Original LaScalas are back in the lineup!?

pauln

For $1500 less than the new LSII's, it sure makes sense to me to keep the originals in the line up. The fancy veneer doesn't mean that much to me, so I'm more than happy with my originals. Some will say the new 1" mdf material or whatever they're now made of gives a bit more bass, but I use a sub anyway, so the tiny bit of extra bass with the new model is a moot point. Run what'cha brung.

"Limited availability outside North America."

I'll try to keep my Klipschorns out of the rain.

That's funny, Dean. But really, though, there are means other than rain that cause damage to mdf. Rings left from glasses, plumbing leaks, too much humidity, a roof or window leak that travels down a wall and onto the floor, moving them in an uncovered vehicle, and alot of other little things that could crop up once or twice in 20-30 years.

Is there anybody on this forum who never has had something made of mdf go to **it? Wood's the best.

I think the LAS2 sounds a lot better than the old LAS.

The problem with the old LAS was vibrations on the side panels. The original fix was to put fins in between the doghouse and side walls of the bass bin to make it more rigid. Since LAS's vary a lot in MFG, each one had to be hand made making adding too much cost.

The new 1" MDF is the new fix. LAS2's weighs the same as a Khorn.

If you have an original LAS, look at making stiffeners. It makes a big difference.

JM