RF7s or RF5s...

SilverSport

Could those that have heard both or have one or the other please compare and contrast these speakers for me...I have heard RF7s and they were very nice...I have K'Horns and Heresys right now so that is my frame of reference [;)]...but I have not heard RF-5s and have seen some here post that they actually PREFER The RF5s to the 7s...they would be used for HT and some 2 channel mostly Rock, Pop, Jazz, Classical...most everything...

Price notwithstanding...but is a factor...

Thanks for your thoughts...can't get much out of the search function these days.

Bill

The RF7's are a great speaker - but I definitely prefer the RF5s. I found the 7s to have an issue with the upper midrange. I think of them as being "voiced" as a rock/home theater type speaker - To MY EARS, while the RF5s seems more balanced for all types of music AND to be great for Home theater as well.

I came from 20 years of heritage - tweaked Cornwalls / Hereseys. When I went to current Reference my objective was to NOT lose and hopefully gain in terms of sonic quality......I met that objective and then some.

I'm in the camp that feels the Reference series would make PWK proud to carry the Klipsch name. With improvements in raw materials (cones,drivers,etc) changes in design are a natural progression from MY point of view. I left Heritage and have no regrets.

For what it's worth, I bought a pair of RF7's a few weeks ago, and I haven't noticed any midrange deficiencies at all. And I have played all different kinds of music on them (rock, jazz, classical, etc.). As others have said on various posts, the RF7's can be very "in your face" with midrange and high frequencies, so you might want to listen to the RF5, RF7, and the new Reference Series before making a decision. I have not heard the RF5 or the new Ref Ser, but i'm sure they sound great too. Let your ears be the judge and buy what sounds best to you.

Jason

The RF-5's are great speakers, they are very impressive for their size, however, some may claim to like the overall performance of the RF-5's, I find most have more a liking to the RF-7's performance, when setup right for RF-7's to give it's bestest. If the RF-7's are setup with the right equipment and atleast given a min. of 200watts per channel, as many suggest here (including myself), the RF-7's give an absolutely stunnning unforgettable performance. It's the only Klipsch speaker to have me go from the Klipschorn's to the RF-7's and truely feel it was

an upgrade with no regrets at all! The RF-5's do not come to this performance level with same setup, but indeed do sound very satisfying

but not to the degree of the stunning performance of the RF-7's that has a Wow-factor I've never heard before with imaging, dimensions,

singer center postion that sounds very realistic in and performance areas where there is no question to go with the RF-7's for myself,

You also will not get the same bass out of the RF-5's as you do with the RF-7's if that is an important aspect for your likes. If you do not like more in-your-face performance, as the RF-7's are, then you may want to take it down a bit to the RF-5.

jpm, I started with Heritage, and ended up with Reference and still much perfer the RF-7 to those, Just purchased a 1990 Cornwall-II and 2005 Klipschorn from a business man that moved to Norway, setup and listen to them for a couple of months, I knew I could make more

than I offered him for them for which was the motive to get them, still the performance that the RF-7's give me is still unmatched for this setup. Some guys just simply put, like the Heritage sound in general, for which it sounds could be your likings. It's very important for the RF-7's to be setup right before you will even understand what these great speakers can truly do, and you will have to forget bargin equipment to get there, but the rewards are truely bliss. Just about any Klipsch speaker will give you lots of enjoyment though!

For what it's worth, I bought a pair of RF7's a few weeks ago, and I haven't noticed any midrange deficiencies at all. And I have played all different kinds of music on them (rock, jazz, classical, etc.). As others have said on various posts, the RF7's can be very "in your face" with midrange and high frequencies, so you might want to listen to the RF5, RF7, and the new Reference Series before making a decision. I have not heard the RF5 or the new Ref Ser, but i'm sure they sound great too. Let your ears be the judge and buy what sounds best to you.

Jason

The midrange deficiency I refer to is subtle - NOT overwhelming and most noticable by direct comparison of 5 to 7. Both are GREAT speakers - best to listen and decide what works best for you- although I think the 7's are best in a larger room with ample power.

The RF-5's are great speakers, they are very impressive for their size, however, some may claim to like the overall performance of the RF-5's, I find most have more a liking to the RF-7's performance, when setup right for RF-7's to give it's bestest. If the RF-7's are setup with the right equipment and atleast given a min. of 200watts per channel, as many suggest here (including myself), the RF-7's give an absolutely stunning unforgettable performance. It's the only Klipsch speaker to have me go from the Klipschorn's to the RF-7's and truly feel it was

an upgrade with no regrets at all! The RF-5's do not come to this performance level with same setup, but indeed do sound very satisfying

but not to the degree of the stunning performance of the RF-7's that has a Wow-factor I've never heard before with imaging, dimensions,

singer center position that sounds very realistic in and performance areas where there is no question to go with the RF-7's for myself,

You also will not get the same bass out of the RF-5's as you do with the RF-7's if that is an important aspect for your likes. If you do not like more in-your-face performance, as the RF-7's are, then you may want to take it down a bit to the RF-5.

I agree with what you say about proper setup - that would be true of all speaker systems. I also think that most do prefer the RF7 - in some cases because of musical / listening preferences - in other cases because "bigger must be better". However, there are physical limitations that occur in larger cones in regards to upper midrange and as great as the RF7 is, it does exhibit an issue that points to the limits imposed by the 10" (or greater) cone speaker in regards to upper midrange.

As far was wow factor...treat the room, set up the system properly, etc and the RF5's present a depth of soundstage, imaging, focus and accuracy across the bandwidth that is nothing short of stunning. Bass is certainly less, (not by very much) but not at all offensive or lacking..... Given the RF83's use of 8" drivers, etc. I look forward to previewing an even greater Reference flagship than previous generations.

BTW - for what it's worth - I believe you could get more of the "In your Face performance" - if you tweak the RF5 by changing the tweeter driver to the larger driver used in the RF7 - this is basically what an RC7 is with obvious changes to xover and a smaller cabinet. You could also play with the xover point if desired.

Don't be fooled, the physical limitations you speak of is of no importance, other than listening to false theories in relation to these cones, as they have been very well designed and strengths way beyond most cones, thanks to it's materials used.

I originally started out with the RF-5's and then to RF-7's and it took things to the next level. If you have a smaller room, you will be better suited with the RF-5. RF-7's sound best about 12ft. or more from the speakers because of the LARGE sound from them. The upper midrange has been excellent in my system and I'm very pleased, could be you just like the crossover point in the RF-5's better. Going from RF-5's to RF-7's, pleased me well with gains, "bigger must be better" is not the case for I, the proof was/is in the pudding.

I'm sure you could tweak the RF-5's as you say to get more towards RF-7's but by time you do all that, you will start getting into RF-7's price and could just skip it and get the RF-7's, or upgrade the RF-5's to the RF-7's threw your dealer as I did back when.

• Like 1

Don't be fooled, the physical limitations you speak of is of no importance, other than listening to false theories in relation to these cones, as they have been very well designed and strengths way beyond most cones, thanks to it's materials used.

I originally started out with the RF-5's and then to RF-7's and it took things to the next level. ...........

I'm not fooled by the physical limitations, but I do understand it. I also understand how to compensate for it in speaker cabinet design and/or networks. I have been involved with speaker cabinet design and manufacturing for 30+ years as part of my profession.

The wonderful thing about speaker designs is that there are many great designs that work. ALL of them make some sort of compromise to acheive the design objective. Ultimately, what works is what YOUR EARS find pleasing.

After owning the RF5s for two years, I went back to audition the RF7s with the intent of purchasing them. Being friends with the dealer, we took the time to adjust the room,speaker placement, etc. After four hours of very critical review, I found the RF7 just did not offer any sonic incentive for me to want to purchase them- I had the money - I had a great price (1600 - new in box) and I enjoyed the sound. I still found the RF5 better balanced for MY ears. I am, however MOST interested in the RF83's as I do think they will offer sonics that I may find even more pleasing than the RF5. If they do, I will buy them.

Using your own judgement is best in the end. Enjoy your RF7s

Well that is why it's to each his or her own, what you like best is all that matters, yep.
I prefer the RF7's for my ears and now own two pairs. You probably will like the RF83's as folks that have demo
them are already saying they are more tame down than the RF7's, some folks like that and some don't like
that at all, end the end it be's all up to you, you are paying for them!

For myself, I'm sticking to my RF7's, that's why I got a second pair, lov'em for the awesome
sound ya know, but hey..... that doesn't mean I don't like the RF5, darn good Klipsch speaker too, just this
dude prefers the RF7's ya know, but I like the sonic sound of it, i like the RF5 sound too, just like the difference
in sound on RF7 for these Klips ears. Enjoys your RF5's, you will be happy with them,
or enjoy those new RF83's if you get a pair, sure ya gonna love it too, Klipsch always does good with all their
speakers ya know, you just picks your choice so to speak, wink....wink...

I just think some dudes here think you sound like your putting the RF7's down in favor like the RF5's are better
and they just don't see it the way you do, or should I says.....hear it the way you do. Enjoy the sound, Klipsch is
great, gotta love'em!!! There is no perfect speaker but sure like how Klipsch speakers make me feel like it is than
other speakers! Heck, give me a pair of RF5's and I would enjoy them in my bedroom for both sounds.