Am I Going Backwards Here

thebes

Just as a further question - is the sub ported? I have found that with sealed Heresies the best match is a sealed sub unit. With ported units they generally have trouble keeping up with the speed of the Heresy Bass.

I get so sick of hearing people say this. It's another one of those all-time myths.

It doesn't matter if a subwoofer is sealed or ported, if designed correctly using the proper driver, amplifier and enclosure, either subwoofer will be just as quick as the next.

I have heard plenty of "slow" sealed subs and plenty of "quick" ported subs. In fact, the ported subs that I'm getting ready to build have a MAX group delay of only 11ms at 17Hz. If I were to make them sealed and perform near the same as ported, that group delay goes up to nearly 25ms at 20Hz.

Which one of those designs do you think will sound "slow"?

The important word you obviously did not understand in my original reply was "generally". It does not imply that there is anything inherently wrong with the design of a ported sub-woofer - merely that the majority of ported designs out there are not capable of keeping up with Heresy speakers.

It is a rule of thumb guide and nothing more.

No... Obviously, I DO understand. It is stupid to say that "most" ported subs are incapable because it's not true. Like I said, there are an equal amount of sealed subs out there that sound like garbage as well.

I'm not talking about cheap so-called subs you get at your local electronics store for $300 or less.

And if you want a sub with absolute speed and attack, the only real way to go is either IB or dipole.

BTW, Heresy's are not exactly you typical Electrostat loudspeaker if you really want to talk about fast speakers.

Hello Marty - I always like to chime in on Heresy conversations - They are my favorite versatile speaker. You sub set up seems fine to this country boy and I agree that a sub and heresy's make for very fine listening.

Having said all that - after nearly thirty years of heresy listening I always end up liking them best when they are off the floor and in corners. In the ceiling corners is very pleasing to my ears. To each his own...

BTW - thanks for sending the twins over - They left after a couple of days and were quite bedraggled. I was so glad to find a couple of women that could last long enough to satisfy me.....

Hello Zentar and welcome ot the Forum. Got any stories, adventures, questions or other stuff you want to share?

Thanks Speed, I'll try them that way also.

Henry, from using our revitalized search function it appars you do know

your way around the Heresy's. I've dialed ithem in better and the

soond has improved but I do notice the boxes vibrate more than when

placed on the floor. No wonder they went to MDF on these.

I'll try the parrelel, and run up a set of stands and make finald

ecisions after spending awhile with them. They may be going to my

ex as a birthday present anyways.

By the way these are HLW's which I think means Heresy's Lacquer Walnut

or is it Light Walnut? If lacquer do I give them the BLO

treatment?

So that's where The Twins got to. the did mention something about

"UIncle Henry". I'm starting tot get suspicoious that they don't have

as many uncles as they claim they have.

Different can be better, hey we aren't married to our speakers are we? This isn't Russia Danny, is this Russia? Your not cheating on them. Some times you just need some strange to spice it up. Its cool, don't think your going backwards. Take 'er easy and keep on going.

Henry, from using our revitalized search function it appars you do know your way around the Heresy's. I've dialed ithem in better and the soond has improved but I do notice the boxes vibrate more than when placed on the floor. No wonder they went to MDF on these. I'll try the parrelel, and run up a set of stands and make finald ecisions after spending awhile with them. They may be going to my ex as a birthday present anyways.

So that's where The Twins got to. the did mention something about "UIncle Henry". I'm starting tot get suspicoious that they don't have as many uncles as they claim they have.

I have always had them sturdily monted, on a shelf or independently suspended and haven't had a rattle problem. I have little quarrel with MDF - My DIY MDF speaker boxes sound great. It is just a really dusty pain to work with. As to LAcquer - I don't know if the BLO treatment does real well - there is limited porosity (OK, it may not pass as a legal word in scrabble, but you catch the drift).

I hope I haven't ruined the twins for you.....

I guess applying BLO over a previously laquered surface is possible, but I'd be worried that you couldn't remove all the old laquer from the actual woodgrain without removing too much veneer. A solvent would get most of it off, but there would be lacquer residue in the actual grain - but maybe this doesn't matter though.

Ever wonder why the Heresy tweeters are 3dB hotter than the rest of the Heritage? It's because they were made to be placed in the corners on the floor. All the other Heritage have elevated tweeters. The Heresy tweeter are low and need a little boost. If you elevate Heresys you need to do the mod that drops the tweets 3dB. This alone may cause you to think they don't need a sub.

Heresys on the floor in corners should sound fine and have plenty of bass- no sub needed. If you do the mod and elevate them to ear level, well I liked them just fine that way too, but some will feel they need a sub.

Pauln

I continue to experiment. Built these risers out of oak, figuring

it's dense nature would help the coupling, and since this picture was

taken I've stained them with some MinWax Special Oak which gets them

pretty close to the speakers finish. Also made them so they be

installed without brackets or screws.

Swapped out the sub and, put these babies on, and the bass and mids

sound better then with the sub. A little bright in this

configuration, but I've found these little guys to be very sensitive to

placement and need to do more along those lines. And then maybe

try the changing tap thingy.

I suspect they'll end up on the risers but it's nice to know I'm not

breaking any laws of stereo nature by playing around with a sub.

post-14801-1381928444912_thumb.jpg

Marty,

If you get yourself a sufficiently sophistocated low pass filter (with

adjustable cutuff frequency and amplitude) for the sub, you can leave

the Heresys connected directly to the amp sans crossover and adjust the

low pass so the sub fills in below the mains without intruding on their

territory.

Leo