Receiver for my speakers: Narrowed down

thecoffeeguy

After a lot of time surfing the net, reading reviews, scanning forums, I have narrowed down my A/V receiver to the following:

-Pioneer VSX-1015TX

-Harman Kardon (few models) - AVR240, AVR435, AVR635, AVR335/340

-Panasonic XR55/70 (digital amplifier)

I don't think I can go wrong with any of the above. However, the perfectionist in me is running at full throttle right now.

All have received good reviews, but im hoping to get some feedback on the models listed above, in combination with which one(s) would work best with my speakers and fit what im looking for.

-Clear sound. Crisp. Very nice. No distortion. Good bass, but not BOOMING to where it overhwelms.

My speakers:

(4)Klipsch RC2650C 6.5"

(1)Klipsch RC-8 Subwoofer

(1)Klipsch RC-10 Center Channel

Also, someone said that with the Pioneer, if you get a bigger TV, there might be a little 'lipsync' action, where it will be delayed. My TV will be 50" at the biggest.

I put the panasonic on there because, even though priced considerably lower, it is getting rave reviews.

Harman Kardon seem to get very high marks for sound quality.

Pioneer is a receiver that gets the nod as well.

Anyone have any feedback on the following?

I appreciate it.

T.C.G.

I don't know where you've heard that Pioneer recievers delay with a big screen, but It's not right. As far as I know pioneers don't do that. If I were you I would go with the Pioneer VSX-1015TX because it is an awsome 7.1 channel reciever with 120-watt per channel. The harmon kardon AVR635 is twice the cost as the pioneer and it only has 75-watts per channel. Plus, the pioneer VSX-1015TX has a bigger range of sound and nearly the same distortion as the harmon kardon. Don't even get me started on the panasonic.

I think that you would be very pleased with the pioneer VSX-1015TX.

271311401VSX1015TX-K_rear_cutout.jpg

Thanks guys for the input. I've narrowed it down to these:

-Pioneer VSX-1015TX

-Harman Kardon AVR240

-Harman Kardon AVR 335

-Harman Kardon AVR 340 (which I think is a upgrade from the 335? Correct me if im wrong)

I know the wattage on the HK's are rated lower, but from what i've read, its a lot of pure, clean power and it should not be judged by the watts. Everything i've read on the HK's is gleaming with sound quality.

I don't think I can go wrong with either one. I do wish there was a way for me to try them all out. :)

I guess my biggest question with the receivers above is, would they give good power to my speakers and drive them accordingly? Which in turn would supply me with rich, clean, crisp sound? Would I see much difference in any of the above with my speakers? Or would they all sound pretty similar?

Anyone have experience with HK's?

thecoffeeguy

If you haven't yet auditioned any of these with your speakers, be sure to check the return policy of wherever you buy from. After you hear them, you may find they don't mesh well with your speakers and may want to change to other brands. I'm not saying they won't - I've never heard any of these. Just making a suggestion...

.I have a 630 and its quite a unit,very powerful and clean without high

range hash,very flexable.You don't get this sound from every avr,I

prefer the 630 to the Denon 3802/03/05 all of which I owned and were no more powerful.

.I have a 630 and its quite a unit,very powerful and clean without high

range hash,very flexable.You don't get this sound from every avr,I

prefer the 630 to the Denon 3802/03/05 all of which I owned and were no more powerful.

Is the 630 a older unit? I can't find it on their website?

All I see is:

I'm looking at the: 240, 340, 435. I think the 635 is a little out of my price range.

I'm just incredibly picky and want to make sure which ever receiver I buy, it will drive my speakers with nice, crisp, clean power and fill my HT with incredibly quality sound.

I'm just incredibly picky and want to make sure which ever receiver I buy, it will drive my speakers with nice, crisp, clean power and fill my HT with incredibly quality sound.

If your that picky, than get separates and blow away those receivers. Before you say you can't afford it look around. Chris Robinson just posted about a Sunfire 5x400w amp that sold for $1295 on eBay. That amp would make you crap your pants. Good deals can be found on used separates.

Jeremy

Yes the 630 was the model before the 635,the 435 is very nice also.If

you really are picky about sound the HK's are the only units under $1k

new I'd consider(other than Outlaw's avr),all IMO.If its about features

the Pioneers,Denons etc..all have great features.I would buy a used

quality unit rather than a new run of the mill,$500 gives a few good

choices but you still won't beat the HK's unless you get over 1k

new,again imo.You really should audition any you can because only you

know what sounds good to you.

Yes the 630 was the model before the 635,the 435 is very nice also.If

you really are picky about sound the HK's are the only units under $1k

new I'd consider(other than Outlaw's avr),all IMO.If its about features

the Pioneers,Denons etc..all have great features.I would buy a used

quality unit rather than a new run of the mill,$500 gives a few good

choices but you still won't beat the HK's unless you get over 1k

new,again imo.You really should audition any you can because only you

know what sounds good to you.

Thanks Fish. I appreciate it.

Just a quick follow up: I see the HK 240 has 50watts per channel. Would the suffice to push my reference series speakers? Or should I upgrade one notch to the 340?

Lets say I did get the 240...and in the future, wanted a bit more power. Can you purchase an amp and plug it into the HK AVR?

Thanks!

H/K's are notorious for putting out more actual wattage than claimed wattage. Most manufacturers cannot make that claim. If your receiver has pre-outs, you can add an outboard amp later.

Just looked at HK's sight for the 240 and it shows on the back of the unit, that it has "Preamp Outputs", so I am assuming I could plug one in later?

I think I might go this route. I've heard nothing but stellar reviews on HK units and people in this forum have pretty much backed it up.

I don't need a multizone receiver right now, that is another reason.

Currently will be running 5.1, and possibly 7.1 in the future.

The only thing I might upgrade in the near future is my center channel.

Trying to save cash if I can, because I need a new DVD player.

Lastly, reviews on sound for the HK are all glowing, so that's a plus.

I am trying to find a place locally where I can listen to this. Circuit City has them, but not sure if I can listen to them there.

Ya, circuit city has them, but there setup is HORRIBLE! If you can get a sales person or the manager to setup the HK's that would be the way to go. I also would like to add like everybody else has said, If you want to buy any equipment you need to audition them first. If you can get an hands on perspective you can really tell if it's the one or not.

Thats my recommendation.