Visited Smilin' - VRDs and umm..... Cornwalls

meagain

Lisa, baby, I just bought an extra quad of GEC KT88's, for about 450 shipped. highly recommended[:o][:P][:D]I am also trying to get some more metal based rectifiers inexpensive. You alrady have the Phase spliietr, and your wonderful Amperex 12AX7 long plate D getter 1950's drivers, WOW, you will be in HEAVEN. JMO

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How big is your listening room? The room size may fit the Corns better than KHorns.

Also until you get the VRDs running and find a good preamp(not sure if you found one yet) I would not make a final choice on the speaker. If you end up liking the Cornwalls better you can sell the KHorns and probably get your money back.

You have to realize that everytime someone gives you advice on how something sounds (equipment, speakers, etc) it is how they perceive the sound to be in their system in their listening enviroment.

You have to find what works right for you! You have to sort thru the great advice everyone has given you and find what works right for you in your listening enviroment.

I have never heard anyone on the forum say to use a solid state preamp with a tube amp. It is always been tube preamp with solid state amp but I ended up liking a SS preamp and tube amp better.

Some people are lucky and put together their system quickly but other have to spend time finding the right equipment and speakers that has the right synergy.

You have just started this hobby so it will come together. Be patient and you will find your right system.

You have to realize that everytime someone gives you advice on how something sounds (equipment, speakers, etc) it is how they perceive the sound to be in their system in their listening enviroment.

Absolutely, and then factor in that people actually hear differently (physiologically speaking). Still, anyone that thinks a Cornwall can hang with a Klipschorn on any level is deluding themselves.

FWIW....I sold my La Scala's because I liked the bass response from my Cornwalls MUCH better. And that applies to all genres of music. Others around here prefer the La Scala/Belle Klipsch horn loaded bass. They're certainly not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

Did you sell your La Scala's before listening to them with your VRD's/BBX? If so this would surprise me greatly, because they sound fantastic with this front end. I can't imagine Cornwalls sounding better than this (I prefer the horn loaded bass, and also prefer the 511B to any of the Klipsch squawker horns).

Mike

When I got my Peach and VRDs the LaScalas came alive and pretty much eliminated my corns from the listening room. Let me qualify that comment. I am running 2 subs with the LaScalas.

But there is no way that corns are even in the same ballpark as that combination (Las+subs). No way, no how.

I love my corns for what they are, but they can't put out like Las + subs.

When I got my Peach and VRDs the LaScalas came alive and pretty much eliminated my corns from the listening room. Let me qualify that comment. I am running 2 subs with the LaScalas.

But there is no way that corns are even in the same ballpark as that combination (Las+subs). No way, no how.

I love my corns for what they are, but they can't put out like Las + subs.

That, I believe. But it depends on what you're after. I don't mean in terms of sound only. I mean that Corns for $700 are the best bang for the buck.

I bet you can do even better than Las + subs, but how much do you want to spend?

If a person told me they wanted to build a 2-channel system for under $1500 for everything, Corns would be the speakers.

If you wanted to spend $3k, maybe the Las + subs would be a good recommendation. If it was me, I'd tell the person not to spend $3k and come listen to my Corns first - then, decide.

What did not surprise me is that Meagain is noticing that lowly Corns actually sound like they compete with KHorns. KHorns sound plenty good - and you can say they sound better, but the Corns really are a dynamite speaker for the money.

Meagain, as much as you want to know the science that explains what you're witnessing with your Cornwalls (as well as any speaker), you can see after your months on this forum, that opinions fly all over the spectrum. There are just so many variables that admittedly, you have to come to a point where you decide what you like - just because you like it.

In an odd sort of logic flow, you might find that to make the KHorns have whatever sound aspects that you prefer in the Corns, you might have to:

(1) Change the mid horns;

(2) Change the xovers;

(3) Change the boxes.....

Wait.... Then, you'll have 2 pairs of Corns! [:P]

Lisa, baby, I just bought an extra quad of GEC KT88's, for about 450 shipped. highly recommended[:o][:P][:D]I am also trying to get some more metal based rectifiers inexpensive. You alrady have the Phase spliietr, and your wonderful Amperex 12AX7 long plate D getter 1950's drivers, WOW, you will be in HEAVEN. JMO

Smilin - Stop speaking in tongues. [:|]

JBSL - The wall the khorns are on is 13'. The rest of the room is long & feeds into a dining type area, then kitchen. The TV is between the khorns (major center channel dilemma) and we sit BEHIND the sweet spot. We realize this is not a good situation and should be fix if we get around to remodeling this crumbling horrible '58 house.

VRD's aren't running yet because I need to get tubes.

Mike - I didn't sell the 'Scalas yet. Going to try one sideways under the TV for a center.

Certainly I'll never ever sell the khorns. It's just that I'm puzzled as to why the Cornwalls sound less iritating in the horn section when things get going with the music. Probably the position/room. We're going to attempt a drastic rearrange in the next 2 weeks.

But what really puzzles me is the Cornwall's reputation for doing good by Jazz/acoustic bass. Mine are too boomy. Trying to hook up with Dean to find out more about the crossovers he built for them.

Smilin - Stop speaking in tongues. [:|]

LMAO! That's too funny. Woo

Mike - I didn't sell the 'Scalas yet. Going to try one sideways under the TV for a center.

My response was directed at Piranha

As a side note, I think everything that is being bantered about here is irrelevant because she will not be listening to these speakers with her current SS front end. I think when the front end improves dramatically (and the sources too on a lesser scale), the cream rises to the top.

We will soon see...

Mike

FWIW....I sold my La Scala's because I liked the bass response from my Cornwalls MUCH better. And that applies to all genres of music. Others around here prefer the La Scala/Belle Klipsch horn loaded bass. They're certainly not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

Did you sell your La Scala's before listening to them with your VRD's/BBX? If so this would surprise me greatly, because they sound fantastic with this front end. I can't imagine Cornwalls sounding better than this (I prefer the horn loaded bass, and also prefer the 511B to any of the Klipsch squawker horns).

Mike

Mike,

Nope. For the first six months that I owned my VRD's and Peach they were powering my La Scala's. I just never cared for the sound I got. The mids sounded good, but were overwhelming IMO. Like I said before, to each his own. Everyone likes different things in life. I like Cornwall's, you like La Scala's. I can live with that. Enjoy the music.

Flame away guys!

Was just curious if you were using the Universal ALKs like I am. I have heard Cornwalls on a number of occasions, and have even had them hooked up to my old rig when I had my Chorus's as my main speakers. I thought the CW's and the Chorus both sounded outstanding, but still prefer the sound of the La Scala's. For me it's not even close. That's why they made more than one speaker, thank God. [:D]

My LaScalas have way tighter bass over the Cornwalls.

Mike - using the same gear on all these speakers. The gear isn't the factor cuz I have nice tight bass on the Khorns & Scalas. Boomy on the Cornwalls - and that's what's puzzling because I've not heard them having a rep for that.

Cornwalls need a big room to sound their best. I've done it both ways. The Cornwalls will excite room nodes like crazy in a small room making them sound boomy - "room boom." I had my Cornwalls in a 22'x30' room (CWs in corners of the short wall) and they sounded incredibly good.

Conversely I like La Scalas in a smaller vs. a large room; the smaller room punches up the the somewhat absent low bass nicely. Of course with a sub...

I am a firm believer that speaker system must match the room.

I wasn't building the ALK Jr. at the time and I think the ALKs were more than Tom wanted to spend at the time for networks. Looking back on it, and knowing what I know now, the Type A in any configuration doomed the LaScala to failure in Tom's room and for his listening habits.