Academy Alert!

ShapeShifter

The Academy is a very rare breed of speaker. It was only made for 2 years, and it was made to match perfectly with the Cornwall II's, Chorus II's, Forte II's, and Quartet's. Lookswise......it is very similar to the KLF-C7, but it's tone and timbre match the above speakers better then the C7. The C7 was made to match the KLF-10's, 20's, and 30's.

Recent prices on ebay for the Academy have been between $550 and $625......quite a bit more then the $350 for the C7.

------------------

Home Theater Page

It's also very good timbre match for the Cornwall I's as well. Provides a seemless sound from right to left in the front array. Heresy my be better, if space is not a concern.

Surprised there have been no bid for this one yet?

t-man & DD2 - Haven't forgotten...just have not received any additional offers.

Regards,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

I watched the pass 5-6 of them on eBay, and "davidhaack" has won 3-4 or them. I don't know what he is going to do with them all but whatever it is it's going to sound great.

The one on eBay has a bid now, and it is from another person who has been bidding on them for a while now, but has yet to win one.

------------------

Home Theater Page

myram (hey, I finally get it..."My Ram" truck),

I spoke with him before the auction ended and his reserve was $420. I guess that's a pretty good price for one of these things but it's still more than I'm willing to pay. BTW, I'm picking up a pair of mint Chorus II's (to go with my Chorus I's) in Oiled Oak on Sunday for $500, so I'm hoping to find an Academy somewhere for about half that...

Mike

Mike - Thanks for the myram translation. I'm good with custom license plates, but these BB handles leave me in the dark.

That's great news about the CII's. A roomful of Chorus's will be a wonderful thing. I'm still waiting to try a roomful of 2 Chorus and 4 Fortes -- just need a few more hours in the day Frown.gif

DD2

Thanks, Doug...I'm pretty excited about it! As you know, I can't afford them but I think it's too good of a deal to pass up. Colin gave them a big thumbs up on looks and sound, and that's all I needed to hear. Will take some pictures of the setup after I get them hooked up...

Mike

Hey Mike.....

I would send the guy another email and offer him like $300. Since it didn't sell, he is probably looking to move it pretty quick. It's worth a try, you never know what he is going to say.

Congrats on the Chorus II's......I have always wanted a pair of Forte II's but had to settle for the Quartet's for now. I am always looking for a good deal on a pair of Forte II's in my area.....but have yet to find one. Or if someone with too many Forte II's wants to trade for a pair of Quartets.......my ears are open

cwm4.gif

------------------

Home Theater Page

I have Cornwall's and a KLF-C7 which as you know is suppose to match the cornwalls. I don't think it sounds a thing like the Cornwalls. Has anyone compaired the new RF-C7 as a center with Cornwall mains?

Jeff

------------------

Cornwalls Main fronts

KLF-C7 Center

IW-150 Rears

KSW-12 200watt Sub

Anthem AVM20 Preamp

5 Adcom 555s all mono BLK

Toshiba 9200 DVD

Sat. / Mit. VCR

-----------------------

Project room

Genelec Nearfield Monitors with Genalac Sub

Alisis 32 channel board

Joe Meek VC1Q Studio channel

Art Power Plant

Roland R8

Wave/24 24bit recording

Aphex Comperesors

And so on.

I agree with myram. Although the C-7 is an excellent speaker, it isn't the best match for Cornwalls. Will work until you can get a better match.

Mike, Congrats on all your buys! Matching front & rear Chorus II's. Yippeeeee! With the Ram, you can haul more Klipsch.<LOL>

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-18-2001 at 07:27 PM

Are ya'll saying the RF-c7 is not a match or the KLF-C7 is not a match. I agree that a Heresy would be great but what about video shielding?

Jeff

------------------

Cornwalls Main fronts

KLF-C7 Center

IW-150 Rears

KSW-12 200watt Sub

Anthem AVM20 Preamp

Toshiba 9200 DVD

Sat. / Mit. VCR

-----------------------

Project room

Alisis 32 channel board

Art Power Plant

Roland R8

Wave/24 24bit recording

Aphex Comperesors

And so on.

Wes,

What is the configuration differences between the Acadamy and KLF C7? What is it about the sound that you like better?

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------

Cornwalls Main fronts

KLF-C7 Center

IW-150 Rears

KSW-12 200watt Sub

Anthem AVM20 Preamp

Toshiba 9200 DVD

Sat. / Mit. VCR

-----------------------

Project room

Alisis 32 channel board

Art Power Plant

Roland R8

Wave/24 24bit recording

Aphex Comperesors

And so on.

It all has to do with the drivers in the speakers. The Academy was made in the early '90s, and it has drivers that match the tone and timbre of the speakers of that era.

The KLF-C7 was made as the matching center for the KLF-10, 20, and 30 series of tower speakers. It has the same drivers in it as the tower speakers do.

Now when it comes to older speakers like the Cornwalls, Heresy, LaScala, Belle, and K-horns......there is no special center channel made for them. That is the reason why it is best to use a single Heresy as a center for Cornwalls and Heresys. When it comes to LaScala, Belle, and K-horns....you can mix and match them to go with each other.

To use a Heresy as a center channel....you would have to get bucking magnets for it. That would protect your TV from damage of the magnets. Then again......it takes alot of room for a Heresy as a center channel.....but it will give you the best results.

------------------

Home Theater Page