Poll: WHAT SOUND DO YOU PREFER...TUBE OR SS

Gilbert

Although I voted "I've listened to both extensively, and prefer tubes", it doesn't mean I like just tubes and dislike SS completely. I like ALL formats and topologies...whatever sounds best to my ears is fine with me, no matter what it is!

I'm not a "hater", I'm a "lover"...[:P]

I can't vote in this you ask the wrong question. IMO quality amplification is quality amplification. There are no tube DSP's and a well-constructed SS amp like a good Mac or Crown certainly can hold their own with anything I have heard. That being said I think in lower/middle end i.e. < $5 to 6 K for an amp preamp package tubes seem to have a smoother easier to listen to sound. But I am in the it would depend on the application camp. I like both, and own both, they each have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Maybe a better way to ask the question would be, "in the same price range............"

I voted for tubes of course. I owned SS for over twenty years with my Cornwalls and loved the sound. The tube amp I bought for approximately the same $$$ gave me more satisfaction. I just wish I had discovered tubes long ago.

Try doing this poll outside the 2-channel forum... [;)]

That idea was considered, but because my choices are limited, and because the subject has to do with musical listening preferences,..... I felt this to be the appropriate area of the klipsch forum.

As for my prefernces, it should be obvious from my signature. But thats not to say I'm negatively bias towards SS. On the contrary, I have 2 setups of each, with quite a bit more spent on the SS setup.

Anyway, I am sincerely curious about the Music Listening preferences of the members on the klipsch forum. Please note the SUBJECT title, it's Tube or SS,... NOT Tube versus SS.

DrWho is correct. Outside the 2 channel forum you'll find that the vast majority of folks prefer SS. It's just a fact of life.

That's because they don't know about tubes.

Larry

lol, or maybe tube guys don't know about good SS either... [;)]

The reason I say take the poll outside the 2-channel forum is because you aren't taking a fair survey. It's like going to the streets of chicago at 10am and polling people on the street whether or not they are employed....of course they aren't! If they were they would be at their job, lol. All the tube guys are hanging out around here while all the other SS guys are busy at work listening to music and enjoying it [:D]

The reason I say take the poll outside the 2-channel forum is because you aren't taking a fair survey. It's like going to the streets of chicago at 10am and polling people on the street whether or not they are employed....of course they aren't!

Larry,... Doc. Go to your rooms and keep quite. I would really like this thing to stay civil.

Doc., before you go, and if you were being sincere.....Where do you think is the appropriate place on this forum?

Personally, I was unaware that all 2 channel setups were tube systems; As your comments would suggest.

I was being sincere and poking fun a bit...I probably would have conducted the poll in this forum too - cuz all the HT freaks are all crazy about the latest SS reciever [;)]

but ya, most of the guys in this section are vinyl tube lovers - as you can see by the pole [;)]

Although I voted "I've listened to both extensively, and prefer tubes", it doesn't mean I like just tubes and dislike SS completely. I like ALL formats and topologies...whatever sounds best to my ears is fine with me, no matter what it is!

I'm not a "hater", I'm a "lover"...[:P]

I agree with Jim

I am utilizing the best of both designs and am very happy with the sound!

SS for the low freq.

SET for everything above 500hz.

See my profile...

I enjoy good sound be it SS or TUBE

Note:I switched to Tubes 2yrs ago after 20+yrs of SS(mostly Bryston SS)but have since purchased 2 Bryston PRO amps to configure my current system,and have alot of work to do in the tweek dept.(mostly room).This system is ...WOW!!!! right now and not even close to 100% LOL is it ever!

Greg