Looking for good used receiver for $500

Mike Lindsey

I have a friend who has a pair of Epic CF-2's and is looking to get into HT now.

He has a $500 budget for a 5.1 (or 7.1) receiver. It's been a while since I have looked at any of this stuff (I have a 4 year old Denon 4800) and I know nothing about what's out there.

Used is not a problem. Does anyone have any ideas here on what can be had for this price that will give the best bang for the buck?

In addition, he is going to need a center channel. Any ideas there? Figure about a $200 budget there.

Thanks,

Mike

Also I may get rid of my older center. It is a KSP-C6. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest I would say cabinet condition is an 7-8 where as performance and driver condition is a 10. Specs can be forund below. I bought it in 99 or 2000 at the time I think it was about 450.00. Not sure what exactly I would ask for it but somewhere around 250 plus shipping.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
63Hz-20kHz±3dB

POWER HANDLING:
150 watts maximum continuous (600 watts peak)

SENSITIVITY:
94dB @ 1watt/1meter

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
8 ohms

TWEETER:
K-97-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:
6" square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn

WOOFER:
Two K-1057-KV 6.5" (16.51cm) IMG cones

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

ENCLOSURE TYPE:
Sealed

DIMENSIONS:
8.125" (20.6cm) x 23.5" (59.7cm) x 8.625" (21.9cm)

WEIGHT:
25 lbs. (11.4kg)

FINISHES:
Black vinyl

I saw this thread that had the Denon AVR-3805 for $579:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/684105/ShowPost.aspx

IMO that would be a KILLER deal. I heard that Tweeter has a few NIB models left and I bet if you approached them right you could get close to that price from a brick and mortar store with a 2 year warranty (don't buy the Tweeter extended warranty).

Thanks everybody for all of your suggestions. We were originally looking at 3801's and 3802's, and felt this was probably the best bang for the buck, but I do not think we will beat Chris's offer on the 4800. Also, since I already have one of these I shouldn't have any problems helping him get it setup.

Doug - Appreciate the info on the KV-4. We will start looking for one immediately.

Chris - You have email.

Thanks again,

Mike

Chris, if Mike does not take that Denon AVR-4800 I'll take it I want it to replace the Denon AVR-3300 in my bedroom. Please let me know.

uBid has a variety of new Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha receivers that were recently discontinued for great prices. I picked my little girl up an Onkyo TX-SR502 for like $149 and it works great!

My friend has committed to buying the 4800 from Chris.

Now we need a KV-4 center... let us know if you have one for sale. [:D]

From the looks of it these are not easy to come by either. I would think a KLF-C7 would sound pretty good as well (next best thing?), but those aren't cheap either.

Mike

Looks like we have a deal. I need to move a few things out while I rehab (read: "wreck") the kitchen and family room. I'm not trying to make money on the deal, just find some well loved components an appreciative home.

The Denon line is always a nice match with Heritage components. It's been one of the few lines that I've heard that is "warm in the right places" ... never harsh.

Chris