ESNs/Altecs 4 sale and a lot more...

sfogg

Some general closet/basement/attic cleaning....

Since I've moved to tri-amping my setup I am no longer using Al's ES-600T Extreme Slope networks. They are a little over two years old and of course work fine. I was running LaScala bass bins as two ways using these with Altec 902-8B drivers on 511B horns and they sounded great.

I have (3) of the ES-600Ts for sale. One of the crossovers has a somewhat different coil positioning then the other two. Al changed the layout slightly after building the first ES-600T. AFAIK these are the first three ES-600Ts Al ever built. $200 each or all 3 for $500. (Price lowered)

http://alkeng.com/es_lo.html

Altec 902-8Bs for sale if one wanted to use them with the ES-600Ts. The Altec are in very good shape and sound great. They have the rarer thinner (better HF response) 902-8A style diaphragms in them. $75 each. (Sold)

Three of Bob Crites autoformers. These are the model with 1dB steps of attenuation. I was using them for a few months between my Teac's and tweeters to reduce the amps hiss but since I modded to Teac's to lower their hiss I no longer need them. $25 each. (Think these are sold)

Four Altec 811B horns. They won't go low enough for the ES-600T. One I believe has a green outer body but is black inside the horn. $50 each.

ACI Titan subwoofer. The original Titan model in Rosewood finish. Very musical 12" sealed sub that has a very high WAF. I ran a pair of them with my LaScala's to help fill in their low end and they worked well in that regard below around 100-103dB where their limiters would keep them from getting nasty. Have box/manual. $450 (Sold)

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/ACI/

Behringer BFD 1124 Pro... very popular unit to use for EQing subwoofers with its 12 parametric EQs in it. Can be automatically setup with the Room EQ wizard freeware measurement software. Have box and I believe the manual. $40 (Priced lowered)

http://www.behringer.com/DSP1124P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Audio Control Richter Scale III ... primarily an outboard fourth order crossover intended for subwoofer use. Also has some basic measurement capabilities along with a few bands of graphic EQ for subwoofers. For treating room problems the graphic EQ in the Richter scale is too coarse, the BFD is much better in that regard. Have box and I believe the manual. $100 (Price lowered)

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/Audiocontrol_1/

Pair of bare bodies for Altec 902s. Off a pair of Model 14s. No diaphragms, magent covers, back plate..etc. $25. Need about $200 (most of that is the diaphragms) in parts from Great Plains to get fully up and running again.

JBL 2404H single unit. In very good condition, looks like it was never used. $100.

(2) 41Hz Amp 3 boards assembled. This is for the boards themselves SMT soldered and the coils wound and installed. No chassis or PS. $50 each. (Price lowered)

http://41hz.com/main.aspx?pageID=105

Lexicon DC-1 DD/DTS model with v2.1 software with remote and PDFs of the manuals on CD. I have freshened up this one. This has a new style power supply from Lexicon installed in it as the original power supply in stock form has one somewhat typical failure point. The line stages for all 8 channels has had all the opamps swapped out for higher spec. parts. Great music and movies pre-pro. $700.

I have several more DC-1s I'm working on that will be available if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Shawn

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

Thanks, just sent you an e-mail about them.

Since I have had a few e-mails about it.... the ES600Ts are not for

K'Horns. From everything I have read the K'Horns bass bins can't get up

high enough in frequency to match these crossovers. These cross at

600hz with a very sharp crossover.

Thanks,

Shawn

BTW, for those looking for Altec drivers I have a pair of bodies (magnet assemblies) off a pair of Model 14s.

AFAIK these are basically 902s.... they are ferrite magnets and have the tangerine phase plugs like the 902s for example.

No diaphragms in them.

Because these were in Model 14s there is also no back cover/terminals or the rubber boot around the magnet itself.

Minimally to get up and running they need diaphragms. Great Plains Audio sells Altec diaphragms or there are aftermarket options too for less cost. If desired Great Plains Audio also sells back covers and the magnent cover boots.

$25 for the pair.

I also may have a single JBL 2404H if someone is looking for one.

Thanks,

Shawn

BTW, for those looking for Altec drivers I have a pair of bodies (magnet assemblies) off a pair of Model 14s.

AFAIK these are basically 902s.... they are ferrite magnets and have the tangerine phase plugs like the 902s for example.

No diaphragms in them.

Because these were in Model 14s there is also no back cover/terminals or the rubber boot around the magnet itself.

Minimally to get up and running they need diaphragms. Great Plains Audio sells Altec diaphragms or there are aftermarket options too for less cost. If desired Great Plains Audio also sells back covers and the magnent cover boots.

$25 for the pair.

I also may have a single JBL 2404H if someone is looking for one.

Thanks,

Shawn

i'd take them if i had the slightest idea how to get them working [:P]

Dave,

Don't know about the Valencia's. The high end crossover would likely be

fine since it can work with most anything. The lowpass though was

tailered around the electrical parameters of the K33. If whatever

woofer was in the Valencia's is close they might work but Al would be

the better one to ask about that.

Tofu,

If you like it you buy the parts from Great Plains ( diaphragms, covers

and screws) and have them shipped them to me I'll put them back

together and send the completed units to you.

Johhny,

OK, you got dibs on the tweeter.

Shawn

Tofu,

If you like it you buy the parts from Great Plains ( diaphragms, covers

and screws) and have them shipped them to me I'll put them back

together and send the completed units to you.

Johhny,

OK, you got dibs on the tweeter.

Shawn

shawn, that's quite an offer. how much do the parts go for? i don't see any prices listed on the site. if you want, i can paypal you the money for the drivers, labor, and parts.

so these basically are the same thing as the 902's?

thanks.

-chris

Chris,

I don't have exact prices from Great Plains but in the ballpark I think

the diaphragms are about $85 each for the small format diaphragms. (I

bought large format diaphragms from them for $100 each) The back plates

are probably $10-$20 each (a larger format back plate was $19 I think)

and the screws and such are likely a couple of bucks. The rubber cover

for the magnet is I think about $5. Guestimates on the cost but those

are likely in the ballpark with a total cost around $200-$225.

In the end this would end up costing more then the pair of 902s I

already sold but with this setup you would have *new* diaphragms which

is a plus. Great Plains also sells new drivers too so that is always an

option. I think they are around $200 a piece new.

It is a crap shot on ebay with regards to the condition of the

diaphragms in used drivers. All the 902s I bought had great diaphragms

in them. But the 288s I bought on ebay (from the same seller) had

diaphragms whoes resistance measured fine but audibly the diaphragms

were not at all what they should have been. I ended up having to buy

new ones to get the drivers working properly.

As far as I know the Model 14s used basically 902s or whatever was the

current small format driver at the time. Since they were inside the

cabinet Altec didn't bother to put back plates or magnet rubber covers

on them which is why I don't have them. I actually ended up with these

as I bought the horns out of a Model 14 on ebay and they happened to

come with the driver bodies still attached without diaphragms in them.

(Random rambling) The Model 14 horns are kind of interesting... they

are Mantaray (CD) horns with asymetrical dispersion. Horizontal

dispersion is even left to right but vertically their dispersion is

much 'taller' above the horns then below them and I grabbed them for a

possible future project.

Shawn

Dean,

I think the crossover is really expecting 6 ohms on the woofer.

Duke,

Thanks for the info. If they need to be crossed at 1200hz then the ES600 (600hz crossover) is not a good choice.

It would be interesting to hear the ESNs on a A7-500 though if the woofer was close enough to be compatible with the network.

Shawn