Break in period for Reference speakers

SemperFi91

• Moderators

Straight from our Product Development manager for Reference....

He suggests 4-5 hours. There is an audible difference as these speaker play over this time. It's a little longer for larger models, such as the RF-7.

Straight from our Product Development manager for Reference....

He suggests 4-5 hours. There is an audible difference as these speaker play over this time. It's a little longer for larger models, such as the RF-7.

what does the engineers say?

• Moderators

Well, I'm just as inclined to take the word of our very experienced and knowledgable product developer (not sales or marketing), who's been working with Reference products forever, but I will try to get another answer from an engineer...

The RF-7s take about a week of normal play to smooth out. If you don't believe in this, then you're not paying attention. The advantage though is that you can stop fiddling with your system -- and can take up golf, fishing, or some other boring activity.

Well, I'm just as inclined to take the word of our very experienced and knowledgable product developer (not sales or marketing), who's been working with Reference products forever, but I will try to get another answer from an engineer...

It is not that I do not take it...but was looking for an engineers perspective....

the curious engineer in me wants to know...hehehe

• Moderators

Ok, here's your engineering response:

The suspension in any dynamic driver will change slightly with use. And it probably is fair to say that all drivers do go through a break-in period. We break-in all sample drivers for 20 minutes (at 20 Hz and ½ peak displacement) before we take any measurements. We find that sample drivers are more consistent after the driver has been worked-in a little bit. When youre trying to qualify the design parameters of a particular driver design, this is very important. I really cant say whether or not you can actually hear this difference, but you can certainly measure the difference. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

How long it takes to break-in a loudspeaker is a difficult question. Certain speaker parameters (mainly resonance) gradually adjust themselves toward their final value with use. How long this takes depends on the stiffness of the suspension, and the type of input signal and level that you drive the loudspeaker with. Obviously, if you dont exercise the suspension hard enough, youre probably not going to break it in very well. If the case of woofers, if the drivers cones are being displaced by ¼ or so, then I would care to guess that proper break-in will be realized over a relatively short time (a few hours of use).

The suspension in any dynamic driver will change slightly with use. And it probably is fair to say that all drivers do go through a break-in period. We break-in all sample drivers for 20 minutes (at 20 Hz and ½ peak displacement) before we take any measurements. We find that sample drivers are more consistent after the driver has been worked-in a little bit. When youre trying to qualify the design parameters of a particular driver design, this is very important. I really cant say whether or not you can actually hear this difference, but you can certainly measure the difference.

How long it takes to break-in a loudspeaker is a difficult question. Certain speaker parameters (mainly resonance) gradually adjust themselves toward their final value with use. How long this takes depends on the stiffness of the suspension, and the type of input signal and level that you drive the loudspeaker with. Obviously, if you dont exercise the suspension hard enough, youre probably not going to break it in very well. If the case of woofers, if the drivers cones are being displaced by ¼ or so, then I would care to guess that proper break-in will be realized over a relatively short time (a few hours of use).

ya ....

give 'er Diesel ......[:)]

The suspension in any dynamic driver will change slightly with use. And it probably is fair to say that all drivers do go through a break-in period. We break-in all sample drivers for 20 minutes (at 20 Hz and ½ peak displacement) before we take any measurements. We find that sample drivers are more consistent after the driver has been worked-in a little bit. When youre trying to qualify the design parameters of a particular driver design, this is very important. I really cant say whether or not you can actually hear this difference, but you can certainly measure the difference. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you Amy

And thank the engineer as well....

It is nice to get technical once in a while...hehehe