Where do you buy CDs/Vinyl/SACDs?

joshnich

Oh yes

I have a local guy with thousands of records. I have purchased hundreds from him. Mostly classical and jazz. I do find however that I like new records, and for the most part, I like re-issue rather than NOS or used. To my ear they sound better than the original release. So Im interested in other sources for new records.

Josh

Do not pass GO! Go directly to Berkeley.

Klipsch out.

In the mid 70's Berekely was the grestest place to find nice old vinyl I have ever seen. I started collecting jazz records then by flipping through the bins at Rasputin's, Rather Ripped and others--I cringe when I think about the records I passed on at that time--I mean, who on EARTH would want an old Jutta Hipp record, right? Where's that time machine again?

It's still a great place to flip through vinyl--I make the effort to hit Telegraph every time I'm back by the Bay.

Yes I do spend a fair bit of time in Berkeley carousing the bins at Rasputins, Amoeba and others. There is also a good shop on Claremont off College Avenue where the proprietor seems to know a fair bit about Jazz that I frequent on occasion as well. Most of the offerings there are used records. I happen to like the new re-issues ( something about new vinyl ) and most do not stock those in large numbers.

Josh

I've bought many at thrift stores for a buck or less. Most of my classic rock collection came that way.

For jazz, I've used ebay and bought some from Allan (who always gives me more then fair deals BTW), but the best and largest score was when an older gentleman approached me at a thrift shop and offered to sell me his jazz LPs at 80 cents each. I went to his house and scoured through about a thousand LPs and ended up buying about 300. Included in that 300 were original Miles Davis recordings from the 50s and early 60s, Cannonball Adderly LPs, with his late 50s quintet(?) that included Coltrane and others and an original copy of The Elmo Hope Sextet's "Informal Jazz" with Coltrane, Mobley and Byrd that was later reissued as "The Two Tenors." There were also about 20 original MJQs and many, many others. Definitely my best score.

As far as Classical, the thrift shops are just bursting with NM Classical LPs. I've picked up quite a few.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have been much more selective. When I first got back into vinyl after many years without, I sort of went nuts and bought just about anything that looked to be in good shape. I've either given away or sold (for what I paid or less), hundreds of those thrift shop LPs to forum members and given many back to the very shops where they were originally purchased.

Oh yeah, there's the Sinatra guy who approached me in another thrift shop but most of you already know that story.

BTW - I do buy Classic reissues from both Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc. Both are good sources for new LPs. If anyone knows where to get Classic Reissues at less then $30 each (both AS and ED have the same pricing), PLEASE let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had very good experiences with Acoustic Sounds. Great customer service. Good follow up and good communication. In my opinion they have been the best on line resource. Any other recommendations? Josh

Josh,

As I sit here enjoying an extended morning vinyl session on a day off, I don't know how I forgot to include this source for many Jazz CD's and reissued vinyl.

www.truebluemusic.com

I recently received their latest email notifcation of many LP's from the Fantasy family of labels they have available as inventory from the manufacturer at a price of $8.98. If you are interested, I can forward you a copy.

Klipsch out.

Funny you should mention TrueBlue (Mosaic).

Wednesday afternoon I ordered 3 LPs for $8.98 each after they emailed me their catalog. 2 Art Pepper LPs and 1 Gene Ammons LP. They arrived Thursday morning. About 16 hours from CT to MD. Not bad.

Like Jazman said, TrueBlueMusic has a pretty decent selection of LPs on sale for $8.98 right now. Those 3 cost me about $31 including the $5 shipping charge.

Gary,

I'm waiting on a backorder of "The Big Sound" by Gene Ammons, to accompany "Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane" and "San Francisco Suite", by Freddie Redd. As you stated, fresh vinyl for $31, which includes shipping. Oh yeah!

Klipsch out.

Edmond,

The Big Sound was one that arrived yesterday (great minds think alike!). I haven't played it yet though. The other two were Art Pepper's, No Limit and Living Legend. Can't get enough Pepper!

Can't get enough Pepper!

You got THAT right!!!

Still, after nearly 30 years since I first heard Art Pepper live I can say he was THE greatest performer I have ever seen. Noboby ever gave more.

And the best show ever was New Year's Eve 1979 at Donte's in North Hollywood. Three long sets and Art was joined by Warne Marsh during the final set--the only time I ever saw another horn on the stage when Art Pepper was playing,

Gary, eventually you'll own ALL of Art Pepper's records!

Can't get enough Pepper!

You got THAT right!!!

Still, after nearly 30 years since I first heard Art Pepper live I can say he was THE greatest performer I have ever seen. Noboby ever gave more.

And the best show ever was New Year's Eve 1979 at Donte's in North Hollywood. Three long sets and Art was joined by Warne Marsh during the final set--the only time I ever saw another horn on the stage when Art Pepper was playing,

Gary, eventually you'll own ALL of Art Pepper's records!

You're probably right Allan. He's only topped by Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith and possibly Coltrane as far as number of LPs in my jazz collection.

Allan,

Holy Smokes Sensei! Do you know the buyer? You've mentioned before that there's only a handful of Blue Note fanatics like yourself that drive these crazy prices. I'm guessing, that to my tin ears, my $30 Classic Records 200 gram re-issue would sound as good or better. But, once again, that's my taste. Which isn't saying much.

I'm gonna spin this one as soon as I get home. Haven't heard it in awhile, been on a Ben Webster kick this week.

Chris