"I need to liquify my solid state" sez Dean

Jeff Matthews

Jeff,

I bet you at low to moderate listening levels your marantz crushes your crown in smoothness, less hard sounding.

Noooo. Checked that out last night. For example, on "Hey Nineteen," the drummer is playing the high-hat on a 2-count with his left hand and a 4-count with his right, hitting the snare on the 3rd count.

Through, the Marantz, you can't hear the 4 count going. Just the 2-count.

That is because the highs tend to be rolled off on the marantz its what gives it that tube like sound that people refer too. So yes with 70's vintage marantz you are going to miss some of what is there for a more smooth sound.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shawn, I read the correct scale. As

to the SPL meter, I am hearing $60 is what they run. Don't want

to chunk the $60 for a one-time use. If I was in the stereo

business, that'd be different.

I'd say you'll get much more than one time use,its very handy and I

bought mine for about 40 bucks.Not to mention that soon you'll know

more about audio than many in the stereo biz.

Another note Jeff,

My 125wpc marantz 2325 will kick you in the chest. So depending on which model you choose and which listening habits you have there are many marantz to choose from. But i do agree if you are for pulling out every single detail out of the music and that is what you listen for you will not be happy with any vintage marantz. But i can rock the house and not get an earbleed[;)]

Shawn, I read the correct scale. As to the SPL meter, I am hearing $60 is what they run. Don't want to chunk the $60 for a one-time use. If I was in the stereo business, that'd be different.

you said you were a lawyer.....

whats $60 bucks? and they can be had for $40 as well

and $30 on ebay....

Stormin, I'm not beating Marantz as hard as you might think. I beat the 2230 because it deserves it next to my Crown. Recall I did say the Marantz 1180DC 90-watt/channel integrated amp/pre-amp was a very, very nice amp. Still outclassed by my Crown for the qualities I was seeking, but nonetheless, very, very nice!

Yeah, I'm a lawyer and could easily puke out the $60, but I kind of have a "cheapness" about me. If you've ever read "The Millionaire Next Door" (though I'm not a millionaire, yet), you'd see I'm like the millionaires who turned down Dom Perignon while saying "My favorite beer is any beer that's free." [;)]

Craig, did you get the tune?

Yeah, but I'll bet that SPL meter is like

hi-fi, too! You buy the $30 one, and someone tells you you should

have bought the $60 one. Then, somebody tells you you should have

bought the $100 one, and so on.......

Well..if you buy into alot of audiophoolery you may get freaked but the rat shack analog will get tha job done very well.

perhaps you might consider representing people with Hearing Disabilitys ....

chances are ..you won't have to look far for a Client .....[:D]......[:D].......[:D]

THAT was good! Sent them endorphins right up to the brain at 250 watt peaks.

I maintain that my hearing is pretty decent, though. But I will get a test done, and then start having a test every few years or so.

Well..if you buy into alot of audiophoolery you may get freaked but the rat shack analog will get tha job done very well.

That's my issue. There's at least ONE audiophooler on this thread - - - maybe me! [;)]

But I'm sure it's damn loud no matter which way you cut it. Not too many people tend to be able to take it.

If I go downstairs and outside, I can still hear the mids and highs well - even though there are no windows or doors open. i.e. there is little degradation in tonal mix through exterior walls.

Again folks, you all keep focusing on that volume like it's all I listen to. Let me say again, I only listen that loud as sort of a 3 or 4 song "cap" at then end. Just to go "Wow!" I think only a freak could stay and listen to that for an hour or more. No way. Not me. But I like it for a few tunes, and I'm done.

If I go downstairs and outside, I can still hear the mids and highs well - even though there are no windows or doors open. i.e. there is little degradation in tonal mix through exterior walls.

LMAO. Now that is loud. If i am jamming i've had my wife say she can hear the bass a block away but the highs are subdued out in the front yard. You might need to lower that volume a bit. Maybe you just need a couple of big subs to kick you around a bit. But those highs are really going to hurt ya.

LMAO. Now that is loud. If i am jamming i've had my wife say she can hear the bass a block away but the highs are subdued out in the front yard. You might need to lower that volume a bit. Maybe you just need a couple of big subs to kick you around a bit. But those highs are really going to hurt ya.

That's why it's only a 3 or 4 song "capper." Then, I'm done. [:D]

Anyone even remotely serious about this hobby AT LEAST has a freaking Rat Shack SPL meter. You're starting to piss me off -- shell out the $60 so you can see what's going on with your system and hearing or quit starting these inane threads.

Back to the basic point. Let's just say, for argument's sake, I'm pushing 39-watts at 1/2 up on my Crown - we "ballparked" it at that and left room for alot of error - but let's go with that.

The "big" difference between the 30-watt amp I have and the 90-watt amp I used to have is in the punch - especially in the bass and lower mids.

Now, with that said, I don't get that effect with the lower-powered amps, so I am surmising, I think correctly, that the "punches" in the lows and low mids come from vastly higher peaks than 39 watts. This was the whole thing about headroom and higher-powered amps.

Now, I feel SURE that vastly higher peaks in the lows and low mids (like say 150 or 200 watts) is not going to be an ear-bleeder since we are dealing with low frequencies. Correct?

If so, does that not support the initial point that to achieve that particular "punch" quality in a sound (whether it meets your taste or not), you gotta run a seriously high-powered amp?

Dean, you are looking to supply me with some information that I am not after. Please don't get frustrated, but I'm not here to "brag" about SPL's I listen to. I just wanted to know the basic theory as to my previous post about headroom, and whether the "punch" comes from having all that power. And I don't mean "the" punch like lower power won't get any punch. I know it's all in degrees.

But my question was are the punch dynamics (meaning greater punch differential adjacent to moderate tones) increased when you have more power to deliver to the speakers?

BTW: Where's Craig with that tune?