ID this Veneer and info???

meagain

Definitely a burl. The site (ebay) pegged it as Bird's eye, but I don't believe that.

Could this be a burled maple? The only other wood that I can see comes close is Chilean Laurel Burl.

Would any of the veneer folks here have any clue if this comes in easy-to-do veneers? Or would something like this come in rough pieces that have to be squared off, etc?

And - is there a reason why I never see interesting wood veneers applied to khorns? I'm thinking perhaps the more common types come in larger slabs?

I do have a fantasy of finding a pair of beater khorns at a garage sale and doing something flamboyant to them. I know this isn't going to happen, but I'm creating a folder with veneer information & might start practicing and work up to something amazing.

And, IMO - birch LaScalas just scream to be tricked out, but I rarely see this. I do hate this paint grade birch ply. I'd go with something simple for Scalas. And this might be 'too too' for khorns, but I think it's pretty and would look great with my decor.

Anyone know what this is?

post-20189-13819283741636_thumb.jpg

"Definitely a burl. The site (ebay) pegged it as Bird's eye, but I don't believe that.

Could this be a burled maple? The only other wood that I can see comes close is Chilean Laurel Burl."

Blown up it looks like beautiful maple burl with some birds eyeing in the lighter parts especially in the area of the mid driver. Absolutely beautiful veneer!!![:(].

Here is some that's on ebay now (smallish pieces):

54_12_sb.JPG

These pieces, properly cut, would make a beautifil pair of bases for someone's VRDs. i'm drooling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIRDS-EYE-burl-maple-1-set-B229_W0QQitemZ8263767480QQcategoryZ48315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ya think? I'm seeing quilted maple being more patterned, almost lacewood-ish.

These are definitely burled. But I think alot of these have shared qualities - like this could have some birds' eye, some quilt pattern. But now that I search - quilted is very pretty too!

I'm also intrigued by these. The top pic on the Martinelli horn site:

http://www.woodhorn.com/completespeakers.htm Sort of soft & antique-y looking.

I think I'm setting my aspirations too high. [:P]

The main reason you don't see fancy veneers is demand. Most people want something that matches the rest of their decor. Consider how Klipsch's offerings have changed over the years.

The second reason you don't see things like burl is cost. Most people would are not willing to pay the difference in cost from plain veneer. Burl typically comes in small, odd shaped pieces that have to be matched, trimmed to size, filled, and taped up into whatever size sheet is desired before application. There is a lot of labor involved. Also, burl veneer can be many times the cost of plain veneer to start with. .