GM brings back the Camaro muscle car

Thanks for posting this Rick. The 60's Camaros were my favorite one's and I had been looking forward to it making a comeback like Ford did with styling the new Mustang after the 60's models. I thought I had heard GM had cancelled this program due to their money troubles but I must have been mistaken.

I too, was very disappointed that Dodge missed the mark on the new Charger by making it a 4-door (what WERE they thinking?). I am a huge fan of old Cameros, I owned a 68 SS. Although the Camero Concept looks interesting, to me looks more like a 71 Challenger than a Camero. But, the new Challeger Concept is awesome! And, It's a TWO-DOOR! And considering I'm usually a Ford fan these days, that's saying a lot. I love the new Shelby Mustang GT 500. But for $55,000 for the convertible, they can keep it. My wife's 96 SVT Cobra Mustang (21,000 miles) that is still sitting in our garage is paid for and suits me just fine for now! There's some pretty exciting hardware being debuted at this year's Detroit Auto Show this week. -Glenn

post-10177-13819278964458_thumb.jpg

About a mounth ago I bought my son a 2005 GTO for an early college graduation gift. A 400 HP with a 6 speed manual. The car has the git up and go of the old mussle cars, but can handle in the corners with it's independent front and rear supension and rack and pinion steering.

The car is a blast to drive. When he can handle it a little better we are going to run it againts my wifes Corvette.

If they bring back the Comaro and or Firebird I hope they do it like the way they did the GTO.

I drove the new Charger, and 300. Not even close. I test drove a lot of cars this last year before deciding to get my wife the Vette and my son the GTO. My wife says I'm having one of those mid life crisis things.

Hopefully it goes into production.

I think the rear quarter panels and esp. the roofline nails the 'look'

of the first generation Camaros. The grill needs a little more work

though looks sort of a like a mix between the Firebird and Camaro

grills of the originals.

Don't know why they targetted the '69 though, I hated the crease on the

fenders on them. '67s look best IMO with vent windows and round mirrors.

Shawn

Former '67 Firebird 326 owner.......

Rick,

Thanks for the post. Looks pretty good with the retro lines. It does remind me of the old Camaro cars.

Not as close to the original lines as in the new Challenger, but it is decent.

I agree that the Dodge Charger is not of the same lineage as the real Chargers.

I agree good looking car (nuther Ford guy here) BUT 2009 for production? By then everyone will have moved on.

The Camaro has not been made since 2002 I think? So it will be 7 years out of production if this one is introduced in 2009.

Laters,

Jeff

EDIT: LOL I see everyone beat me to it on the date info

Rah, Rah!

It will just be another poorly built, noisy, squeaky, plastic piece of GM garbage that is constantly spewing out of Detroit. I would take a brand new Honda Civic Si over it any day! It will cost less, use less fuel, hold its value better, and with a few mods, outrun and outhandle it if it ever does come out.

I owned a '94 F-Body for a few years so I know what I am talking about. GM Crap.