Forte II with single ended or push pull integrated tube amps ?

johnjhazel

I am probably opening a can of worms here but I want to buy an integrated tube amp. The speakers that will be used with the amp are 1996 Klipsch Forte II's. I have only heard one single ended integrated tube amp at a high end stereo store. It was a Cary. To me, the music sounded 'smeared'. I called an independent dealer here in Phoenix and he disagreed with my 'smeared sound' comment but advised against going single ended 'on the cheap' and said that the Forte II's would not be a good match for a single ended integrated tube amp. But, he did not give me any reasons. I would like opinions on single ended vs. push pull integrated amps paired with the Forte II's. My musical tastes run the gamut and sometimes I like to crank it to the point where I can feel the drums. I hope that helps. Thank you !!!!!

Well I won't argue the smeared description. But will say the independant dealer has no clue about Klipsch speakers for sure. If high effecient horns are not a good match for single ended then nothing is [;)] (which happens to be my opinion)[6] I think I'll go run and hide now........

Craig

I never liked Cary products, don't shoot me, I just never have.

But 'smeared' is so darn far from what SET is that there must have been some other reason for your initial impression.

Don't go cheap; the cost of quality output transformers makes most kits and all finished products quite expensive. Rule of thumb, it should have an output transformer about the size of your head [:)]

OTOH, there are many fine PP integrated amps out there. Just won't have the 'magic' of SET, but maybe that isn't your cup of tea.

IMHO (golly I use a lot of acronyms) the match between speakers and amplification is crucial to good sound. No clear-cut guidelines on what works with what, though. Trial and error and willingness to buy used and sell your mistakes is the best way to find out what works.

hi,

I have a pair of Forte I's paired with a Cary SLI-80 kt-88 pp

amp. It's a very satisfying combination, particularly in the

triode mode. The system can seduce you with its warmth and charm,

or overwhelm you with its power and dynamics, take your pick, it

can do both.

I have a pair of Wright Mono 3.5s paired with 1979 Cornwalls . I have

never used them with the Fortes, but I would guess the sound

would be much alike. The SETs are much different.

Less bass impact for sure. More midrange and treble transparency for

sure. A more delicate sound and in some ways with some types of

music, more lifelike.

Larry

Well I won't argue the smeared description. But will say the independant dealer has no clue about Klipsch speakers for sure. If high effecient horns are not a good match for single ended then nothing is [;)] (which happens to be my opinion)[6] I think I'll go run and hide now........

Craig

Phone conversations with dealers are not the best source of information.

A contreversial topic with much history on this site.

"...and sometimes I like to crank it to the point where I can feel the drums. I hope that helps."

Yeah, that helps - don't buy a SET amp.

Dean,

What type of source and amplification are you using with your KHorns?

John,

My Forte2's sound like crap with my new ASL1003dt push pull amp. But sound awsome with my B&K.

I'm surprised you can hear anything Keith -- I thought you shipped your networks to me a month ago. I guess they must be lost.[:P]

My source is a Sony 9000ES. My linestage is a Juicy Music JM-200, and my amp is the small TEAC digital amp.

I'm surprised you can hear anything Keith -- I thought you shipped your networks to me a month ago. I guess they must be lost.[:P]

My source is a Sony 9000ES. My linestage is a Juicy Music JM-200, and my amp is the small TEAC digital amp.

Dean, I am very surprised you answered. I thought you were ignoring me which is why I never sent you my FORTE network. Would you PM me instructions and your shipping address?

kind regards, Keith

Oh, very freaking funny -- you did get the box didn't you? Please say yes.

Keith -- I sent you an email on Jan 2 with the removal and shipping instructions. I'll resend.

Johnny -- I'm ready to do it, we just need to find time to hookup, uh, I mean get together.:)

I have a pair of 1996 Forte IIs mated with a Scott 299A Mk II integrated tube amp that was refurbished by NOSValves. I have about $600 in this amp and I think it sounds great. I could spend more, but no reason to. I listen to all types of music and it all sounds great. You can snag one on eBay and get it rebuilt or tweaked if necessary. I also used a Jolida 202B for awhile and was awesome as well--these can be had new for reasonable $$..

Good luck!

• Like 1