Ready To Puke

garymd

over another crossover review?

Got my DeanG Super B Cornwall crossovers today and installed them when I got home from work. First time the insides of my corns have seen light since 1980 when I blew both tweeters about a month after I bought them. One thing that I didn't remember was one tweeter had standard clear-coated speaker wire as opposed to the white coated internal wire on everything else. That must have been how Klipsch sent one of my replacement tweeters (sorry to stray off topic).

At first I thought the sound was a bit darker. It was certainly less bright. The more I listened however, the more I realized just how much improvement I was hearing. I always thought my corns were a tad on the bright side combined with the 299b. NOW, not only is the slightly bright edge gone, but I'm hearing way more detail (which I thought was impossible). So, less harsh/bright, more detail, smoother overall presentation. Excellent work by Dean as usual.

I apologize for boring everyone with another crossover review but what choice did I have? That's what we do here, right?[:D]

Gary,

Nice review. I skipped the review on my Super AAs for the same reason. It's nice to know that corns respond like the other big Heritage to these new network designs.

I haven't ventured to upgrade to a new design on my corns yet, I can't stop listening to my LaScalas truthfully. They took a huge leap forward with the network changeout.

Want to sell you Khorns now ?[;)]

I thought that would be a catchy title.[;)]

The Khorns still rule folks. I must admit however that the corns have their own unique sound and I really enjoy them as I have for almost 26 years now. They also make great fronts for my HT.

I noticed that SACDs had the least improvement with the new networks which is why I was not as impressed at first. I started by playing my best SACDs. It wasn't until I began playing the redbooks and a few MFSL's (non-SACD) that I realized just how amazing the improvement was. Dave Brubeck/Jerry Mulligan Live MFSL CD just blew me away as did a few redbooks using my old cheapo Technics CD player. Even the bass is tighter and MUCH deeper (not that it needed to be!).

It's amazing how well the old networks hold up in a sealed enclosure. They looked brand spankin' new when I pulled them out. Even the plywood board they were mounted on hadn't darkened a bit with age. The old networks in my Khorns looked horrid in comparison just from being exposed to indoor elements all those years.

Deans work is definitley clean. I have not tried his crossovers (YET), but I will say that I too noticed a very pleasurable improvement when I switched out my stock type B's with the ALK's. The sound improvement was so good, I quickly scarfed up 2 more pairs of Al's original type B replacement.

Crossover upgrades should be ranked near the top, for the most bang for the buck improvement in audio.