Thinking about selling my La Scala's in favor of Khorns... thoughts on value of them?

Mike Lindsey

Now that I am single again, and getting an opportunity to listen to music once more, I am seriously considering selling my La Scala's in favor of some Khorns. I have owned these for 4 years and love them dearly. They were purchased from ebay, and were lovingly brought back to life by Q-Man and his unbelievable woodworking skills.

I have been out of touch with all things audio for a long time, and haven't spent any time on this board in over 3 years. I am curious what you all think these speakers are worth, and what I might be able to get for them. Some particulars:

1986 LS - BL (Birch Lacquer)

SN - 8640051/8640052

AL Networks (I have ALKs in them but would like to transfer them to the new Khorns)

They have been refinshed in a beautiful Golden Oak and have 3 coats of Lacquer on them. Q-Man is a cabinet maker by trade, and spared no expense in refinishing and restoring these. All of the front ply edges have been replaced with birch banding. As good as the pictures look, they look even better in person.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please let me know your thoughts on them. I am aware that Khorns will probably run somewhere between $2500 - $3500 depending on condition, and would like to get as much as possible for these to offset most of the cost.

Not shown in the pictures are some 1/4" bronze glass tops that were cut to order and fit perfectly on top of the speakers, and allow me to put plants and whatnot on top of them. These were an additional $200 and would go with the speakers.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Sounds like a good idea. When I got LaScalas, I thought they'd be the last speakers I ever bought. Then lucked into a really good deal on Khorns and have thoroughly enjoyed them. What is so amazing about Khorns, is to my mind, they should sound THAT much better than LaScalas. Of course, I am easily amazed.

Good luck with your project.

Your pictures did not post.

How come I can see them? Did I do something wrong?

I selected Insert Image and uploaded them from my hard drive. I also hosted them on a website, but do not know how to show them from there. I just modified to display from the web. Hopefully, you can see them now.

Mike

I'm just seeing red "X" for the images.

I usually insert images using the insert image on the top of the posting screen AND insert the same image again using the File Attachment box on the bottom of the posting screen.

It takes both of these in order to be seen with some browsers.

That may or may not be the problem with these particular pics, though.

Why on Earth do you want to sell these? They are absolutely beautiful.

If you are looking for K Horns, I have a beautiful set of K Horns in factory tigerwood finish for sale for $2500. Send me your email address and I can forward several photos. They are really special and really nice (one is in my Avitar). If you already have ALK's, I can drop the price a little as I was planning on supplying a new set of Type A crossovers.

Chris

Mike, probably not that high for LS, but yours a very nice. My guess is w/Dean on this, unless you show them to someone who loves them and doesn't keep up with the used market on Klipsch. Good luck.

BTW: I am really surprised nobody has bought those tigerwood KHorns yet. If I didn't already have my KHorns, I would have bought them a long time ago - after we haggled just a little. [;)]

Mike, I too had LaScala's for a while. I took some in relatively poor condition and brought them back to life. It took quite some time with the sanding and staining since there is a lot of surface to cover. I listened to them for 2 years and thought I would never sell my "babies". I found some Khorn beaters in Naples and went to work on them. Set them in place of the Las and never looked back. Sold the Las to a friend so I can still visit when feeling nostalgic. Get the Khorns. You won't regret it.

Well... it looks like the consensus is around $1350 or so. If that's all I can get for them I might as well keep them, and use them for the rears. Looks like I'll have to start saving some money then if I really want some Khorns. :)

Mike, send me some pics of your refinished Khorns if you have them (before and after). My email is luvmy92@earthlink.net.

Mike

Khorns are definitely the cat's meow, but I would try to hang on to those La Scalas if I were you. With all the work that has gone into them, and as nice as they do look, you'll probably regret selling them after they are gone. If you can use them as rear surrounds, that would be ideal.

Well... it looks like the consensus is around $1350 or so. If that's all I can get for them I might as well keep them, and use them for the rears. Looks like I'll have to start saving some money then if I really want some Khorns. :)

Mike, send me some pics of your refinished Khorns if you have them (before and after). My email is luvmy92@earthlink.net.

Mike

Hi Mike, nice to see you back on the forum. Sorry you went through the divorce thing. Been there, and I know how tough a time that can be. Mine was a "good divorce" if there is such a thing, and it was still heartbreaking in a few different ways, especially if kids are involved.

I myself think $1350 is too low for those. I was thinking around $1750 myself, but then again, I am not in the market for them. They are just so clean, I would think that there is someone around who would appreciate their perfection. You could always put them on Ebay or Audiogon with a higher price and see if anybody nibbles.

As for surrounds, I think they'd make a killer pair. I'm in that mode right now, i.e., I'm trying to decide what surrounds to use for my family room:

Left & Right Mains = Klipschorns

Center = Belle

Sides: Cornwalls ?? Would have to sit on the floor, though, and probably angled inwards.

Rears: KPT-1201's? Rear wall mounted.

I was emailing with Soundbroker and he suggested four KPT-1201's across the rear but the seating only sets off the back wall by 3'. Would the 1201's give enough sound dispersion?

I was considering a quad of the new Reference dipoles but he said the timbre match was wrong. Do you folks here really think that putting Reference dipoles on the side and rear surrounds would really be THAT bad of a thing???

Khorns are definitely the cat's meow, but I would try to hang on to those La Scalas if I were you. With all the work that has gone into them, and as nice as they do look, you'll probably regret selling them after they are gone. If you can use them as rear surrounds, that would be ideal.

No doubt! Was talking to Q-Man as well the other day, and mentioned I really didn't want to sell them, but don't have anything else of this value to help put towards the Khorns. So therefore, will probably try and find some in rough shape in and around Florida, and then try and restore them to look like the La Scala's in the Golden Oak.

Will let you know how the searching goes.

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike, nice to see you back on the forum. Sorry you went through the divorce thing. Been there, and I know how tough a time that can be. Mine was a "good divorce" if there is such a thing, and it was still heartbreaking in a few different ways, especially if kids are involved.

I myself think $1350 is too low for those. I was thinking around $1750 myself, but then again, I am not in the market for them. They are just so clean, I would think that there is someone around who would appreciate their perfection. You could always put them on Ebay or Audiogon with a higher price and see if anybody nibbles.

Thanks Chris! I see you have moved to a little warmer climate as well. If I recall you are a golfer as well, and am sure you're in golfers paradise down there. [:)]

Deb and I weren't married, we just lived together for 4 years. We are still friends and it ended amicably, but it still hurts.

As for the La Scala's, I appreciate your input and agree with you. They are beautiful, and might be worth that to the right buyer, but I think I'm going to try and find a cheaper pair of Khorns that need to be cosmetically restored, and keep these as the rear surrounds.

I hope you're able to find the right ones for your room. Let us know how it turns out.

Mike