Poll: WHAT SOUND DO YOU PREFER...TUBE OR SS

Gilbert

Depends on price:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

$35 Sonic Impact 5066 class T digital amplifier

Less than $100, vintage harmon kardon twin-powered 430 receiver

More than $100, Teac class T digital amplifier

About $500, Red Wine Clari T digital amplifier

More than $500, refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers (by far the best value, because of their musical qualities)

More than $750, refurbished vintage tube pre-amplifier with $500 BottleHead 2A3 Paramour monoblocks (kit)

More than $1K, Merlin pre-amplifier, with BottleHead 2A3 Paramour monoblocks (kit)

More than $2K, above, with deep subwoofer

More than $4K, above, with ALK trachorns and his bi-ampable crossovers and Red Wine Clari T digital amplifier (or at least that is the current plan as of this date)

More than $10K, ALK trachorns and his bi-ampable crossovers and Red Wine Clari T digital amplifier and Delta Studio 6s33 SE integrated tube amplifier

More than $14K, above, but with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />NelsonPass majestic $4K (used) X250 Stereo solid-state Amplifier instead of Red Wine Clari T digital amplifier (certainly needless overkill)

[:P]

JB, that is funny as hell. I was just in Macon two weekends ago. Couldn't wait to be back on the road.

I think there's interest but not much left to say. Here's my take:

I love my 2-channel rack up in the apartment: JF Lessard pre- and amp (tubes) with parafeed configuration and cobalt OPT's, channeled through ALK'ed vertical Cornwalls, tubed Njoe Tjoeb's CDP. Tough to beat it but the 3W comes at a steep sticker (> $1000/watt).

I love SS in a X.1 configuration. I love McIntosh amps in SS. I have a Sunfire 7x200 that I have yet to put into service but it's very similar to the Mc's.

My family room will have the JF Lessard tube gear to switch between the Klipschorns in 2-channel and the Sunfire to in 7-channel. It's really apples and oranges. I love both but for different reasons.

Soft jazz, late at night, JW in hand on the rocks, lights out, tubes a glow. SET does it in 2-channel.

Sunday afternoon, John Mayer in 7.1 with the db's running at 95 or so, SS multi-channel. Sub kicking up a storm.

Different tools are required for different jobs. It is best to call ahead to see what is required for the day's work [:P]

Z4!

Relatively speaking, there appears to be plenty of interest.

But my personal reason for bumping this thread 3 big whole times (pheeew, hope your not exausted) is curiousity. I'm curious to know what forum members prefer when it comes to listening to music. Hense the description of selection of choices, and the repeated BUMPS. Give's more people time to view the topic....personally, I seldom go back and visit several day-old post or topics, which is why I bumped it to the top.

Last time, I promise.

"I prefer good sounding tubes to bad sounding SS.

I prefer good sounding SS to bad sounding tubes.

I prefer good sound to bad sound.

Coolness factor? That's another story."

Same here. Well said.

Coolness factor: I prefer good sound in a functional, well-shielded box to bad sound regardless of what it's in. If good sound happens to live in a mansion of machined solid aluminum instead of a simple stamped chassis, that's fine too. I would just rather avoid the extra cost of something that has nothing to do with the performance of the product.

Erik

I couldn't vote as I do not fit into any of the boxes. I like to have tubes somewhere in the chain and in the pre-amp works best for me. For the power amp I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't much matter. If your amp is a good match for your pre and your speakers it is a good match - regardless of topology.

For reference I had a fairly powerful tube amp and switched to a fairly powerful SS amp. Made less difference to the sound than adding legs to the speakers, or adjusting the VTA a notch or even switching interconnect cables.

For reference I had a fairly powerful tube amp and switched to a fairly powerful SS amp. Made less difference to the sound than adding legs to the speakers, or adjusting the VTA a notch or even switching interconnect cables.

WHAT!!!

There sure was a choice for you maxy....They Both Sound The Same.

I use a tube preamp for 2 channel music with ss amps , all solid state for home theater. I think tubes handle the high frequencies better (clearer more defined w/o metallic sound of some ss - especially important with Heritage speakers) with ss providing the powerfull punch needed for bass.