Weak K77's

I have a pair of really old K77's that play really weak. The sound is clear, just not as loud as it should be (compared to other K77's). Is there any truth that old drivers need to be re-magnetized? If so, where can I have this done? I really want to keep these tweeters.

Thanks,

Tony

Time, to some extent. Exposure to another magnet. A powerful neodymium magnet may kill an alnico very quickly. A mechanical shock is the most likely thing. Like shipping them back from a place that re-mags them.

Bob Crites

Time, to some extent. Exposure to another magnet. A powerful neodymium magnet may kill an alnico very quickly. A mechanical shock is the most likely thing. Like shipping them back from a place that re-mags them. Bob Crites

WOW!!! [:P][:D]...Bill

I have a pair of really old K77's that play really weak. The sound is clear, just not as loud as it should be (compared to other K77's). Is there any truth that old drivers need to be re-magnetized? If so, where can I have this done? I really want to keep these tweeters.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony sometimes this can be caused by a corroded connection at the rivet and solder terminal of some K77s, do you no what the resistance of these read? If not try reading their resistance at the solder terminals and if it's high (should read approx. 6.2 ohms) then try reading the resistance in the middle of the rivet (where the voice coil wire is soldered) that holds the solder terminal and if it's around the 6.2 ohms then you can probably repair them by wrapping a fine piece of wire around the solder terminal and soldering it to the terminal and to the center of the rivet where the voice coil wire is soldered.

One other thing that I've seen cause Alnico to loose its strength is exposure to Heat which happened from the speakers being used outdoors in the sunlight.

mike[:)]

Thanks,

Tony

Tony sometimes this can be caused by a corroded connection at the rivet and solder terminal of some K77s, do you no what the resistance of these read? If not try reading their resistance at the solder terminals and if it's high (should read approx. 6.2 ohms) then try reading the resistance in the middle of the rivet (where the voice coil wire is soldered) that holds the solder terminal and if it's around the 6.2 ohms then you can probably repair them by wrapping a fine piece of wire around the solder terminal and soldering it to the terminal and to the center of the rivet where the voice coil wire is soldered.

One other thing that I've seen cause Alnico to loose its strength is exposure to Heat which happened from the speakers being used outdoors in the sunlight.

mike[:)]

I'll be pulling these out of the cabinets soon for a closer inspection and to test across for resistance.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

If those are very old K-77s they may be 16 ohm. In that case look for about 11 ohms when measuring the coil if the diaphragms are original and about 9 ohms if they have been replaced.

Bob