Academy Alert!

ShapeShifter

Jeff,

Myram thoroughly covered the subject of speaker matching for the entire Heritage line.

So as best I can, I will try and explain my listening experience having used the KLF-C7 vs. my present Academy. As I said the C7 is an excellent speaker, but when I used it with my Cornwall fronts, I always knew it was there as a predominate speaker in the fronts. It just seemed separate and distinct from the left and right fronts. After adding the Academy, the center section of the front array just blended in, from right to left an even or seamless sound. It was as if the Academy settled in & did its job without you realizing it was there. Its seemless integration was due to its close tembre match that we stated previously. Well that's the best explanation I can give. Hope it is somewhat beneficial.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-19-2001 at 12:01 AM

That is exacally how to describe the expierence!!

My academy fits in very well, and you have to know that its used in 4 cornwall system setup!

So to challenge such a huge amount of sound, this academy is a remarkable center!

I could prabably set a belle in its place, but i wouldnt know where to set it!

I was thinking about a center heresy, untill i talked to wes, he has the same setup, 4 cornwall, academy center!

I am really greatfull, on the input, he gave on the academy, thanks to Wes, i owned one in a week, and i would of kicked myself in the a-- if i were to pass this up!

Of coarse i had to hotwire the academy, to fit it in my SE theater setup!

The academy, was in the mud, untill the hotwire was done!

Thats how much more sound, the Klipsch will produce with better wire, inside the speakers!

Regards Jim

I am currently using an RC3 as a center for my Cornwalls and brandy new to me Heresy surrounds. It does "ok". After seeing what the Academy goes for I think I am going out and get another set of Heresys. Then I can have a front and rear center. After that I will only need one other pair of Heresys and the Cornwalls can be a 2 channel music only system (hooked up to the Fisher tube amp I recently purchased). Sigh...does it ever end???

Bye,

------------------

...wake up to find out that we are the eyes of the world...

Visit my webpage to see equipment

I agree that the recent winning bids on Ebay for an Academy are unrealistic and outrageous. But Ebay's bidder prices are not entirely representative of what that speaker can be bought for from other sources on the net. With patience and perseverance, one can find these at reasonable prices. So because we praise how well it works with Cornwalls & other Heritage speakers, doesn't mean we're advocating individuals buy one at outrageously inflated prices.

I would happily use a C-7 or another favorite of mine is the KV2.2V, as opposed to paying an unreasonable price. I actually prefer the tone of the 2.2V over the C-7, because I like the more subtle sound of the 2.2V to the more pronounced sound of the C-7 as a center with my fronts. Doesn't mean I feel the KV2.2V is better, it's just that is my individual preference between the two, fwiw.

Just wanted to make sure that others don't think were recommending buy an Academy at any cost.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-19-2001 at 02:38 PM

Doesnt it seem as though the boys from Klipsch could fire up the production line to satisfy this demand for the Academy? Maybe not even offer it at the retail outlets but just on line or something. Or maybe produce a new product that is specifically targeted at Heritage owners. I dont know, it just seems like an awful lot of buzz when one of these goes on eBay.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by Danartdis:

Doesnt it seem as though the boys from Klipsch could fire up the production line to satisfy this demand for the Academy? Maybe not even offer it at the retail outlets but just on line or something. Or maybe produce a new product that is specifically targeted at Heritage owners. I dont know, it just seems like an awful lot of buzz when one of these goes on eBay.

Dan

Well, it seems rediculous that us Cornwall owners are left hanging out to dry. I mean.. c'mon.. make a center and rear center and surrounds for us. We'd buy them. Hell, I got the KLF-C7 and I was trying for an Academy on Ebay but man.. I went up to $325 and was still outbid.. That seems a bit high to me.

But what choice do we have? There's no way I'm putting 4 huge Cornwalls in my living room..2 are huge enough. And not even the Heresy's because they're too big and would need to be raised for rears.

Would be nice if Klipsch made a surround line to match older lines of speakers.

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Nakamichi 482 Cassette Deck; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD

I agree with Jim.......it took me a month or so of having wanted ads all over the internet. But in the end I got a perfect black Academy with manual and box for $200.....well worth the wait.

During that time I was waiting, I watched 2-3 Academy speakers sell for $550-$625 on ebay. And after I got mine for $200.....I ended up getting another one, within a week, for $225 for a buddy of mine who was looking for one, this one also included box, manual, and was oak. So if you take your time you will not have to pay alot of money for one, but it takes patience.

------------------

Home Theater Page

quote:

Originally posted by Danartdis:

Dan

Humm...limited production run...today dollars....my guess, a retail cost between $700-1000. What ya think?

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-20-2001 at 12:15 PM