Need advise from Klipsch fans

Jim Cornell

I have a K-33-E woofer here that im not allowed to sell! (wife) LOL

I would like to build a subwoofer with it, im thinking of using a powered amp, AMP to build this!

Do i have to build a speaker the same size as the cornwalls, or can i make a smaller one!

And if i do this, i will need a Type B crossover, if anyone has one for sale!

Also, i have the 2 K-77-M tweeters here, ill re diaphram and maybe install these to!

Mike, i guess you didnt get the La scalas after all!

If i get some ideas on a box, ill build it this weekend!

Im open for sugestions,

If i have to use the same dimentions, ill go taller not wide, like the cornwall. A sub tower is the idea!

Thank you

Jim

Jim,

These are the values for the K-33-E:

SPEC 15162

PART # K-33

RE OHMS 3.39

LE MH .96

QM 7.39

QE .410

QT .390

XMAX MM 8.20

BL TM 11.88

EFF % 2.91

FS HZ 34.46

MMS GMS 78.59

CMS mm/N .2714

RMS NS/M 2.3037

VAS LTRS 301.66

SD SCM 889.59

EBP 84.4

SPL dB 96.6

Wattage 150rms

Download a copy of Winisd

http://www.linearteam.dk/index.html

(speaker design software), or other software and put in the parameters. Choose the box type (vented, sealed), and see what size it needs to be. If you are making a sub, you won't need anything but the woofer. I'm not saying it will sound good or do what you want, but it could be a start. BTW, Decware has some interesting plans for subs also, but they wouldn't match your speaker.

Marvel

Sounds like an interesting adventure.

You might want to check out http://www.diysubwoofers.org

and do a internet search on "subwoofer DIY". There are a lot of plans out there.

I give a thumbs up to the Decware designs. I built a Decware WO32 and power it with a Marantz MA700 monoblock amp. It sounds wonderful. But I think Marvel is right that the K-33 doesn't really fit any of the Decware designs.

Not to discourage you, but the K-33 has a pretty high Fs for a subwoofer. You might be a lot happier with something else.

You won't need the Type B crossover or tweeters for a subwoofer. But, unless it is being driven off the LFE output from a HT receiver, you will need a low pass filter of some type and possibly some way to combine signals from multiple channels. If the amp you use is one of those designed for a subwoofer, you are probably good to go. All the required circuitry is usually built in. If not, the filter can be as simple as a capacitor across the input to the subwoofer's power amp or as complex an op amp design as you would like to build. Or the low pass filter can be after the power amp, in the subwoofer itself. Downside is the components are fairly large and expensive.

Good luck and enjoy!

A K33 is flat(in room)to 18.6hz in this design: Sealed rear chamber=9.2cu ft, vented front chamber=2.5cu ft, vent=8" dia by 14.75" long, F3(anechoic)=25hz~100hz, SPL=95dB, suggested dimensions (all inside measurements) :45"H X 16.5"W X 28.5"D This is the height and depth of a typical big screen TV and because of the narrow width does not look too bad.

Let me get this straight ...your wife won't let you sell a woofer? My wife would say "What is that old thing and why are you saving it and could you put it in the garage? And if I told her it was a speaker she would say "Don't you have enough odf those already"?

This message has been edited by soundog on 10-24-2001 at 02:08 PM

I did it, this weekend!

2 rockford fosgate subs in one box, i got 2 subs for 130.00!

These are 8 Ohm speakers, and its nice to have a sub, i can just beat on!

I have this hooked up to my pyramid amp, on the sub output!

Seems to shake the home quite well!

This works out pretty good, and keeps up with the 4 cornwalls, good to!

I figured, if they can have these systems in a car, shaking buildings, ill try it as a sub!

They are 10 inch, the Klipsch 10 inch wasnt this good!

Regards Jim

Jim,

Great job! Have you done any SPL checks yet? Man, four Cornwalls & those subs must really rock the homestead!<LOL> btw, I've got the Amp 1(40wpc) connected to my front Cornwalls and a Dynaco Series II (35wpc) connected to my front Heresy's. Each produces some nice sounds up front. Tubes and SS are working well together! Got the Dynaco from Frank Peraino, he writes reviews for an audio magazine called Ultimate Audio, nice guy and he gets his audio equipment at cost. Plan to keep a close association with him, the equipment he has is echelons above reality, at lest for me. He's interested in coming over to listen to the Cornwalls and my other Klipsch. Could be another positive review in the making for Klipsch speakers. Heck, maybe he'll be converted to a horny.<LOL>

Glad to hear you were successful with the subs.

Regards,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Wes

Glad to hear you got the amp, sounds fun!

You mentioned cornwalls, and heresys, OK what did you do LOL!

I know you still have the other pair of cornwalls LOL!

This fosgate sub i put together, will do fine untill i can get the SVS, down the road!

I saw the SVS sub in a H/T setup, and i liked the tower look!

I relaxed the cornwalls on bottom end, for home theater, that was the whole idea, on the fosgates!

For 10 inch, they take a lot, 8ohm 100 watt woofers!

This is neat looking, i have the carpet, black box, with the clear cover on it!

Standing on end, its a little bit bigger than half the cornwall!

And NO, im still a pure Klipsch fan!

At least rockford fosgate is made in Arizona!

Ive been not here as much, im working a job i hate, and am looking for another job!

So, i just pop in from time to time!

Congrats on the amp, and also to the others who have added more Klipsch!

Regards Jim

Jim,

Yea, still have both pair of Cornwalls. I actually got two tube amps, one for my front Cornwalls and another for my front Heresy's. I'm now powering both sets of fronts with tubes, an Anthem Amp 1 for the Heresy's and a Dynaco Series II for the 85 Cornwalls. I enjoy having the 84 Heresy's and 85 Cornwalls both as fronts. Like the extended mid/high range the Heresy's add to the Cornwalls up front. It's a joy running both fronts in 2 channel mode with the tubes and also having all 9 running in 5 channel stereo is great too.

The rear 71 Cornwalls and Academy Center are powered by the Outlaw 750 and the RS-3 surrounds are powered by the receiver. Once I receive the ALK Crossovers and install in the 71 verticals, I may move them to the front and put the their B Crossovers in the 85's, then make them my rears. Hopefully next year can get a good separate Pre/Pro 6.1 or 7.1 and then call it quits. Well maybe another tube amp for rear Cornwalls, if another good and inexpensive one comes along? Job wise I'm pleased, been a DOD Civilian just shy of 30 years, will be eligible for retirement in another 6 years.

I think as long as we're all having fun and not taking ourselves too seriously, because it's all about the joy and pleasure we get from listening too and tinkering with our Klipsch speakers. They're the bond that binds us all!! I do miss not seeing posts from the BB's veterans though? Guess I better get busy here, got to finish those home improvement projects that I've neglected the past few months. Going to update my photos here when I find the time.

Warmest regards,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-31-2001 at 09:24 PM

Last night i bridged the 2 channel amp, and holly cow what a subwoofer this turned out to be!

I finally found a sub, i can hear!

I think ill keep this one till it rots. or blows, it has foam surrounds, so it will rot out in 10 years LOL!

The setup you have now Wes sounds extrordinary, wow id like to hear that!

In the time being, i think im forced to be done for a couple years!

Ill keep what i have, and pop in the BB, here and there!

Regards Jim