far, I've removed the grille cloth and installed half of a tennis ball under the very back of the tophat (to angle the top section downward slightly), but that's all. The tennis ball half compresses just slightly with the pressure applied by tightening the wing nuts that secure the bottom and top sections, and seems to be working well.

You know what would be kind of cool? It would be pretty easy to use an original K-77 horn as the basis for a mold for lost-wax casting in bronze! Once done, a 'tree' could be produced where a couple of dozen wax horns could be burned out and cast in bronze at the same time. The horns would then be cut off the tree, and then lightly filed and ground as needed to smooth all surfaces. Then, they could be polished to a beautiful red-brass color (either mirror finish or satin) and then sealed against oxidation with a couple of coats of clear lacquer. Gosh, I wish I still had access to the equipment needed to try this. I know of a foundry in Bastrop Tx. (near Austin) that could handle the job easily, but it wouldn't be cheap.

Erik

Erik,

Yes, I think you would be delighted with the crossover mod and BEC tweeter. That's one that that's very nice about the new tweeter. It is a drop in replacement, physically and sonically for the K77.

The only difference in the way it would look is that it does not have the phase plug out front as the K77 does. Other than that, the horn flare looks just like the K77.

The bronze casting sounds like it would be most interesting project.