Forum issues

Amy

Thumpel, check your drive, you or the old site may be infected by a

trojan. Clicked the link and my anti-virus caught and cleaned the

Exploit.WMF trojan. Doubled checked by going back and clicking

your link and caught the trojan again.

Note to webmaster, better check the link or the old site from your end also.

Folks, stay away from the link or the old site until this is

resolved. I will also be scanning my computer because maybe I

picked it up today and am in actuality the culprit. I'll let you

know if it's from end as soon as scan is completed.

Now really...........How can I be spreading a virus by posting a link to the old forum? I'll remove the link just in case.

Rick.

neither of us said you spread it, ol'e Thebes said you may have been infected by it.

it could be the reason the search function is down to begin with

Guest Webmaster

I've passed this on to the network guys so they can take a look.

The only thing I think is odd is that the new and old forums are on the same server, so if there really is a WMF Trojan on that server, you should be getting it on these forums as well.

Guest Webmaster

Ok, the network guys did a virus scan on that server with the most recent virus definitions and they couldn't find anything. What anti-virus software are you guys using?

The other odd thing I noticed is that when I did a search for .wmf files on that server, there were none at all, so it shouldn't have been possible for the old forums to even trigger anti-virus software to think there was a wmf trojan. As I understand it, the exploit only exists in .wmf files. If the old forums used .wmf files, then I could see how an anti-virus program could maybe get a false positive out of those, but since they aren't used anywhere on that site, it shouldn't be possible. I don't know what else would've caused that to be triggered though, unless it's some ad-ware installed on your computers possibly?

I'm using Mcafee and it comes up with the Exploit-wmf trojan. I

scanned my computer using McAfee, Lavasoft and Spybot and they all came

up empty so it's not on my computer.

File name given by McAfee for the trojan is: nxbubyge.emf

I just accessed the old site using the history bar on Mozilla

(don't have the link saved anywhere else) and the the McAfee warning

popped up again and like the other two times immediately cleaned

it. Hope this helps, maybe it is McAfee simply getting

confused. By the way my definitions and McAfee program software

are up to date and I only run their anit-virus sotware not all the

other junk they have, and of course, my Windows XP firewall is up.

Ok, the network guys did a virus scan on that server with the most recent virus definitions and they couldn't find anything. What anti-virus software are you guys using?

The other odd thing I noticed is that when I did a search for .wmf files on that server, there were none at all, so it shouldn't have been possible for the old forums to even trigger anti-virus software to think there was a wmf trojan. As I understand it, the exploit only exists in .wmf files. If the old forums used .wmf files, then I could see how an anti-virus program could maybe get a false positive out of those, but since they aren't used anywhere on that site, it shouldn't be possible. I don't know what else would've caused that to be triggered though, unless it's some ad-ware installed on your computers possibly?

Norton antivirus doesn't find any viruses on my computer. When I go to the old forum site, I just get a warning that a file is about to be downloaded, with the option to cancel, save or open it. I just hit cancel to stop the download. Here's what the warning says.

File name: ..........................emf.

The file type is: IrfranView EMF file.

Sent from: thedivide.ws

I hope this helps, Rick.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to disagree with the Klipsch network guys, but after running my weekly sweep with the following NINE programs plus Norton Anti Virus, I see the same problem as everyone else when I visit the old site.

My system is clean and the only site that does this is the old forum site which we sure would hate to loose.

BHODemon
Security Task Manager
Ad-Aware
eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware
Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware beta
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Spyware Doctor
Webroot Spy Sweeper
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

Norton Anti Virus

• Moderators

We will most likely be shutting down the old forum because of this issue. It looks as though a link or attachment somewhere is creating a problem---we still cannot find it on our actual server.

Save whatever posts you must, everyone!

Guest Webmaster

Problem solved. The virus was not on the server so the network guys were right. What happened is that someone hacked into the admin screens for the old forums (still not sure how they did that though but it's the only way they could've done this) and added an HTML iframe tag to the description of one of the forums that linked to an infected file on a different site.

AMD's forums had the same problem yesterday and someone somewhere online (I can't remember where I read it) mentioned that someone had used an iframe tag in their username to do the same thing so that made me start looking for iframes in the HTML source code on the old forums. I discovered one on the main page.

Anyway, I did kill the old forums anyway since someone figured out how to hack them. Since there are links that point towards the old forums in older posts, I wrote some code that grabs the topicid from the link to the old forums that anyone may link to and redirects it to a page on the new forums that tries to find the correct match. Of the testing I've done, it works well for specific topics. If you try to link to any other section of the old forums, it won't work. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it's working ok.

This has been a bit of a roller-coaster -- I like to keep a particular thread of mine around, and fortunately was able to go to it a minute ago from my bookmark via a new link.

FYI, the paragraph above the new link says: "You've stumbled across a post from our old forum, which is no longer active. However, all of the posts from that forum have been moved to this forum. Below you will find the most likely match for the post you are looking for. If no results are returned or this isn't what you were looking for, try the forum search above."

Larry, there were two of my posts I referred back to quite often. I just used the search to find them...now that does not work. Are you saying you can get to posts in the old forum if you had them bookmarked? If so I am bummed I did not ever book mark them. [:(]