Getting re- zappered tomorrow

3dzapper

Bob??? If you are even remotely eligible for an ICD, don't think twice. In my case even though the device never fired, it was a life saver.

Tim, No, it went back to the factory for study re the defective chip.

Good luck with the new zapper, just take it easy, and don't over do it! Your answer to Bob is correct, life itself is a wonderful gift, and you do what needs to be done to enjoy that gift. Every day you wake up IS a special day!!

Rick,

The docs are hinting that I may need one of these devices. Guess they are likely to have me audition for one next week. They have an EKG strip of mine that shows a sucession of 9 non-effective heartbeats in a row that has them somewhat concerned. Since I was awake and alert at the time this supposedly occured and did not feel a thing, I am having a lot of trouble believing it was real.

Bob

That's a run of PVCs Bob (Premature Ventricular Contractions) That could be significant if were a longer string leading to dizzyness or fainting. Not good when you are driving. If you wait until you do actually faint, they will take away your driving privelages at least for a while even after you get a cardioverter. It is unlikely the it will fire from a string of PVCs. More likely it will restore normal rhythm by cardioversion, a fast form of pacing designed to get the heart out of tachycardia.

PVCs were the reason I was fitted with a device in the first place. I had so many, every other beat, that I was experiencing symptoms. That plus I met other criteria.

Are they going to do an EP study? Usually, they will put in an ICD right there if one is indicated. The surgery itself is not too bad, they use good drugs.-) The area around the ICD is sore for a few days and you have to restrict your activities for several weeks while the leads grow attached. After that you hardly know it's there but it is reassuring to yourself and , especially, your family to know it is there if ever it is needed. 911 is too slow.

Rick

Rick, The docs are hinting that I may need one of these devices. Guess they are likely to have me audition for one next week. They have an EKG strip of mine that shows a sucession of 9 non-effective heartbeats in a row that has them somewhat concerned. Since I was awake and alert at the time this supposedly occured and did not feel a thing, I am having a lot of trouble believing it was real. Bob

You don't know me, and I may be sticking my nose where it doesn't belong,(I have a bad habit of doing that), but Bob, the doctors do know what's best. I have been dealing with heart related problems for 12 years, and still have a hard time accepting the facts. Listen to the doctors, just because you don't feel anything, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Why do you go to them if you aren't going to listen? Take care of yourself, you owe that to yourself and your family.Heart research has come along way in the past 20 years, and there is no reason to doubt your doctors. They do things today that were impossible 20 or 30 years ago.Be an old dog, not a stubborn old dog. Good Luck Sir!

Rick,

Happened upon this after the event - very glad it went well. How much juice does the new one put out? Can you jump start a car?

BEC,

Think of it as a crossover upgrade, the doctor is you and you are your own customer. Guess what - if the Doc says you need it - you need it.

Rick,

Happened upon this after the event - very glad it went well. How much juice does the new one put out? Can you jump start a car?

BEC,

Think of it as a crossover upgrade, the doctor is you and you are your own customer. Guess what - if the Doc says you need it - you need it.

I am not fighting with the Docs on this thing. Me and heart problems go way back. Several angioplasty procedures, bypass of 5 arterys and, (latest) a transmyocardial revascularization. My chest already looks like a rural Arkansas roadmap, so a few more scars, creatively placed, will be fine.

Bob