Which Denon AVR (under $500) is for me?

JesseNYC

Hi,

I am finally ready to upgrade my 8+ year old Denon AVR-1400 receiver. It still looks and plays as well as it did when I first got it. In addition, I am also losing the Technics decoder. It's served me well too.

The speakers I currently have are as follows; Fronts/Klipsch RF-15 Center/Klipsch SC-1 Surrounds/ Klipsch SB-1, Sub/ Klipsch KSW10. All of this reside in my NYC living room that measures approx. 19x12.

I am reviewing the newer 1906 and 2106 models however I don't have a problem with getting an older, beefier model, i.e. 2001-2004 especially for the same price. My only requirement is that it is in perfect working condition.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jesse

HK has strong refurbished units for $500 w/warranty etc..You could also

pick up a used Denon 38xx for that same amount.This would get you alot

more bang for the buck and put you in the $1k quality.Check Audiogon

.com.good luck.

Hi,

I am finally ready to upgrade my 8+ year old Denon AVR-1400 receiver. It still looks and plays as well as it did when I first got it. In addition, I am also losing the Technics decoder. It's served me well too.

The speakers I currently have are as follows; Fronts/Klipsch RF-15 Center/Klipsch SC-1 Surrounds/ Klipsch SB-1, Sub/ Klipsch KSW10. All of this reside in my NYC living room that measures approx. 19x12.

I am reviewing the newer 1906 and 2106 models however I don't have a problem with getting an older, beefier model, i.e. 2001-2004 especially for the same price. My only requirement is that it is in perfect working condition.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jesse

I think your best bet is to go with the new 2106. It is 7.1 100 watt per channel with a brand new 32 bit FP DSP. There are several vendors selling it at reasonable price if you look for it on froogle web search.

A 2106 would be nice but a used 38XX would sound better. Just on the power side the quality of the parts will be better. Also with the higher power the bass should tighter and stronger. Plus the d/a's are of a higher quality, But it will be missing some of the new bells and whistles. But will you use them, most people don't. So it's up to you what are you looking for.

I just picked up an AVR 2106 for $420 (i got hooked up)

I absolutely love it! Im powering some energy c-3s at the moment. Its got plenty of power (conservite 100watts per channel and all the lastest features you would expect from denon included 6 channel analong input. The only major draw back is the lack of hdmi, but if you can live w/o it, the 2106 has greate value considering the next step up with the 1400 dollar 3806 or if you wait a while, the $1100 2807. The only thing I hate about is the xm radio.. I was entirely disappointed with the quality of XM. It flat out sucks. It has even lower quality than regular radio that comes in clear.

I have my eye on that one because of the XM as well.

Thanks

Forget it, like i said, xm BLOWS! I just returned my antenna yesterady and canceled the account. I had high expectations. For a car, xm is one thing, but when you're at home you cn just as eaily connect the denon to a PC and get streaming radio. This is what i do, and its FAR better quality, more selection, and its free unles you count your isp bill.

A 2106 would be nice but a used 38XX would sound

better. Just on the power side the quality of the parts will be better.

Also with the higher power the bass should tighter and stronger.

Better bass? A subwoofer is fed from the pre-amp, not the power amp.

A 2106 would be nice but a used 38XX would sound better. Just on the power side the quality of the parts will be better. Also with the higher power the bass should tighter and stronger.

Better bass? A subwoofer is fed from the pre-amp, not the power amp.

Only if your talking about a 'powered-sub' (which I agree, is the only type of sub worth considering) and then, only those freq sent to the sub

if your talking about 'mid-bass' (80 Hz+) from his mains, then he may well have a valid point . . .

I just picked up an AVR 2106 for $420 (i got hooked up)

I

absolutely love it! Im powering some energy c-3s at the moment. Its

got plenty of power (conservite 100watts per channel and all the

lastest features you would expect from denon included 6 channel analong

input. The only major draw back is the lack of hdmi, but if you can

live w/o it, the 2106 has greate value considering the next step up

with the 1400 dollar 3806 or if you wait a while, the $1100 2807. The

only thing I hate about is the xm radio.. I was entirely disappointed

with the quality of XM. It flat out sucks. It has even lower quality

than regular radio that comes in clear.

Sounds like a good avr that will do the job for you.If you believe it

is a"conservative 100 watts" though......I owned a 3802/03/05 and while

fine avrs they would never get close to 100 watts all channels driven.

What makes the XM suck? I have the Delphi Roady in my car and I always bring it into my apartment to listen to music. I got the $25 home kit upgrade that includes an antenna, base unit and remote control. I plug it into my AVR using a Monster cable connector (the same one for I use when connecting my iPod) and it sounds fantastic. Good 3 bar reception and my antenna is a good 12 feet from the window. Now in Manhattan, there's supposed to be a ground based antenna somewhere that treats the XM signals like AM/FM ( no line of sight needed to the geosynched birds, Rock & Roll), perhaps this is why it sounds so good. I am now wondering if that would not be an issue for me. The XM ready feature is a nice perk for price. I won't now have to keep bringing in the unit from the car or buy that Polk unit. The specs on my current Denon says 65W per channel. This what I've been used to for so many and I like the sound it produces. So I guess somewhere between 85-100 would just be that much better PLUS I lose the SS processor, get upgraded Dolby and other newer technologies.

Sound good? :)

Mid to lower bass will be tighter and better defined. I'm not talking about subs at all. You only get the 40 to 80 hz from a sub but you get your dynamics form your main speakers. The higher power will control the woofer better for a more defined sound from the lows. I've owed a few Denon's in the last 20 years and they all sound good but the more you soend the better the sound. When I sold my AVP 8000 pre pro and went to a 2803. I was very disapointed in the sound till I hooked up my set of Carver M500T power amps. And when I moved to a Sunfire 400 x 7 Power amp, My mid to low bass was even better. The 2106 will sound good but will not hold up to a 38xx. You get what you pay for, so I think a used 3803 or newer will sound better than a new 2106.

After more reading and listening to hardware, I came across, AND PURCHASED, a non-Denon unit. I got the Pioneer VSX-1015. There was a wierd deal going on at BestBuy (I hate this chain) and I couldn't pass it up. Reportedly 120W per plus THX for $400. I also had a $50 gift certificate from a friend that I used bringing my cost to $350.

It's a monster too. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

You can't pass up a deal. That is how I ended up with the Sunfire. It was on my short list with B&K and a few others they all sounded good with my Cornwalls. But when Soundtrack closed at my house I was their on the last day and got it for $1500 and it list for $3500 so I could'nt pass that up. Tell us what you think about it after you have some time with with it. Now have some fun.