Virgin trip with a pair of Fortes

tvking1

Hi All,

I'm new here to the site and in need of some advise. My wife's newly divorced best friend recently went to Best Buy looking for a new stereo (to replace both her old stereo and her ex-husband). Well, as you can probably guess, the salesman must have smelled an new calf in the coral because by the time they got through with her, she had spent $1500.00+ on a horrible Kenwood surround sound sytem with all the uneeded wiring, etc. and she's not very happy to say the least. She listens mostly to current blues and 70's rock and has a fantastic collection. Now, I have the chance to pick up a pair of Fortes locally for what seems to be a great price ($300.00) and want to pair them with a Pioneer SX-1250 (I am working on somewhat of a budget). Any thoughts or suggestions on if this system will work for her? I've read reviews saying that the Fortes are harsh and placement is everything. She just wants a nice sounding system with no muss or fuss. Thanks for your help.

Ray

Fantastic vintage Pioneer receiver and some of the best overall balanced speakers that Klipsch ever produced, I don't know how you could possibly go wrong with that setup. The Forte' is a fabulous sounding speaker and at $300/pr a relative steal. I have seen them go considerably higher on eBay.

I would say go for it, it will definately perform far ahead of the Best Buy garbage she purchased for sure.

Man! That was cold. Screaming VIRGIN like that is not a nice thing to do, gets guys like me all excited and stiff necked. Much to early in the morning for that.

But, Oh Well, now that I'm here. GO GET THOSE $300 FORTE'S BOY BEFORE YOU LOOSE OUT ON A STEAL OF A DEAL!

Wow, you guys are great. I may even get a fried chicken dinner out of the job. I'm going to "consumate" this little deal and demo the system with some Steely Dan,etc. I'm currently running a Pioneer SX-1980 at my house, so I'll try them on that just to test the wife's nerves before delivering them. There is one thing: size may be a consideration with this gal (pun intended). Would four Heresy's get the job done as well?

Many Thanks,

Ray

IMO the Forte's are better all around speakers than the Heresy's. You would want a sub with the Hersey because although they have nice clean bass, they do not go as low as the Forte's. I have listened to my Forte's with a Pioneer SX1000tw and did like it very much. I feel the HK730 is a little punchier and can be had for >$100 on the "bay". Very nice system she is getting. At $300 for the Forte's, that is a very good deal.

Does this future user want a surround sound system for watching movies as well as music? If you consider that the correct center channel for the Forte is an Academy. They are hard to come by and command a premium price (for good reason). You mention Heresy; 5 Heresies and a sub woofer would be a killer home theater setup as well as a top notch 2 channel rig. Space would be less then the Fortes.

No matter what you decide for her, get those Fortes for $300 before somebody else does.

Good Luck.

For optimal sound and imaging, the speaker's midrange and tweeter

should be at about ear level when the listener is seated; Fortes

on the floor are at the right height, while Heresys would have to be on

some sort of speaker stands, thus making their "footprint" or volume

about the same as a Forte. Unless there are shelves or an entertainment

center involved, Heresys would not really save you much space, if

any. Many consider Fortes to have the best sound

quality/cost ratio of any speaker ever made.

Have her take that Kenwood stuff back for a refund.

She's going to pass on any kind of surround sound-just run the DVD stereo into the receiver. And unfortunately, it's too late to return that crappy Kenwood system. I'll probably just put it on the 'bay and try to help her cut her losses. This system will go into a sunroom/den that is about 20 x 18 so I do have enough room to space them away from the wall a little bit. What do you guys think- a foot or a foot and a half? I'll try the rig and see how it sounds- if she doesn't like them, then I'll just put them with the other two I'm picking up and run four Fortes off of that SX-1980. If I find myself divorced in the near future, don't pity me- it sounds like it was intentional...

Ray

I have always had good luck with my Fortes (in 3 different houses) having them 12-18 inches from the back wall and 8-12 inches from the side walls. Next toe them in a bit so they are angling toward the prime listening position (not having sides and back parallel to respective walls).

There is no way she will NOT like them. I don't care what the room size shape or what is powering them. Everything is just varying degrees of good-ness with fortes. I have yet to hear a bad set up with them.

'to replace both her old stereo and her ex-husband)" Wasn't aware BB also sold husbands - what WON'T they sell to make a buck!

Can't return the Kenwood? How recent is "recently?" Don't they have at least 30 days, or did she trash all the packaging and so forth. Even so, it may be better to return it and get a store credit (and even pay a restocking charge) than to dump it on Ebay.

I'm sure they'd be happy to trade the Kenwood for $1500 worth of Monster cables.

All seriousness aside, Forte's (in decent to good or great shape) at $300 are a steal.

tvk,

Do a google search on Klipsch Fortes. They are an excellent purchase for 300! Space them 12" from the wall either straight ahead or slightly toed in! Your 1980 receiver will make you and your wifes friend drool with the clarity! Get those Fortes! ...........

Also have her talk to the Manager of BB and if she has the boxes and paperwork, see if she could

exchange them for store credit! Maybe she could trade them in on a Good Plasma TV!