Is this thing really worth $13,000.00?

jacksonbart

If you can afford it, it's worth it.

If you can't afford it, you ask the question that you're asking.

Klipsch out.

There are many things I can afford, but I don't think are worth my money to spend to purchase them. For me anyway worth of an item is not defined as simply having the money on hand to purchase it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a cartridge and stylus for cry'in out loud -- when was the last time you actually thought about how much $13,000 is?

Sometimes I say "maybe".:)

Dean,

Your statement is a typical example of someone who can't afford it. I can't afford it either, but there are plenty of those who can. Someone once wisely said...............................................

If you have to ask how much it cost, .... YOU CAN"T AFFORD IT!

That does not meant it's not worth it to someone who can. $13,000 is a slow afternoon of shopping to some individuals. Wake up folks.

Klipsch out.

But just because it has a big price tag or looks pretty doesn't mean it is a better performer...

People with that kind of money buy things like this simply because it's

the most expenisive - not because it sounds better. Go give these uber

expensive systems a listen....I'd put my computer driven piece of crap

sherwood reciever with Chorus II's way above some of those systems.

Heck, I should just repackage everything so that it looks prettier and

put an $80k price tag on it. [+o(]

But just because it has a big price tag or looks pretty doesn't mean it is a better performer...

People with that kind of money buy things like this simply because it's the most expenisive - not because it sounds better. Go give these uber expensive systems a listen....I'd put my computer driven piece of crap sherwood reciever with Chorus II's way above some of those systems. Heck, I should just repackage everything so that it looks prettier and put an $80k price tag on it. [+o(]

I don't know...I was thinking it better sound good, cause it sure ain't pretty.

There are a whole lot of people who have 15k like I have $15.00. I guess it is ok for those kinds of folks.

Exactly. I would imagine that almost everyone who has plunked down $13K for one of these thought it was worth it. I will admit that I would have to be seriously rich to pay that kind of cash for a cartridge, though!

My two Cents...

Even if I had the money where $13,000 was no big deal to spend, I'd find other things in life to spend my money. Hell I think I'd give it to someone who needs it before splurging on something so esoteric (..and I'm not even a far left liberal). There may or may not be audible improvements on a $13,000 cartridge vs say a $600 one, but so what. I love audio and great sound but not so much as to throw money away on that last .00001% improvement. To each his own though.

I think you also have to consider the "Mine is bigger than Yours" factor. I have two aquaintances (They work with my wife and I have been to social functions at their homes) who both have 6 figures $$$ in their systems and oneupsmanship is a Big part of it at that level! One even admitted to me that after $15 to $20K he stopped hearing any Real difference! He is just obsessed with the "latest and greatest" available!

How do we define worth here? To whom?

As Christos (an ocasional poster on this forum and President of the Audiophile Club of Athens) has this very cartridge (and I heard it on Saturday night) he is the only one that can answer the question (but I do not know what he actually paid for it - I would be surprised if it was full retail).

As it is this is a cartridge that is supposed to be the very best of the very best (whether you agree or not is purely personal opinion).

If the aim of the system owner is to have the best possible system out there - regardless of cost - and this cartridge is the one that does it for them - then why not?

It is like asking if a Maclaren F1 is worth the money when for 10% of the cost you can get a Ferrari with 95% of the performance. At a certain level even the most incremental improvement is worth it for someone - in any area (cars, boats, stereos, home cinema, cameras....).

How do we define worth here? To whom?

As Christos (an ocasional poster on this forum and President of the Audiophile Club of Athens) has this very cartridge (and I heard it on Saturday night) he is the only one that can answer the question (but I do not know what he actually paid for it - I would be surprised if it was full retail).

As it is this is a cartridge that is supposed to be the very best of the very best (whether you agree or not is purely personal opinion).

If the aim of the system owner is to have the best possible system out there - regardless of cost - and this cartridge is the one that does it for them - then why not?

It is like asking if a Maclaren F1 is worth the money when for 10% of the cost you can get a Ferrari with 95% of the performance. At a certain level even the most incremental improvement is worth it for someone - in any area (cars, boats, stereos, home cinema, cameras....).

Well....how did it sound?