Gorgeous '59 Khorn set with provenance

Def Leper

Wow, nice set on ebay right now-- '59 Khorn set with center speaker, all in original condition, and was set up in the owner's living room by PWK himself. Too bad the room (designed with PWK's input) doesn't go with the speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-3pc-KLIPSCHORN-K-357-KHORN-1959-K-5-HORNS_W0QQitemZ5871387148QQcategoryZ61378QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

KLIPSCH2.JPG

The speaker in the middle is what's become known as a "TV front" Cornwall - the primeval version with a narrow slot port in the back. It definitely shows its kinship with the Shorthorn. Very rare, too.

Having the edges painted instead of veneered was a cost saving measure - it shaved $20 off the price of a Shorthorn - at least on a 1963 price list.

It looks like somewhere along the line these were updated with the mushroom midranges and, as noted above, AA crossovers.

Why am I suddenly contemplating a life of crime to raise the $13,000 or so?

Yeah, I think the price is highly optimistic, but it's a common practice with this kind of thing and is a dodge to evade ebay fees. The seller will get inquiries from serious collectors/purchasers and the item will go unsold on ebay, with the deal happening privately.

What would be a realistic price for this combo? $8,000 - $9,000 ?

I found this auction soon after it listed. Unless I'm 'totally' losing it, I'm pretty convinced the starting price was $2,499, not $12,499. I even showed hubby and he didn't see the $12k either. ????

I'm assuming the photo was sent much later? Cuz '59 would have been 40+ years before he died? Doesn't look very young there.

I have seen sets like this go for 2000-4500... usually less than you might "expect" because of driver wear, older x overs, grill cloth torn...etc.

Now as a piece to look at, wow these look fantastic.. How they sound may or may not wow you? That's the big "IF" ? They sure are pretty though!!

i veiwed the auction at 6:30am east coast time and the opening bid was in fact 2499.00.. i have bought from this seller and she doesnt normally include her phone number. its my guess that she changed the opening bid to allow time for phone calls. when visiting my wifes sister in albequrque we shop at a western wear store on central ave.. no offense intended but parts of central ave. are pretty rough. i wouldnt go there with a pocket full of cash alone or unarmed.

I'd say no way will they get 12.5K for these. I love the set, and the story. If I was wealthy enought I'd buy 'em...and the house, too.Can you imagine the words Bose and provenance being used in the same sentence? I mean really, there aren't that many manufacturered speakers that have as historically significant a following as K's. Did I say that right? You know what I mean...;^)

I think that Cornwall is the second one I have ever seen and I have been on ebay since 97 looking.

I would love to buy them to make are pair with my 59 cornwall.

I good freind of mine is really intersted in the Khorn maybe i canget lucky and win them. but not for 12k I think 2500 is fair for the Khorns and maybe 1000-1500 for the Cornwall.

I think all the early type C khorns had painted edges while the B had venear.

Wow! That guy sure gets some good gear. I live in Albuquerque and I know where the seller's electronic store is. If anyone wants me to check them out, let me know and I'll see if he has them for viewing/listening.

tuned4life, the part of Central you must have been in is called "the war zone". It's better then it used to be, but not a good part of town for sure.

I too did a double take on the starting price just now, as I saw these at $2.499.00 and almost mentioned them here at the time, but didn't since even at that starting price, did not figure that modified '59's were all that noteworthy, even with the center speaker.

As a point of reference, on August 18, 2005 a pair of February 1959 Klipschorns with all original drivers/crossovers (which looked mint) sold in eBay auction # 5798887675 for $2,031.00. They were serial numbers 1406 and 1407, Type K-357 Style B.

the fact is that thie price could be anywhere between $2,000 and $12,000, these type of collectors items always have a huge spread. the trick is whether someone who REALLY wants THOSE speakers sees them, for many the price is secondary...Ihate to say it but for many $12,000 for the set up of thier dreams is not too much to spend. They could spend that on new K-horns or spend it on some classics that look the way they have always imagined...You may see this more than once poseted at $12k and if no inspired collector buys them they could be dropped down into more reasonable territory. but there is no logic in collector pricing. regards, tony

Tony, I will agree on the collector aspect. I grew up (ok when I was small and younger hahahahaha) I went to many antique auctions.. I was always amazed at why some stuff went so high. Get two women (could be men, true) who really, really, want something and it isn't about price, it is about acquisition too.

In my own quest, it was about finding exact split La Scalas. It took me 3 years to find.. And I found 8 of them exactly like I wanted. Indianapolis, Indiana to Cleveland, Ohio and back for 4. Indy to Miami, Florida and back for the other 4. Yes it took lots of miles.. but like you said, that was the dream system collection.... so a little more money and time did not matter to me. What mattered to me was the fit. The exact fit. And now having it.. It was worth every dime spent, and time spent too. (Now I realise, some on the board may not understand this or laugh.. I bet everyone if they heard it would go OMG yessssss This sounds great!)

Hey, I am sure we have guys in here with some equipment that costs sooo much it would make others cringe. Still others that could afford it, have next to nothing. We all have priorities.

I thought this looked like a great set.. But to a casual ebayer.. 12k seemed high based on past sets like this. IMO if he documented it, and had a lot more pics.. It would of helped this auction several thousands of dollars..