Re-Veneer Heritage

Jeff Matthews

My friend just got Corns he wants to re-veneer. He had a few questions, and I know you guys can provide a wealth of information.

Here goes.... Post pics of your pride in workmanship on re-veneering. Also, please describe what type of veneer you used, where you got it, and any other pertinent information. I hear there's a stick-on type where heated glue is not needed and another type where the glue is needed, so does the stick-on type work good?

Thanks.

I've been waiting for the search engine to come up as I want to see pics of various re-do projects also. I'm hopeing it'll be anyday now? :( When I used the 'cheat' search that they recently took down - lots of nice pics!

I'm starting to get it in my head that veneering isn't too hard.

Jeff - you should play with your decorator cornwalls. What an opportunity you have with those! Can look stunning.

It's nice to see jazzed up LaScalas. I don't even understand why people paint them black unless for a true HT situation. They just scream to be tricked out.

It's cutting the pieces of veneer I fear. I imagine it has to be blazingly precise. Sure looks doable though. I wonder if the grill cloth at the back of the bin affects the bass much?

A pair of heresys in walnut and la scalas in rosewood, both using the glue and iron method. Not finished with the la scalas yet as I. ran into some splitting problems.

Sorry about the size. Haven't figured out how to resize these.

use Photoshop or other image editing programs. Make biggest dimension 350 pixels and 72 dpi, it's that easy. Please don't post super huge images straight out of camera. It hangs up computers of people stuck on dial up (we have some rural members here)

Thanks.

These re-veneered Heresy's now belong to Colter. They were my first project and I was quite anal about everything. Made a couple of nagging mistakes, but nothing major. I used a good paper backed variety so as to not deal with book matching, etc. Using titebond II PVA glue and the iron on method. Take your time and make sure to apply the glue liberally to both the substrate and the back of the veneer. Press slowly and use an old t-shirt between the iron and the veneer. The mistake I made was to handle the veneer with the Titebond on a finger or two, then on the top of the veneer, which was ironed into the pores of the wood surface and showed when they were finished.

Please do not use cheap wood filler on the substrate, you'll ruin your project. Use a good two part bondo type.

BS