Cornwalls On Ebay - Help Please!

garymd

These are in driving distance for my friend who's been looking for a pair.

Other than the cosmetic flaws, can anyone help me out with this squaker? These are '83s and I'm not sure they're the originals. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-CORNWALL-SPEAKERS-CWO-LARGE-MONSTERS-EXCELL_W0QQitemZ5858752227QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gary I had a pair of Heresies with "X" in the serial number. They had what I thought was a different squawker...but I came to find out it was stock. Don't H/CW/B/LS/KH all have the same tweeter/midrange with different horns depending on the model? My guess would be that these are factory mids for that year/model...but then I am no conrwall expert. Where is CP1 when you need him?

Here is a pic of the mid driver from my old pair.

post-16462-1381928097703_thumb.jpg

The "R" on the K-52-K indicates it is a replacement. I think it would have been originally a K-52-H. I think the K-33 has also been replaced since a 1983 model should have been a square magnet type.

Bob Crites

1983 & 1984 were transitionary years for the Cornwall, the K-52K would be correct (original OEM), the other drivers are the K-77M tweeter and K-33E woofer. They utilize the B-3 crossover network.

Klipsch may have gone to the K-57K in the 1984 or 1985 models just prior to the transition to the 1986 Cornwall II that had the K-79K, K-57K, and K-34E drivers and a totally different crossover network. It appears that it has the metal K-600 horn as well, I think Klipsch went to the K-601 shortly before the release of the Cornwall II with the bolt on driver vs. the screw on type.

The "R" (refurbished or remanufactured) however indicates that the midrange driver was replaced at some point. The K-52K is a 1.5" driver but more than likely is smoother and extends higher than the K-55V. Bob the "H" was for Heresy if I am not mistaken, look at the photo Rplace posted that is a Heresy horn that the K-52H driver is on.

If you look closely it looks like the woofer lead was replaced at some point as well since it is not the standard Klipsch white zip cord.

Thanks everyone. Your responses were extremely helpful. Now it's up to him whether or not to pursue.

Regarding the zip cord, I replaced both of my tweeters a month after purchasing them new in 1980. It wasn't until last night when I was installing my new networks that I noticed one of my replacement tweeters also used zipcord. Klipsch must have sent it back to me that way. They soldered different types of connectors to the ends also. They're the eyelet type so I had to take the screws completely off of the board to connect the tweeter. I'm pretty sure they sent it that way since I was in college at the time and had never soldered anything in my life.

Purple "R" = replacement (both on the tweeters and midrange)

The K-52-K would have been correct for a 1983, however the one pictured is dated mid 1988.

Looks like the bid is already too high for a pair of Cornwall that have had all 6 drivers replaced and cabinets in this condition.

I would hold out for a pair of mid-1977 to mid-1982 in better condition for the price of these.

EDIT: This post had no replies when I wrote this reply, by the time I checked my notes, and had several interruptions, I see that your question was answered.