SET Recomendations

jcmusic

Canyonman,

One other 2A3 integrated that has not been mentioned is built by Cary. Cary amps are well regarded and perhaps pricey. I've seen these from time to time on Audiogon. Don't know what the going price would be on these.

One forum member, mikebse2a3, has one of these and just posted a pic in another thread.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dee,

I noticed the Cary of Mike's has two 2A3's per channel what mode are they operated in? I only found information on the Cary site for CAD 2A3si which is push pull 2A3's I bet its a very good amp but not SET.

correction just found the CAD 2A3i manual it's also Push Pull 2A3's .

Craig

Dee,

I noticed the Cary of Mike's has two 2A3's per channel what mode are they operated in? I only found information on the Cary site for CAD 2A3si which is push pull 2A3's I bet its a very good amp but not SET.

correction just found the CAD 2A3i manual it's also Push Pull 2A3's .

Craig

Dee and Craig,

Yes the CAD 2A3i is an integrated Push/Pull amp and Cary also made a CAD 2A3-SI later. The CAD 2A3i has tube rectifiers and uses 12AU7 and 6SN7 for input and phase splitter/driver. The CAD 2A3-SI uses solid state rectifiers and uses 6DJ8 and 6BL7 for input and phase splitter/driver. Cary also produced the CAD2A3 and CAD-2A3SA which are push/pull 2A3 amplifiers.

I have both 2A3 Single Ended and 2A3 Push/Pull amplifiers and I will say the 2A3 is just a great amplifier tube whichever design it is used in.

mike[:)]

Hello

Just be careful to some details :

power output rms Watts : 3W for a 2A3, 6-7W for a 300B, with REASONABLE life expectancy, that is to say : 300Vdc (2A3), 400Vdc (300B) plate voltages. You'll find amps claiming 12W output for a single ended 300B : this is not tube-wise...

I have a 300B with switchable output power (4W/8W) : the 4W position is the one I use the most often, and it runs the tubes very cool (300Vdc on plate, 50madc plate current) and has no problem to drive my HERESY 1. I read that you have KLIPSCHORN... So you can be very tube-wise !

Hello

Just be careful to some details :

power output rms Watts : 3W for a 2A3, 6-7W for a 300B, with REASONABLE life expectancy, that is to say : 300Vdc (2A3), 400Vdc (300B) plate voltages. You'll find amps claiming 12W output for a single ended 300B : this is not tube-wise...

While I wouldn't squeeze out 12W out of a WE300B, I wouldn't have too much second tought at pushing to the limit something like an EH or a JJ 300b since they are rather cheap. Getting 5 000 hours out of them instead of 10 000 ain't to much of a big deal. Some designers do prefer the sound of the 300B pushed a bit.

I would like to also suggest the Moth Audio Si 2A3 integrated amplifier. Although I was able to purchase mine from Moth as a parts-only kit for your approximate budget, they are normally factory-built products.

The Si2A3 has gotten very good reviews, and performs as well or 'better' than my other SET amplifiers -- Welborne Labs Moondogs, and Ultrapathed parafeed monoblocks. The Moth uses a single 6SL7 direct coupled to the 2A3, with regulated DC heater supplies. There are no coupling capacitors in the signal path. The output transformers are outstanding, and are sourced from Electra-Print.

I'm not sure of the status of the company right now, so don't know if they are still in operation. I have seen Moth gear only occasionally on ebay and Audiogon, but this is a really fine-sounding single-ended amp! If you like sort of retro Art Deco design, the aesthetics are pretty cool, as well.

It has a three input selector switch plus stereo volume control.

BTW: If there was another non-integrated power amp you found that you liked, it would be very easy to install 6 RCA jacks, a make-before-break selector switch, and either dual-mono or stereo volume controls. This would of course require some work, and I would be glad to help if I could.

Erik

edit:http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0600/mothsi2a3.htm

edit: Moth website appears to not be working.

I expect to be flamed for this, but what about some of the overseas offerings listed on ebay.

Just one example, not meant to be the only one....just a representative example

http://cgi.ebay.com/Goldbaile-300B-Class-A-Vavle-Tube-Int-Amp-NR_W0QQitemZ9706706760QQcategoryZ39997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Given the cost advantages over there, I have wonder whether they are really competative soundwise with the "fancy" high priced stuff. Part of me wants to think that they are just as good and a deal....isn't the magic of a SET in the circuit simplisity? If so, why can't someone with cheaper access to parts and labor make one that is competative at a low price. Any experiences?

P.S. - Buy American [:D]

Thanks for your imput, I have already purchased a ASL Orchid 2a3 SET. I hope to have it buy the end of the week. After a short session I will post some results. As far as the e-bay listing if I could get one of those for say $200 I might try one, just to see what's up.

canyonman,

I see you have made a purchase. FYI, there was a FI "X" with Magnequest trannies listed on Audiogon which surely would have been several steps up in audio presentation. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1148665301

If your ASL is stock, it can be improved with the modifications offered by one company, http://www.responseaudio.com/reference%20asl%20set.htm.

Klipsch out.